Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Man of Honour
If you ever get a chance the milian bike show is amazing dwarfs the nec

I’ve been to that one and SWISS-MOTO. Both had brand new bikes being unveiled and were pretty entertaining. The Swiss one has wheelie training machines, stunt demos, and strip tease shows!

Soldato
So Gents, I'll be looking to pick up my first motorbike soon. I passed about 3 years ago but certain situations meant i wasn't able to get a motorbike at the time

I would like to do some commuting on the bike. My commute is 56 miles one way; about 20 of those miles is dual carriageway the rest is country lines and brief stints through the city.

Any tips and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Transmission breaker
Don
Grab a hornet, they are cheap, reliable. Quick enough to enjoy but sensible enough to learn on, and you can get them with a screen/fairing for the commute.
I still have a 2003 one in my shed that I will be selling in the spring. Just got to swap in the new gearbox so it has a usable 6th gear again!
Its been a brilliant bike, even with a busted 6th gear, I rode it for nearly 2 years and it never gave me any issues, apart from a faulty speedo sensor.
I would ride it still today if I didn't have to make room for the other bikes in the fleet!!

Man of Honour
The Hornet is a great shout, the only possible downside being the lack of weather protection for a 112 mile round trip daily. It may not bother you but keeping the wind off you reduces fatigue and makes the overall experience better. A Hornet with a good aftermarket screen might be the answer!

Transmission breaker
Don
The Hornet is a great shout, the only possible downside being the lack of weather protection for a 112 mile round trip daily. It may not bother you but keeping the wind off you reduces fatigue and makes the overall experience better. A Hornet with a good aftermarket screen might be the answer!

Old pic, but this one shows the factory faired hornet screen on mine.

Hornet60056.jpg

Soldato
Thank you for the recommendation, I'll add it to the list of bikes I'm looking at.

I forgot to mention that I'll need to leave it on the driveway. I'm guessing a cover and disk lock/chain should be sufficient to deter the opportunistic thieves.

Transmission breaker
Don
I use a large chain with a wall anchor from Oxford, and if I leave them outside, ALWAYS put a cover on it.
Covers not only protect from rain and weather in general, they also make noise when being removed, hide what protection measures you have in place, and most of all, don't let them see what bike you a actually have under there :D

Soldato
So i got a Kawasaki Er-6f. It has heated grip and a top box, which should be everything i need to commute with. Arranged for it to be delivered on friday.

Sorted myself out with an Oxford Nemesis and a Wall anchor to go with it. Will pick up some covers tomorrow and then it should be all set. Will get it fitted once the bike arrives so i can position it correctly.

Transmission breaker
Don
So i got a Kawasaki Er-6f. It has heated grip and a top box, which should be everything i need to commute with. Arranged for it to be delivered on friday.

Sorted myself out with an Oxford Nemesis and a Wall anchor to go with it. Will pick up some covers tomorrow and then it should be all set. Will get it fitted once the bike arrives so i can position it correctly.

Good man! Enjoy it :)

Soldato
Took the bike out today and it was great. I have waited 7 years for this.

The bike felt good, I don't have any complaints on how it rides but i don't have much to compare it to. My skills are lacking :D but that will come with time. Need to get more practise in before I commute though as well as figuring out clothing.

Thanks everyone

Caporegime

The bike felt good, I don't have any complaints on how it rides but i don't have much to compare it to. My skills are lacking :D but that will come with time. Need to get more practise in before I commute though as well as figuring out clothing.

Thanks everyone

That's awesome mate, congrats :D

You've gotta post pics tho or your posts are invalid!

Transmission breaker
Don

Thanks everyone

Amazing, happy for you!
Best way to learn what works for your commute is just to start doing it!!

Soldato
That's awesome mate, congrats :D

You've gotta post pics tho or your posts are invalid!

Here you go

IMG-20211120-093034.jpg

Another 70 miles of riding today (about 2 hours). Physically fine but mentally getting tired towards the end, I was making mistakes like turning on the hazards when trying to turn off the indicators.

I'll try commuting on Wednesday if the weather isn't too crap. Need to figure out what i'm going to do on gym days though.

Back
Top Bottom