What annoys you about your current car?

Soldato
This inspired me to Google for the only thing that rarely annoys me about my M235i (touch wood), the rolling stop/go engine response. Say you're coming up to an empty junction, you slow to check each direction, maybe less than 5mph to give each way a proper double check before you head out. But when you hit the throttle next it can take a half to 1 second before you get any go. It may not sound like much but it feels like an eternity and really doesn't inspire confidence that if you did misjudge a situation and needed to make a more urgent getaway it won't deliver. It seems like there are mixed reports from others with exactly this issue, some people saying to drive in Sport all the time or Sport+, or fiddle with the DTC/DSC. Sometimes you want comfort mode and safety computers on though..

Soldato
Something like Autobrite Repel will work well and last several month.

I've tried RainX before, but the water still tends to bead up on mirrors, I guess due to the aerodynamics, there's not enough airflow to keep the glass clear.

Thanks both, will have a look into those. Frankly it's only needed over the winter months with shorter daylight hours (plus likelihood of more rain), so i'm not adverse to having to re-apply it every couple of months if required.

On the Mini however, you pull the stalk down, and it will jump back to the middle position right away, even though you are currently indicating.

Are you not pushing it down far enough? I thought most modern cars had a soft click for lane indicators (i believe three flashes), and then a hard click for continuous indicating until either the steering wheel has rotated enough of an angle to switch it off, or manually switched off. If not that's a very poor design.

Associate
just push the indicator the same way to cancel it, stops you from accidentally pushing it the wrong way...

I have tried this and it will work, but you have to remember to pull it all the way down/up or it keeps flashing as your lane changer then takes over. The design just seems unnecessary.

just push the indicator the same way to cancel it, stops you from accidentally pushing it the wrong way...

Thanks both, will have a look into those. Frankly it's only needed over the winter months with shorter daylight hours (plus likelihood of more rain), so i'm not adverse to having to re-apply it every couple of months if required.

Are you not pushing it down far enough? I thought most modern cars had a soft click for lane indicators (i believe three flashes), and then a hard click for continuous indicating until either the steering wheel has rotated enough of an angle to switch it off, or manually switched off. If not that's a very poor design.

Yep, definiteley pulling it far enough down as I use lane changer when on the motor way, and that will go off after 3 flashes. Really don't understand why they went with this design. I wonder if BMW's have a similar system?

Soldato

I assume it's the same as the e92 indicator, where a soft push it will flick back to centre, and then deactivate after 3 flashes. If you push it harder, past another switch, it will still flick back to centre, but will keep indicating indefinitely until you've either turned far enough to auto turn it off, or you turn it off. To turn it off, you can just soft touch it in the same direction.

Associate
This inspired me to Google for the only thing that rarely annoys me about my M235i (touch wood), the rolling stop/go engine response. Say you're coming up to an empty junction, you slow to check each direction, maybe less than 5mph to give each way a proper double check before you head out. But when you hit the throttle next it can take a half to 1 second before you get any go. It may not sound like much but it feels like an eternity and really doesn't inspire confidence that if you did misjudge a situation and needed to make a more urgent getaway it won't deliver. It seems like there are mixed reports from others with exactly this issue, some people saying to drive in Sport all the time or Sport+, or fiddle with the DTC/DSC. Sometimes you want comfort mode and safety computers on though..

So my M135i does this. Seems like a characteristic of the Aisin gearbox. You can customise ‘Sport Individual’ and set just the transmission to sport which does bypass the issue, albeit in a not very convenient way.
Mines been in at BMW for a squeaky drivers seat and I asked them to look into it. They claim they’ve made an adaptation to the gearbox to help with it. I’m not convinced.

Permabanned
The amount of bugs Volkswagen released the infotainment software with.
Such as....
Cant login your user so logs in as guest and disables a load of the online features.
Using the ACC, detects speeds via satnav/sign recognition but thinks they are in KPH so thinks its 70 KPH, sets speed to 43 MPH and brakes accordingly.
Alarm randomly thinks there is activity around the car, sets alarm off, cannot turn alarm off, have to drive 2 miles home with the alarm going off.
Also, the slider controls are not backlit so you cant see them in the dark.

Otherwise its a great all rounder. :cry:

Man of Honour
Yep, definiteley pulling it far enough down as I use lane changer when on the motor way, and that will go off after 3 flashes. Really don't understand why they went with this design. I wonder if BMW's have a similar system?

They do, we have a Mini and a BMW and the indicators function in the same way. But until you started mentioning it I'd never given the way they work even a second thought - they just, work. So I'm not sure why you're having such an issue with them :D

Soldato
So my M135i does this. Seems like a characteristic of the Aisin gearbox. You can customise ‘Sport Individual’ and set just the transmission to sport which does bypass the issue, albeit in a not very convenient way.
Mines been in at BMW for a squeaky drivers seat and I asked them to look into it. They claim they’ve made an adaptation to the gearbox to help with it. I’m not convinced.
I've been in Sport+ mode a bit for pulling up to junctions recently and it does seem to make a huge difference. I'd be interested to hear what this nondescript "adaptation to the gearbox" entailed!

Soldato
I've been in Sport+ mode a bit for pulling up to junctions recently and it does seem to make a huge difference. I'd be interested to hear what this nondescript "adaptation to the gearbox" entailed!
"Customers car put into Sport+ mode to fix gearbox issue"

Kei

Kei

Soldato
I have tried this and it will work, but you have to remember to pull it all the way down/up or it keeps flashing as your lane changer then takes over. The design just seems unnecessary.
Yep, definitely pulling it far enough down as I use lane changer when on the motor way, and that will go off after 3 flashes. Really don't understand why they went with this design. I wonder if BMW's have a similar system?
Works perfectly for me, and I'm used to the old school mechanical indicator stalks that latch. If it doesn't auto cancel, just a dab like you would for changing lanes will cancel. BMW's do use the same system. Most modern cars I've been in also use the same style system.

My gripes:

2020 Mini clubman cooper S auto - Two annoyances, which are common to all the BMW digitally controlled automatics. It is impossible to shift into neutral without starting the engine. The other is if you forget to fasten the seatbelt when attempting to move the car, it will drop the transmission back into park. My first gen 3 mini with the aisin autobox had neither of these annoyances. (probably as it had the old clickety clack style shifter)

1995 Saab 900 turbo - turbo lag, fuel consumption, heavy clutch and a high final drive ratio that makes crawling in traffic very clutch intensive

Last edited:
Soldato
The auto windscreen wipers sometimes randomly sweep across windscreen when there’s nothing there! Then in heavy drizzle it doesn’t move. So need to flick stick up for a single sweep. Sensor is below rear view mirror and to the left.

Soldato
The build quality between my F15 X5 and W205 C Class is night and day. in 2 and a bit years I had not a single rattle from the X5 interior, and the C Class in 6 months the C Class is driving me crazy. I expected a slight downgrade but it's progressively gnawing away at me.

Associate
Having to spend a couple of minutes before setting off in the Octavia this involves waiting for the touchscreen to boot up and I proceed to turn off stop/start and select my individual driving mode, also occasionally adjust at the climate. My old MK3 had physical buttons so would be instant. Really finding it difficult why VAG got rid of physical dials/buttons.

I mean there isn't even a call end button on the steering wheel, it's buried in the touchscreen, talk about going backwards :confused:

Back
Top Bottom