*** HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
My headset has been delivered. It doesn't have the updated cable which I though was supposed to be shipping out with all new headsets :mad: As the owner of an AMD motherboard this doesn't fill me with confidence given all the problems I've read about. Guess I'll have to get on the phone to HP and request the updated cable.

Associate
Just called HP support, new cable ordered and should be with me on Friday :) Agent I spoke to was knowledgeable, knew right away about the issue with AMD systems, and helpful. At least bodes well should I ever need to contact them again in the future. Will give it a quick test tonight but if I run into any issues I'll just wait for the new cable to turn up.

Associate
Quick first impressions (disclaimer tested without my glasses, I have prescription lenses inserts for my CV1):

• Visual clarity: When in the sweet spot fantastic, looked on par with my 27" 1080p monitors. Looking around with my eyeballs not so great, maybe a little worse than my CV1.
  • FoV: A little disapointing. Was expecting a little bump over my CV1 based on review comparisons I'd seen but it doesn't appear to be any better. Will need to do some more scientific back to back testing if I can. Couldn't find where I can check the IPD setting in WMR portal - noticed the slider has a big effect on the FoV.
  • Sound: Was constantly cutting in and out on the one game, AMS2, I was able to test in. Don't know if this is the cable as it seemed a little hard to be sure it was firmly attached into the headset. Nothing showing for the headset in my list of sound devices in Windows (running Win 10 2021H2 update). Will see if the new cable fixes this.
  • Ergonomics: Headset seems comfortable enough but the thick textured cable is an issue. I route it through one of the two holes in the back of my race seat, which are lined with plastic, and its so stiff and grippy that it effectively snags and pulls at the headset when looking to one side. Will need to find a solution to this if I keep the headset.

Associate
For the sound, there are a couple of sprung pins in the swivel, try undoing the screw and making sure they are free to move and contact the corresponding contact plate. Mine was crackling a little on the left one but has been fine since reseating it.

The cable becomes less sticky over time, you could wrap the section that passes through the chair with PVC tape to reduce the friction.

Soldato
Quick first impressions (disclaimer tested without my glasses, I have prescription lenses inserts for my CV1):

• Visual clarity: When in the sweet spot fantastic, looked on par with my 27" 1080p monitors. Looking around with my eyeballs not so great, maybe a little worse than my CV1.
  • FoV: A little disapointing. Was expecting a little bump over my CV1 based on review comparisons I'd seen but it doesn't appear to be any better. Will need to do some more scientific back to back testing if I can. Couldn't find where I can check the IPD setting in WMR portal - noticed the slider has a big effect on the FoV.
  • Sound: Was constantly cutting in and out on the one game, AMS2, I was able to test in. Don't know if this is the cable as it seemed a little hard to be sure it was firmly attached into the headset. Nothing showing for the headset in my list of sound devices in Windows (running Win 10 2021H2 update). Will see if the new cable fixes this.
  • Ergonomics: Headset seems comfortable enough but the thick textured cable is an issue. I route it through one of the two holes in the back of my race seat, which are lined with plastic, and its so stiff and grippy that it effectively snags and pulls at the headset when looking to one side. Will need to find a solution to this if I keep the headset.
A few things.
1) sweet spot is a little worse than CV1. Oculus have always done well with sweetspot - quest 2 even better.
Personally it is not an issue for me. Am so used to small fov of CV1 that I always use my head to look around (1500 hrs in elite dangerous in CV1 trained me) but YMMV.
2) FOV with supplied faceplate is rubbish , worse than quest 2, CV1 and dk2 for me. It has been updated in the new G2 out in the states...... Google the franken mod, it's a cheap way to maximise the fov. You can do it from £5 up to £35 and makes a big difference , my fov is now bigger than quest 2 and CV1.

3) the sound cut out is a known issue and is linked to your v1 cable. For now don't go beyond 50% volume (it helps but not perfect) but should be fixed when you get your free replacement cable. I used to have it too but it's fine now.

4) you are right on the sticky cable. I don't like it either and am dissapointed it was not addressed in the V2 cable. The tape suggestion is a good one.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks everyone for the responses :)

HP have said they are going to make the new faceplate shipping on US models available to purchase. From the few comparisons I've read this has helped with both FoV and sweet spot.

Hopefully the cable eases up over time. I did wonder about wrapping it something slippery if it doesn't - PVC tape sounds worth investigating. As would maybe attaching a pulley on the wall behind my rig.

Associate
I'm using the standard gasket on my G2 and the fov doesn't seem any worse than my lenovo or dk2 before, also if I push my face right into the foam to compress it (move my eyes closer to the lenses) then it doesn't increase the fov for me as I can just see the straight edges of the screens.
Am I doing something wrong? I generally set my ipd to about 63.5-64, not been properly measured but that's what I made it in a mirror with a vernier caliper and it is comfortable in use.

The small sweet spot isn't an issue for me, I've trained on the lenovo which was smaller so it's a natural motion for me to turn my head now.

Soldato
If you can see the edges of the screen then that is the max fov the headset can offer.
Different faces have different results.

You can get software to accurately measure your FOV

I did my tests sitting in my asp explorer in elite dangerous.

Associate
Perhaps I have the same exact face that they modelled the G2 gasket on? :D
I've not looked into measuring it, I may do out of curiosity though. The scuba mask effect has never really bothered me at all in VR though, perhaps it's because I've never tried something with high FOV so none the wiser? I've always considered that most of the games I play in VR (elite/DCS/project cars) have the player with a helmet on so I factor that into the the scuba view being ok.

Soldato
G2 available from Amazon.fr £278inc VAT customs and shipping

Look at the ones from Amazon Warehouse

I assume it's just the headset, no controllers and is a customer return. Most likely a V1 cable.

Associate
I've requested a return from HP. Just too many usability issues for me even if the v2 cable would have sorted out the audio issues I experienced.
  • Having back to back tested with my Rift CV1 the field of view I was getting was slightly smaller, both in the horizontal and vertical planes.
  • The sweet spot is too small for me, back to back testing with the Rift really emphasised this. Just glancing down at a cars dashboard (tested in both AMS2 and ACC) was out of the question. It also took a lot of adjustment just to get in it.
  • I couldn't get the headset comfortable. I've got big ears and the chunky headband was pressing down on them. Couldn't decide whether to pull the top of my ears out from under the band or leave them a little squashed underneath.
  • The black levels (testing in ACC) left a little to be desired - could have lived with this if not for my other issues.
On the plus side performance, running at 100% resolution in Steam VR and in game, was fine. As good as my Rift in ACC where you are primarily CPU limited.

Associate
So my 3070FE arrived today to replace the 1070, switched the cards, clean install of the drivers and the reverb now decides to give me a usb error :(

Exactly the same USB port it was in before just updated drivers and GPU.

Switched back to the 1070 and reinstalled the previous drivers and no bueno. Tried every single USB port and display port and either gives me a 4-1 or 7-13 error. I've ordered a powered pcie usb card which seems to be the most reliable way of getting them to work.

Any other suggestions?

Oh and the FE cards are a thing of beauty, I've never seen a PC component so nicely made :)

Soldato
I've requested a return from HP. Just too many usability issues for me even if the v2 cable would have sorted out the audio issues I experienced.
  • Having back to back tested with my Rift CV1 the field of view I was getting was slightly smaller, both in the horizontal and vertical planes.
  • The sweet spot is too small for me, back to back testing with the Rift really emphasised this. Just glancing down at a cars dashboard (tested in both AMS2 and ACC) was out of the question. It also took a lot of adjustment just to get in it.
  • I couldn't get the headset comfortable. I've got big ears and the chunky headband was pressing down on them. Couldn't decide whether to pull the top of my ears out from under the band or leave them a little squashed underneath.
  • The black levels (testing in ACC) left a little to be desired - could have lived with this if not for my other issues.
On the plus side performance, running at 100% resolution in Steam VR and in game, was fine. As good as my Rift in ACC where you are primarily CPU limited.
It's unfortunate you didn't get on with the G2. Hopefully you will find one which a better fit .

The faceplate on the G2 is incredibly wasteful on the current G2 for a lot of folk as mentioned. Black's.... You are right, however unfortunately the vast majority of the market are moving away from OLED panels. (CV1 IS OLED so has better (albeit not perfect blacks))

Iirc the only current OLED headset for PCVR is the OLED version of the pimax 5k (possibly the XR) I have a sneaking suspicion I read PSVR2 may end up being OLED.

Soldato
I think I have the original G2 cable with no power button on the breakout box, I picked it up second hand though, what do you think the chances are of a replacement cable? :)
Hmmmm..... You should defo try do you have a copy of the original purchase receipt or any contact with the initial seller (if it were me and I sold mine I would be more than happy to help out the new buyer).

TBH the original cable is not fit for purpose imo HP should have to replace ALL faulty cables.

Associate
Hmmmm..... You should defo try do you have a copy of the original purchase receipt or any contact with the initial seller (if it were me and I sold mine I would be more than happy to help out the new buyer).

TBH the original cable is not fit for purpose imo HP should have to replace ALL faulty cables.

I have contact through eBay, can ask the question. I have some warranty left according to the serial number but hp support is typically closed till Monday :D

Getting a powered pcie USB controller card delivered today which seems to be best solution for getting them going.

edit: updated bios and all drivers last night, reinstalled wmr portal and still no bueno. The 3070 is flying along though even if it's 10°c hotter than the 1070 ever got to; the side casing gets silly hot!

Associate
So the powered usb card didn't help.
Think I'm going to install a fresh Windows into a spare hard disk and see if it plays ball then. To be fair my current install is a couple of years old so a new clean install might be sensible.

Going to speak to hp support on Monday and get a new cable, hopefully on warranty

Back
Top Bottom