Sir Frank Williams has died.

Caporegime
An absolute legend. That he lasted this long is an achievement in itself. All because he decided to go for a drive after testing at Paul Ricard instead of back to the hotel and turned left instead of right. F1 must do something in Saudi Arabia for him.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
One of the original team owners that started it from virtually nothing, something we'll likely never see again. He wasn't just a team owner but he was also a mechanic and driver in his own right. Not to be messed with too, by all accounts.

Superb legacy, a big loss to the sport when he departed but at least his team will live on one way or another. I hope they never forget their rich history.

Soldato
Williams are the last real privateer* world champions and I find it hard to imagine someone else doing it. An amazing legacy to leave behind and one that will live on for a long time to come.

*I know Red Bull and Brawn are/were privateers but it’s hard to count a billion dollar drink company and a car basically built by Honda as privateers.

Permabanned
An inspirational man to many, I met him once and was immediately drawn to his sense of humour in adversity and his obvious work ethic. In leading Williams Grand Prix to remarkable successes and a lengthy stay in the F1 limelight he showed that disabilities need not hamper the continuation of a remarkable career. He was also probably one of the last F1 team owners to have had some truly characterful drivers in his employ. Sad news indeed.

Soldato
I was sad to hear of his death. He's certainly made a big contribution to the world.

As you said he overcame his disabilities to carry on doing what he loved doing. I think becoming disabled is hard on the emotions and many people can easily become depressed about it. But he showed its not all over and where there is a will there is a way.

RIP

Back
Top Bottom