• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 2700x to 5800x?

Associate
With the deal on for the AMD Ryzen processors at OcUK, just wondering if its worth an upgrade from an AMD 2700x to a 5800x?

Main reason would the FPS I'm getting in Total War: Warhammer 2 in double stack battles - i.e. there are soooo many units on the screen that my usual 80FPS @ 1440p slows to a crawl. Googling around, it would seem that the game is much more CPU bound with so many units on the screen. The game is not great at multi threading, but the 5800x has a higher boost clock speed.

Thinking about the 5800x as I have a Gigabyte x470 motherboard and 3200Mhz RAM so its a simple drop in upgrade, rather than going Intel which would need a much greater change. Currently have a 1080ti card that I also want to upgrade, but that will probably be next year thanks to the ongoing graphics card market nightmare.

Associate
I went from a 3700X to a 5900X and even that upgrade made some noticeable gains, including with Warhammer 2 battles and turn times.
The only real issue is that the next Ryzen line of CPU’s might come out in a few months (supports AM4 socket) and those would be the ones to get for max speed.
The release date of these Ryzen 3D CPU’s should drop at CES 2022 in start of January.
That reminds me, Warhammer 3 is set for mid February so right into the Ryzen 3D launch window... maybe that’s a sign ;)

Ryzen 3D info:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-s...ction-in-November-hints-tipster.575052.0.html

Associate
OP
Good point on the new range. Have pre-purchased Warhammer 3, maybe a new CPU will come around just in time, or push down the prices of the 5xxx series

Soldato
Zen+ to Zen2 is nearly 30% performance uplift and Zen2 to Zen3 is another 30% in best case usage scenarios.So yeah it be a sweet jump from Zen+ to the 5000 series.

30% performance uplift is not same as 30% ipc uplift since your taking clock speed increases into account

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/microarchitectures/zen_2

=== Key changes from Zen+ ===

7 nm process (from 12 nm)
I/O die utilizes 12 nm
Core
Higher IPC (AMD self-reported up to 15% IPC)

So zen+ to zen2 is 15% ipc increase

And

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/microarchitectures/zen_3#Key_changes_from_Zen_2

Key changes from Zen 2
CCD
Unified 8-core CCX (from 2x 4-Core CCX per CCD)
32 MiB L3$ available equally to all cores in CCD.
Increased L3 latency (~46 cycles, up from ~40 cycles)
Core
Higher IPC (AMD self-reported +19% IPC)

So from zen2 to 3 its 19% ipc increase.
So dont get confused with performance increase and ipc increase.

Back
Top Bottom