• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3070 worth the extra £100-£150 vs 6700XT

Associate
I did consider the 6600XT or the 3060/Ti, but from my understanding those cards are geared more to 1080p gaming, whereas the 6700XT/3070 is more focussed to 2k which my future monitor purchase will be so wanted to give myself that headroom. I guess that begs the question of whether I should maybe stick with 1080p 24" monitor and go for the lower end card. But then, since I don't plan on upgrading again for at least 3-4 years until their is a major performance spike, I'll try to get the best card I can now that doesn't make me cry at night at the price for too long

Then you should definitely just go for it and get the one you want. Life is too short to torture yourself over decisions like this. You cannot see the future so buy the card your gut is telling you to buy and play games!!!

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I don't think its worth the extra £150 tbh, they perform more or less on par game dependant. Also depends if you value Ray tracing or if any of the games you play has ray tracing. Given what i know now, i probs would have gone for a 6900xt instead of the 3090 as i rarely use ray tracing (except cyberpunk).

Agree. While some would argue a 3070 is fantastic for RT, its the middle of the stack card and once you go high end 1440p or 4k its going to struggle (this is with future games in mind and likelihood of >60fps). OK DLSS comes to the rescue but again this is game dependant so YMMV.

So if you can secure the 6700 for way less its the better card to get (assuming you dont want to go above 1440p display - which these cards are aimed at). Cases for the nvidia card are valid, but personally if your not bowled over by RT and the £150 can be better invested elsewhere (or you dont have that at all) then I cant see why the AMD card is a bad choice here.

No good getting salty with me just because your 10-15% got called out as wrong. :p

:cry:

Matt had named his card precious before. The 6700's are not that bad tbh, but if your dumping £900 on a 3070 I would just aim for a 6800XT for under a grand - in fact you could have got a 6900Xt for around 1100 on the specials recently. :cry:

FE cards are unbeatable on price, you just have to make the exceptional effort and snag one on the alerts.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Spin it however you like, FEs are real and people are buying them. Those that do are getting better value for money than any AMD card in the UK, period.

Preach!

Myself and most people I know from this forum and elsewhere had no issues whatsoever getting a FE, yes it requires a bit of effort and being prepared but I also know of 2 people who got theirs whilst out and about on their phone.....

Associate
Preach!

Myself and most people I know from this forum and elsewhere had no issues whatsoever getting a FE, yes it requires a bit of effort and being prepared but I also know of 2 people who got theirs whilst out and about on their phone.....

As I said on the other thread, I farted about for at least a minute or two before addressing the alert and still ended up getting one.

Associate
You get a good 15% performance uplift with the 3070 (reference) over a top end 6700XT and 20% over the reference 6700XT. So if the price is 15-20% difference then it's a choice of paying for the extra perf. But anything less than 15% it looks more attractive. Of the lowest priced cards available at OCUK it's a 17% difference in price. So you are paying for any performance uplift.

The 3070 only has 8GB of RAM where the 6700XT has 12GB. But the 3070 has Ray tracing.

So I'd either try and get a 3070 FE for £469 and not the £930 I see. Hard but not impossible and saves you a fortune. Or go for the 6700XT. I'd try really hard for 3070FE. Spat my tea out when I saw the price is nearly a grand for AIB 3070's and that's the cheapest one! I got scalped early on by 15% for my 3080 and that stung a bit, but 100% these days! NAh,

research how people are using stock alerters via telegram (how I got mine), get signed up and be ready when you get one to get through the shopping process as fast as poss. You are up against loads of people and scalpers . Maybe you can set up an account so you are already logged in to pay. Helps if you dont have a job where you can either get to your phone or a PC.

Other than that it would be 6700XT

Good luck

considering a top end 6700xt performs pretty much identical to the stock 6700xt thats a very random number the only thing you gain is extra cooling and shiney lights maybe

as for the 3070 being 15% better performance its about 3% at 1440p unless ray tracing is your thing of course

Caporegime
But yet some people consider a £600+ premium being worth it for something that provides no benefit except in 0.5-1% of games @ 4k.... ;) :D :p

I do agree though, don't think £150+ is worth it, dlss and ray tracing is great but given that you "can" get nvidia cards more easily and more often for MSRP, I wouldn't pay a dime over that!

Soldato
Bitters gonna always be bitter/welljel. Those that get it do, those that dont, wont. ;)

Difference one year ago was there were more enthusiasts and bots hammering the retailer, so I had no chance getting a 3080. Considering it has cost me nothing a year on and is earning me money daily, its been best investment for years! :cry:

Soldato
relative-performance_1920-1080.png
relative-performance_2560-1440.png

Doesnt seem that much slower than the 3070. The TPU review was done quite a while ago so I expect AMD drivers must have caught up a bit now. The 12GB VRAM will be important in newer games. Best to get the cheapest you can from the two cards.

Soldato
Doesnt seem that much slower than the 3070. The TPU review was done quite a while ago so I expect AMD drivers must have caught up a bit now. The 12GB VRAM will be important in newer games. Best to get the cheapest you can from the two cards.

Exactly. 4% is realistic, dunno where the high % came from unless cherry picked deliberately. Agree with the VRAM in general, but the lower down the stack you go the less it will be a future issue. 1080p would not really affect it.

Soldato
You get a good 15% performance uplift with the 3070 (reference) over a top end 6700XT and 20% over the reference 6700XT.

Should have been applying no bias:
You get around good 5% performance uplift with the 3070 (reference) over a top end 6700XT and 20% over the reference 6700XT.

Quite a lot of difference in them statements. In fact if it was not for the FE locked prices there would be no discussion to be had.

Associate
Preach!

I am on the PA discord with it set for FE but out and about is a no go, no data plan on my phone (im on payg and £10 lasts me months, sad I know but when my total call duration for the duration of the S7 Edge release which is about 3-4 years is less than 24 hours you dont need topping up often lol)

Seems they are few and far between, had to create an account on the site needed though to prepare.

Caporegime
I am on the PA discord with it set for FE but out and about is a no go, no data plan on my phone (im on payg and £10 lasts me months, sad I know but when my total call duration for the duration of the S7 Edge release which is about 3-4 years is less than 24 hours you dont need topping up often lol)

Seems they are few and far between, had to create an account on the site needed though to prepare.
I managed to get one, and I have the reaction speed of a comatose snail. But yeah, having no data and being out and about a lot will limit your chances ;)

Back
Top Bottom