Crucial 32gb (2x16gb) cl16 3600 BL2K16G36C16U4B - Single Rank

Soldato
Well the Patriot kit arrived, it's single rank unfortunately compared to DR when the SKU was reviewed in the past (2x 16GB SR), with a relatively lax 16-20-20-40, so a little gutted as in some cases I've lost 5-10% performance, but at the same time, the RAM cost less than £130 delivered so I am really not too upset; as I'd have paid another £40 or so for confirmed dual rank and slightly tighter XMP timings, and I'm not sure another 30% price, is worth another 0-10% performance (more commonly closer to that 0%) when CPU bound!

Seems to be stable so far; and it's running happily at 3200MHz vs the old 2933MHz included with the machine though (which had worse CL timing also - 21-21-21-47!) so between the amount now in the machine, and the higher speed/lower NS response time; it'll be an improvement either way!

2933/21 = 139.67
3200/16 = 200

Realise that's a VERY rough scale for working out relative memory performance, but still!

Can't complain for less than £130 new (and warrantied) for 32GB!

Edit: Aaaand typically the kit is faulty. Memory related bluescreen and memory errors in OCCT :( FFS lol my luck is abysmal atm!

Last edited:
Associate
For whatever is worth:

I bought in Dec 2020 Ballistix 2x16GB 3600C16 and it was Rev E so DR. I was getting some errors only in TestMem and went through RMA a month ago (was reluctant as I didn't want to get downgraded to Rev B and SR).

They first shipped one module out Rev E manufactured in Feb 2020. Makes sense. A week later on they shipped the other one. Manufactured July 2021. Rev E as well. So I guess that means that they are still producing Rev E as I thought they had completely switched over to Rev B.

Soldato
They are making both, dependent on what they have, the problem is its completely pot luck as they're making both as the same SKU.
Hearing multiple stories of people ordering multiple sets from the rainforest to try and get DR and returning SR sets.

Hi, I am new here. Thanks for all the precious messages here. I owned a pair of BL16G36C16U4B.M8FB1 (the SR ones), but i needed more than 32GB of ram, as I use massive sample libraries. So I ordered another pair of ramsticks with the same exact code from the same exact vendor, but I received a pair of BL16G36C16U4B.M16FE1 (the DR ones). I asked the vendor to exchange them, but he replied that it's not his fault, because there was no way to know if the box contains SR or DR until you open it (that's true, but the box is so stupidly easy to open that it's also just an excuse for not doing me this favor). That being said, I tried to boot the system anyway, and it works. But when i enabled the D.O.C.P. witht the 3600MHz profile (CPU still not overclocked), my PC stopped working and won't boot anymore. The DRAM led on the motherboard (Asus Tuf x570) is solid orange, and i can't even access the bios, screen is black. I know how to fix this with the bios reset, but I want to know if it's a behaviour to be expected or if i just put the ram sticks in the wrong dims.

Associate
Hi, I am new here. Thanks for all the precious messages here. I owned a pair of BL16G36C16U4B.M8FB1 (the SR ones), but i needed more than 32GB of ram, as I use massive sample libraries. So I ordered another pair of ramsticks with the same exact code from the same exact vendor, but I received a pair of BL16G36C16U4B.M16FE1 (the DR ones). I asked the vendor to exchange them, but he replied that it's not his fault, because there was no way to know if the box contains SR or DR until you open it (that's true, but the box is so stupidly easy to open that it's also just an excuse for not doing me this favor). That being said, I tried to boot the system anyway, and it works. But when i enabled the D.O.C.P. witht the 3600MHz profile (CPU still not overclocked), my PC stopped working and won't boot anymore. The DRAM led on the motherboard (Asus Tuf x570) is solid orange, and i can't even access the bios, screen is black. I know how to fix this with the bios reset, but I want to know if it's a behaviour to be expected or if i just put the ram sticks in the wrong dims.

I am pretty sure mine stated on the box the code (BL16G36C16U4B.M16FE1) so I knew before opening it up if was gonna be rev E (DR) or rev B (SR)

Associate
Eventually I managed to boot the system, and I got about 10k with Ryzen 9 5800x and the mixed SR and DR memory:
https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/10001950
Should it be higher with these specs?

Try run 3Dmark Timespy CPU bench. That seems to show much bigger differences.

Try running (if your up for testing!) just the SR set, then the DR set on its own and then lastly the SR & DR. See what difference in scores you get.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I am pretty sure mine stated on the box the code (BL16G36C16U4B.M16FE1) so I knew before opening it up if was gonna be rev E (DR) or rev B (SR)
It's not written on the box, but you can see the sticks through the box window, and the sticker showing the code is always visible.

Associate
I just got this RAM from OcUK today and it was dual rank. Quite surprised as I was expecting it be single rank, was recently manufactured as well.

Soldato
I just got this RAM from OcUK today and it was dual rank. Quite surprised as I was expecting it be single rank, was recently manufactured as well.

Where as I've just received a box of BL2K16G36C16U4BL which is M8FB1 (single rank). I want to add another 32 gig to this machine next year, I guess I need to make sure I get SR then as well?

Caporegime
I just bought BL2K16G32C16U4BL, 32GB 3200MHz RAM from the jungle there, read through this thread and most seem to think they are more likely to be dual rank?

Associate
Just bought a second set of BL2K8G36C16U4B from the jungle (silly price today), will be running 4x 8Gb single rank, just hope I can keep the timings all the same.

Associate
Just bought a second set of BL2K8G36C16U4B from the jungle (silly price today), will be running 4x 8Gb single rank, just hope I can keep the timings all the same.
Id love to hear how the performance differs between 2x8GB SR and 4x8GB effective DR.

I am on 2x16GB SR, and keep wondering if its to "blame" for my somewhat lower scores on any CPU bench.

Caporegime
I just bought BL2K16G32C16U4BL, 32GB 3200MHz RAM from the jungle there, read through this thread and most seem to think they are more likely to be dual rank?
Yep mine was DR from same source, but the 3600 version from OcUK was SR. Now I've gone from zero options to too many to work out what to keep...

Rather keep RAM binned at 3600, but only sticks I have that might be DR are the Team Group non-RGB Samsung B die OcUK sell.

ps3ud0 :cool:

Caporegime
Mine arrived the other day there and can confirm they're dual rank. Has helped boost 5600x performance by quite a bit compared to my single rank 2x8GB team vulcan sticks.

Associate
Mine arrived the other day there and can confirm they're dual rank. Has helped boost 5600x performance by quite a bit compared to my single rank 2x8GB team vulcan sticks.
Any benchs to compare before / after? Im really curious to know how big a difference it makes.

Caporegime
Any benchs to compare before / after? Im really curious to know how big a difference it makes.

Only this one before, fire strike was 25k overall and combined about 8.5k

With 32GB dual rank:

dMPP7yZ.png

Vulcan RAM was 3000MHz and CL18 RAM.

In terms of game perf., not seeing a massive difference, feel that the 0.1 and 1% lows are a bit better in cyberpunk etc. though.

Associate
Only this one before, fire strike was 25k overall and combined about 8.5k

With 32GB dual rank:

dMPP7yZ.png

Vulcan RAM was 3000MHz and CL18 RAM.

In terms of game perf., not seeing a massive difference, feel that the 0.1 and 1% lows are a bit better in cyberpunk etc. though.

Dam, quiet the increase!
So to be clear you went from 2x 8GB 3000CL18 SR to 2x16GB 3600CL16 DR ?

Associate
I have this module: BL2K16G32C16U4B 2x16GB, which I think it is a single-rank B-die. Right now, I'm running these on 4000MHz CL 17-19-19-40-2T tRFC is 1023 on auto, at 1.4V. Can I expect more with these? What's the max safe voltage I can run?

Back
Top Bottom