Windows 11 upgrade - Yay or Nay at the moment?

Caporegime
That depends, do you have a proper/true HDR display? If not, then w11 will be no better.

I never had any problems with w10 hdr on my oled. What w11 does though is that it allows you to use auto hdr setting for games, which don't natively have support for HDR, it's not as good as native support but it still looks better than SDR, it also helps improve/fix games with "fake" hdr such as cyberpunk so that in itself is worth the upgrade.

Associate
That depends, do you have a proper/true HDR display? If not, then w11 will be no better.

I never had any problems with w10 hdr on my oled. What w11 does though is that it allows you to use auto hdr setting for games, which don't natively have support for HDR, it's not as good as native support but it still looks better than SDR, it also helps improve/fix games with "fake" hdr such as cyberpunk so that in itself is worth the upgrade.

Yeah, i use a HDR400 monitor and also have a Samsung TV plugged in, pushing HDR on in the windows settings in w10 always made it go weird. Game-wise it was usually alright with some fiddling around in the ingame settings.

Soldato
I still need to compensate for lack of quick launch though, even though quick launch was officially removed back in Windows 7, it has worked since then due to the code been left in the OS, it just needs enabling which I kept doing, but it was part of the IE code, and IE of course is now fully removed from Win 11.

Now the replacement would have been pinned small icons on the start menu, but they also removed that from Win 11 so I have that dilemma. But it is good that workaround you have at least brings back small taskbar icons, sometimes I wonder what these dev's are thinking when they make these kind of changes.

No quicklaunch = no install, it's such a useful feature, I can't understand why they've removed it?!

Associate

I am guessing it is the same as the xbox auto HDR. In most games it works really well, on the xbox at least.

Associate
I'm running W11 with no problems at all. You soon get used to the new start menu etc. If you have a Ryzen CPU make sure you're running the latest build and install the latest chipset drivers from the AMD website.

Soldato
A TPU thread on Win11 was recently made, before this thread I thought I was alone in sticking to 10, but it has a high % of people who dont like the 11 UI and are staying on 10.

Soldato
I've upgraded 3 PCs in our house, zero problems and I love the new look.
Might do the 4th with that bypass above (CPU is too old to pass the checks)

Associate
How strange, everyone I know that's upgraded hasn't had a single issue - including me.
People I know had a lot of trouble with the TPM requirements, USB issues, some networking issues etc.

Although I never saw the awfulness of W10 personally, never had any issues on 10 - until an update broke our Dev machines because they broke local HTTP requests.

Soldato
I upgraded my laptop to Windows 11... Only problem once encountered do far is that the Dropbox app no longer gives a right click menu for files. Part of my daily workflow is right clicking, copying the share link and sending it on. I'd imagine a reinstall of Dropbox might cute that.

Back
Top Bottom