*** Show us your Dogs ***

Commissario
Same age as our Border then. Hmm, I wonder if it's an age thing.
Mentioned it to the vets at her health check up last week, she could be coming into season and start getting hormonal and it can be normal. Main thing is just to be consistent with your approach.

dod

dod

Soldato
here's our three, mum on the right

dogs.jpg

dogs.jpg

Associate
@ChrisLX200 hopefully got lucky this time! Think we've found a pup we like.

Can anyone recommend a good pet insurer? You hear of some companies who'll do anything of getting out of paying. Thanks!

Well the signs are good - she's eating like there's no tomorrow and normally she's not that obsessed with food. And.. she's looking pleased with herself :)

I was with PetPlan for a couple of years then they jacked the price up hugely (like, almost double). No reason for that other than covering the costs of other people's claims. So I changed to BoughtByMany at a cheaper price for better cover. Additionally, PetPlan offered no cover for pregnant dogs.

It's great you found a pup!

Soldato
@ChrisLX200 fingers crossed for you then! Do love the merle colouring but any dog in that colour seems to cost a small fortune!

Gone for a cavapoo myself :) Did read about boughtbymany but seem to have had a few recent negative reviews. How much did pet plan double it to you mind me asking?

Associate
@ChrisLX200 fingers crossed for you then! Do love the merle colouring but any dog in that colour seems to cost a small fortune!

Gone for a cavapoo myself :) Did read about boughtbymany but seem to have had a few recent negative reviews. How much did pet plan double it to you mind me asking?

Hmm my memory isn't that great. It was roughly £300/yr and went up to near £600/yr, whereas I'm paying BoughtByMany £26/month for better cover. PetPlan didn't even offer an optional package for your dog getting pregnant though they did offer a different product called a Breeder's Pack which wasn't suitable for a number of reasons. Hazel's pregnancy is covered under the BoughtByMany plan. Advantage with PetPlan was that my Vet would accept the policy as gaurantee they would get paid so I would not have needed to pay up front, with BBM you have to pay the Vet and claim costs back.

Permabanned
No idea re the harness, sorry, I have never used one, just collars.

Sounds bizarre, maybe she just doesn't like the collar, but you'd think she'd pull on the harness but not the collar...Try a choke chain if you want the convenience of a collar. I always would worry about a dog in a harness getting stuck in a "rooty" hole or confined space with protrusions. I'd be interested in the cause if you can work her mind out. Good luck.

Associate
Here's a question for you more knowledgeable doggo owners:

When my pupper is on a lead attached to her collar she pulls like a crazy thing. No amount of stopping and turning around etc. will stop her.
When she's on her harness she's good as gold and will walk at heel on a loose lead.

Why?

does the harness attach at the chest or on back? My dog will walk fine with it attached to front, but pull if on back. I therefore assume that pulling when on front twists it and uncomfortable so she doesn’t pull then. She would happily strangle herself with the collar though but maybe that just isn’t as uncomfortable. Who knows

Soldato
Advantage with PetPlan was that my Vet would accept the policy as gaurantee they would get paid so I would not have needed to pay up front, with BBM you have to pay the Vet and claim costs back.

This infers some vets don't think they will pay? When I priced up bought by many they came out higher than petplan but it does depend on dog and age. It all gets more expensive as they get old.

Associate
This infers some vets don't think they will pay? When I priced up bought by many they came out higher than petplan but it does depend on dog and age. It all gets more expensive as they get old.

I think it's a bit more complex than that, my Vet had a business agreement with PetPlan and they sold policies from the practice. Other insurance companies did not have such an agreement so yes, better safe than sorry and make sure to get the money first! I agree about the costs increasing but my dog was a puppy when we took out a policy with PetPlan, never had a health issue with her yet at 1yr old they want double the money. I don't think so. I suspect they offer a good rate to be competitive for new business and then jack the price up at first opportunity.

Last edited:
Don
does the harness attach at the chest or on back? My dog will walk fine with it attached to front, but pull if on back. I therefore assume that pulling when on front twists it and uncomfortable so she doesn’t pull then. She would happily strangle herself with the collar though but maybe that just isn’t as uncomfortable. Who knows

It has attachment point at either the front or back. She's fine with it in either position.

Associate
Copper (although more platinum) is very photogenic! Lovely dog.

I had a bad experience yesterday when due to a brain fade I managed to let the male Giant Schnauzer out at the same time as the male Anatolian Karabash. To say they hate one another is an understatement. Luckily a field gate separated them, but they immediately locked on to one another's heads through the slats of the gate, the Karabash attempting to drag the other through it. I managed to separate them without getting bitten, but the Giant Schnauzer had managed to pierce its top lip at the side with a top canine, stretching the lip down so it was hooked fast on the tooth. The vet's 15 miles away so I decided to see if I could free it myself.

I got the dog tied securely to the gate by its choke chain and a rope round its back end. Then I sawed off a piece of roughly 2 x 2 inch timber about 9 inches long. I jammed that in its jaws tying it with string to its collar around the back of its head, so it couldn't bite down on me. My fingers couldn't get enough grip to pull its top lip down enough, so resorted to a pair of pliers! That worked very well, and gave enough purchase to pull the side of its lip down and off the tooth. The dog was fine and eating his dinner 20 minutes later, seemingly forgiving me for treating him like a piece of machinery.

No injuries unlike the last fight where I got canines through, (right through) the palm of my right hand. Yes, it hurt, a lot, not at first but 10 minutes later I had tears in my eyes and wanting a stiff drink..

Just to show he's still alive still with an upper lip, the wife said i should post a current photo!

ramos1.jpg

Oh dear, looks relatively unscathed.

Interestingly my Anatolian 'hates' that type of breed too...anything 'shaggy' looking.

Permabanned
Where did you get your Karabash from if you don't mind me asking? I have had them for years , virtually from when they first became available in the UK. Had a few rescues too, when people found they had bitten off more than they could chew. A very primitive breed, although some say the guarding instincts have been tempered a bit in recent years here in the UK. Try again with uploading or linking a photo please!

My male Karabash is OK with all nine other dogs here, except the Giant Schnauzer, who in turn only tolerates his male Giant Schnauzer cross Standard poodle kennel mate son, who he has had in with him from a 12 week puppy, (and any bitches...) :)

Strange dogs, and definitely strange male dogs are a no go unless away from here on neutral territory.

Associate
Oh dear, looks relatively unscathed.

Interestingly my Anatolian 'hates' that type of breed too...anything 'shaggy' looking.

Learned the hard way never to put a hand between two fighting dogs! Hazel looks cute but when she fights with one of the others she shows how strong and fast she is and when she sees red doesn't differentiate between the hand that feeds her and the other dog :) Hazel is the top dog of our three now and the other two know it so there are no (or very few) further arguments although she does remind them with a deep growl and brief scuffle sometimes if they transgress. However it's over before it starts when the other recognises its mistake - remarkable behaviour for our Cairn Terrier who with her typical Terrier attitude would take on a bear. It took 3 or 4 defeats before she knew she was on a loser fighting with Hazel. They still get into a shouting match sometimes. Out on walks she's a totally different dog, Hazel rolls over to any other and then tries to make friends, never a hint of agression towards a strange dog.

Permabanned
He's actually on the smaller side, some are very "impressively" sized, a rescue I had was well over 10 stone and still fit and fast. In Turkey they have some monsters...But bigger is not always better, a medium size looks better IMO and probably fitter for purpose.

Aslan, a big rescue, but terrible unpredictable temperament, ended up euthanised sadly, he was dangerous. Did my best...got the scars to prove it, and a damaged nerve so I can put a fag against the base of my thumb and not feel a thing. Good party piece <LOL>

The bitch he's with (not my wife ;) ) was largish Alsatian sized.

aslan2.jpg

aslan1.jpg

Monster in Turkey:

big-karabash.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom