GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
I've used F1s and PS4s and I do find the PS4s quieter. Not much in it grip wise.

I have Yokohama V105s on one of my cars as it's one of the few which fit the front wheels. Those have been pretty good too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
I liked the GT86, this seems like an excellent update, it's enough power for a sub 1300kg car, Most modern cars need a 300bhp turbo as they are nudging 1600kgs.

I would have course mod the **** out of it for more power over time such is my habit :D

Last edited:
Soldato
If I wrapped my current round a tree I'd be tempted with the upgrade, need to find out if exhaust mounts are identical or how much the engine has been shifted if I can transfer existing mods over to the new one.

Soldato
If I wrapped my current round a tree I'd be tempted with the upgrade, need to find out if exhaust mounts are identical or how much the engine has been shifted if I can transfer existing mods over to the new one.

Being rational, there's no real reason for me to upgrade, as I'm pretty happy with my current car. But, it's been 8 years, and I'm just getting that "fancy a new car" itch.
As for mods, I'm not sure. The only performance mod I have is an exhaust manifold, and given that it's a larger engine, I doubt that it would be compatible with the new model. That said...the only reason I have an aftermarket manifold is to fix an issue that isn't present on the new car anyway.
Perhaps it might be easier to swap over more downstream parts of the exhaust though.

Soldato
That's sort of how I'm feeling, I had the full exhaust done to get that 230hp figure, then had silencers fitted which knocked down the performance in the lower power band making the dip worse but the top end still sweet. I've got some additional mods which I've still not fitted which would take the car to another level but I'd want to do further supporting mods to bring up the rest of the spec.

Current values I'd probably get 11k for the car, 9k for all fitted/non fitted mods at S/H prices and I'd still be spending 15k to get the new car, I don't think I'd enjoy the new one enough for that extra 15k spend when I could put another 3-4k into the current one to get it through another 10 years.

Soldato
I currently have Michelin PS4 215/45Y R17 with 18k miles on them and under 3mm left on them. Before that the car still had Primacy tyres.

Kwik Fit are offering 15% off 4 Michelin PS4 + free speakers. https://www.kwik-fit.com/offers/michelin-wireless-speaker-offer

Cost incl. fitting, balancing and disposal after discount = £397.

Halfords are offering 15% off a few brands including Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5. https://www.halfords.com/deals-and-events/tyre-multi-buy-offer.html

Cost incl. fitting, balancing and disposal after discount = £334.

Any reason not to go for the Eagles?
Well i am ashamed to say i screwed up my order and accidentally got AS3 installed. I only noticed when checking the paperwork upon collecting the car from Halfords. So so annoyed o ordered the wrong ones. They were both the same price too, which is why i must have got them confused.

Soldato
Check AS3s aren't actually better as they are pre-EU emissions rules changes :D

Some other tyres are like that, the newer spec has less grip :/

Soldato
I swapped from AS3 to AS5 about a month ago. Cant say they feel less grippy, quite the opposite in fact. Granted new tyres are going to feel better than worn, but the AS3s weren't completely shot at the time they were replaced.

Soldato
How many miles did you get out of them?

I'm not entirely sure, but at a (very) rough estimate after reviewing my MOT history for mileage since the time they were fitted about 3.5 years ago, looks like about 22K miles.
They were all down to 3mm when I changed, so I could probably have got another few thousand miles out of them, but I had been thinking of changing them anyway and then saw the offer you posted which prompted me to change them before winter.

Soldato
I'm not entirely sure, but at a (very) rough estimate after reviewing my MOT history for mileage since the time they were fitted about 3.5 years ago, looks like about 22K miles.
They were all down to 3mm when I changed, so I could probably have got another few thousand miles out of them, but I had been thinking of changing them anyway and then saw the offer you posted which prompted me to change them before winter.
Ta. I also changed with around 3mm average left because of that offer.

Let us know your thoughts after 1k miles or so on the new ones.

Associate
I am back in a GT86 after few years :)
Show Us Your Motors!
Currently have white TRD version with current mods done so far:
TRD intake kit
TRD gear knob(old was a bit knackered)
Eonon Head unit
Armrest
TRD fender wind garnish

I will be sticking with NA once again because I still don't have full confidence in the reliability of the car once going FI, so I have the HKS EL catted manifold on order with Fensport and a tune arranged when the manifold arrives.

On another note on the new GR86/BRZ, it looks like you can fit gen 1 manifold onto the new GR86/BRZ.

Soldato
Just an update for anyone interested as someone asked about the upcoming GR86 in the GR Yaris thread. I've been keeping an ear out for news about the car as my interest is growing. It turns out that the car will only be sold here for two years due to upcoming EU safety regs:

In 2024, new European safety protocols will come into force, and vehicles that do not comply with these General Safety Regulation 2 standards will not be allowed to be sold. This will even apply to existing, un-registered stock held centrally by vehicle manufacturers.

In order to comply with these strict new regulations, the GR86 would have to be completely re-engineered. Apart from being economically unviable for a small-volume sports car like the GR86, compliance with these regulations would detrimentally affect the dynamic character of the car. Make no mistake, the GR86 is already a very safe car. It’s just that from 2024 it simply wouldn’t be the driver’s car everybody knows and loves.

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/why-is-the-toyota-gr86-only-on-sale-for-two-years/

I've also heard a rumours that there's only 400 allocated per year for the UK:

Where did hear about the UK allocation figure from please?

RRG Macclesfield Toyota via a post on the drivers club forum from someone who speaks to them:
https://www.gt86.org.uk/forums/forums/topic/8600-in-comes-the-gr86/?do=findComment&comment=124690

Last edited:
Soldato
Why didnt they just make a turbo model.

Madness.

A company making a turbo Yaris, Corolla, and Supra can't out out a turbo gt86.

Poor form.
That’s not what the car is meant to be. It’s meant to be a NA driver focused car. I’m glad it’s na. Everything is turbo these days. People who have driven this compare it to modern day s2000 which can only be a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom