Christmas lunch - what are you cooking and drinking?

Soldato
Pre midday beers during dinner prep
Post midday beers
Standard turkey dinner, bottle or 2 of chateauneuf
Xmas pud
Cheese board and port selection
Spirits (whiskey for me, rum for her) and a sleep.

Might even manage an After 8 too.

Soldato
Got a chicken from Daylesford this year. Other half is vegetarian so turkey for one is pointless

For dessert we've doing a burnt basque cheesecake with an orange and cranberry sauce. Have a Christmas pudding available, but suspect we might just avoid.

Soldato
OP
Got a chicken from Daylesford this year. Other half is vegetarian so turkey for one is pointless

For dessert we've doing a burnt basque cheesecake with an orange and cranberry sauce. Have a Christmas pudding available, but suspect we might just avoid.

where’s this cheesecake from?

Capodecina
Soldato
I'll be on my own, but I have a nice steak in the fridge. Steak, potatoes, port wine sauce, followed by lemon tart. I'll break out a half bottle of a good French wine. Then I'll break out a boxed set of something.

Similar to my situation: I'll be on my own, but I managed to pick up a nice sirloin from Tesco, which I'll be having with some cheddar baked potatoes, sprouts [maybe broccoli too] and some ales.

Gin & Tonic with olives beforehand and throughout the afternoon. Whiskey and chocolate cake for later in the evening.

Haven't done a steak for years. Am thinking of just seasoning it with salt and pepper and giving it a couple of mins on each side in the pan with some olive oil, hopefully that'll work. I normally like them medium rare with English mustard, I'm not a fan of saucy steaks.

Last edited:
Soldato
*REJUVINATING THREAD - WHERE TO GET THE TURKEY*

So we were thinking of getting an Aldi turkey this year, apparently available in store from 19th,
it's not clear if they are available immediately on the sunday, or arrive sometime during the week ?

Gressingham turkey we had 2019 was not very good(refunded) , Morrisons 2020 year was ok.

Permabanned
Well, after being a bit slack and not ordering I just spent 30 minutes searching for a fresh turkey online, majority sold out or too small. Think I have secured one just now. :cry:

Have never had a frozen one so dont know.

Caporegime
Vegan nut roast with Marron, black beans, several varieties of musrooms, swest potato. Might turn it intp a vegan Wellington.

starter will be a roasted Butternut squash risoto.

Soldato
first vegan christmas ? pretty sure you can do a good vegan christmas pudding - our recipe is flourless/eggless/suetless.

Aldi turkies ones (like other supermarkets) sold in week before are fresh - well hopefully are this year -
Aldi, Tesco and Waitrose receive complaints as customers say Christmas is ruined by 'rotten' turkeys
people obviously only opened them on xmas day,
in retrospect frozen could probably have been ok ... the turkey would have grown up in the Summer ... surely a better life ?

cheesecake - baked is best (Aldi do good mascrapone)

Soldato
Soldato
Question for you fellow turkey chefs.

(This part isn't relevant) We had some friends over at the weekend, so decided to do a bit of a Christmas dinner. Had a small turkey about 2ish KGs from what i remember, but cooking time on the pack was 2 hours and 4 minutes. I prepped the turkey in the morning - usual stuff, thyme and butter under the skin, couple of slices of orange under the skin, and two halves in the cavity (was only a crown). I then rubbed olive oil over the outside of the skin and added a sprinkle of salt and pepper. It was laid on a bed of raw carrots chopped in half, with a whole white onion very loosely chopped in the base.

I pre-heated the oven, and wrapped some foil loosely over the turkey and covered around the tray. Once oven got to temperature i stuck it in. After about an hour, i took it out and basted it with the small amount of juices that were now in the bottom. Recovered with foil and stuck it back in the oven.
Took it out about another half hour later, so we're approximately 90 minutes in out of 124 minutes. Probed it with a thermometer and most areas were reporting 80C+, and googling found a load of sites saying it's cooked when it hits 70C. I could see the juices run clear when i pulled the thermometer out.

I think our oven actually does run hotter than the temperature it sets to, but my question is, knowing that the turkey was giving an 80C temperature and juices ran clear, would you have continued cooking it for the remainder of the half an hour potentially drying it out, or would you have been satisfied that it has cooked early.

Soldato
Question for you fellow turkey chefs.

(This part isn't relevant) We had some friends over at the weekend, so decided to do a bit of a Christmas dinner. Had a small turkey about 2ish KGs from what i remember, but cooking time on the pack was 2 hours and 4 minutes. I prepped the turkey in the morning - usual stuff, thyme and butter under the skin, couple of slices of orange under the skin, and two halves in the cavity (was only a crown). I then rubbed olive oil over the outside of the skin and added a sprinkle of salt and pepper. It was laid on a bed of raw carrots chopped in half, with a whole white onion very loosely chopped in the base.

I pre-heated the oven, and wrapped some foil loosely over the turkey and covered around the tray. Once oven got to temperature i stuck it in. After about an hour, i took it out and basted it with the small amount of juices that were now in the bottom. Recovered with foil and stuck it back in the oven.
Took it out about another half hour later, so we're approximately 90 minutes in out of 124 minutes. Probed it with a thermometer and most areas were reporting 80C+, and googling found a load of sites saying it's cooked when it hits 70C. I could see the juices run clear when i pulled the thermometer out.

I think our oven actually does run hotter than the temperature it sets to, but my question is, knowing that the turkey was giving an 80C temperature and juices ran clear, would you have continued cooking it for the remainder of the half an hour potentially drying it out, or would you have been satisfied that it has cooked early.

Always cook to temperature not time. 80c is already nuked, don't forget when you take it out and rest it the internal temp rises a bit more.

Soldato
Always cook to temperature not time. 80c is already nuked, don't forget when you take it out and rest it the internal temp rises a bit more.

Thankfully it wasn't quite nuked! I think cooking it under foil kept the moisture in. It's also a cheapy thermometer, so i suspect it was over-reading. But even if we took a 10% tolerance (which would be pretty shocking for a thermometer) it would have still been over 70.

But thanks i'll bear that in mind for Christmas day. I'll probably set the oven to a slightly lower temperature, and measure the temperature earlier on so i can see how much longer it'll need to cook.

Soldato
I use an inkbird off amazon, I bought it mainly for smoking but now use it when cooking most meats. I guess these times on Turkeys and meat in general are always overstated just to ensure people don't undercook it.

Soldato
Baked camembert with garlic and thyme for a starter.

Roast rib of beef, Yorkshire pudding, goose fat roasties, dauphinoise potatoes, and white wine steamed carrots for a main.

A long lie down followed by a metric ***kton of cheese for dessert.

I'm on my own for the day, so plan to have my starter at lunchtime, my main late afternoon, and cheese late. Then left over beef forevermore.

You win.

Back
Top Bottom