Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Associate
Bike Show tomorrow! I know what people posted above but not been before as didn't fancy it on my own but the other half wants to go and is far more brazen than me at blagging freebies etc. I fully expect her to expand her collection of neck tubes beyond what one woman could reasonably wear in a single lifetime :)

Caporegime
Bike Show tomorrow! I know what people posted above but not been before as didn't fancy it on my own but the other half wants to go and is far more brazen than me at blagging freebies etc. I fully expect her to expand her collection of neck tubes beyond what one woman could reasonably wear in a single lifetime :)

We went today, thoroughly enjoyed it. Finally convinced the wife that we'll be starting with a Rebel 500 :p

Really liked seeing both Brad Binder and Joan Mir's bikes too.

Associate
Strangely enough, sitting on a bunch of different bikes has left my other half with a worse dilemma. Previously she'd ruled a few models out based on pictures, not quite getting the relationship between handlebar height and seat height, but now she's sat on a few she said she's got more options, not fewer :D

She can't do sports or sports tourer because she had surgery on a prolapsed disc in her neck a few years back, so needs an upright riding position, but a good long while on the Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda stands has her umm'ing and aah'ing a bit more now :)

Shame Yamaha brought something close to **** all, just a merchandise shop and 2 display bikes right up against the wall on plinths. Makes you wonder why they bothered coming at all.

Associate
The big boy 1000.

Has all the luggage, the crash bars and only 840 miles on the clock. Very excited.

Sounds yummy :) First thing my other half tried at the Bike Show yesterday was the Triumph 900 and she could touch the floor, which is a bit of a win given she's 5' 4". Couldn't get near the floor on a Versys because of the height or a V-Strom because of the foot peg position forcing you to either park your shins behind the pegs or out to the side. Silly placement really.

Associate
Has anybody used one of those ceramic coatings on specifically their wheels? Now I've got bright orange ones, and my first chain drive in about a decade, I want them to stay orange. Or at least be easier to keep clean.

One I've seen mentioned somewhere is GTechniq C5 wheel armour.

So far I've only cleaned the thing once and used some WD40 "Motorbike Wax and Polish" spray, on plastics and the wheels.

I'd appreciate if everyone said it's a waste of money so I have an excuse to close the tab and forget about it. :p

Man of Honour
Has anybody used one of those ceramic coatings on specifically their wheels? Now I've got bright orange ones, and my first chain drive in about a decade, I want them to stay orange. Or at least be easier to keep clean.

So far I've only cleaned the thing once and used some WD40 "Motorbike Wax and Polish" spray, on plastics and the wheels.

I'd appreciate if everyone said it's a waste of money so I have an excuse to close the tab and forget about it. :p
Use gear oil on your chain rather than a sticky waxy lube and it wipes right off if you get any fling on your wheels.
I moved to using this when I got my street triple with bright red wheels and it's very easy to keep them clean now.

Soldato
Use gear oil on your chain rather than a sticky waxy lube and it wipes right off if you get any fling on your wheels.
I moved to using this when I got my street triple with bright red wheels and it's very easy to keep them clean now.

Yea I use gear oil now, would not go back, it works out cheaper also a litre bottle lasts for age.

Caporegime

Gotta be worth a punt at that price shirley?

Associate

Yea I use gear oil now, would not go back, it works out cheaper also a litre bottle lasts for age.

Any specific one you would recommend? Not bought my bike yet but this is all handy stuff for when I do :D

Associate
Nice, it's something I started looking at at the beginning of the year. Did the taster ride and thought it would be useful but I never got round to it in the end.

Worth a relook in the new year. The general feeling from people is that it's an "old boys club" and you get a "polite" vest when you pass, but some of the things you're taught do make a whole load of sense out on the road. Plus the guys in my local group have the same feeling about the polite vests as the rest of us

Going to put it to use though as going to be doing some riding for the Blood Bikes in the new year and having an IAM or ROSPA quali is a requirement.

Man of Honour
Completed my IAM Advanced Course yesterday and achieved a f1rst... Quite happy with that!
Very nice. How much does it cost and how long does it take? Also, as a new rider, would it be better for me to get some more experience before considering the course, or would I benefit even more as a new rider? Thanks.

Associate
Very nice. How much does it cost and how long does it take? Also, as a new rider, would it be better for me to get some more experience before considering the course, or would I benefit even more as a new rider? Thanks.

I paid £125 (think i had a 20% voucher as usually £150) and It can take anywhere from 3 months to a year, it all depends how much of confident rider you are. I'd personally get a couple years on riding under your belt before giving it a go, yes the skills gained are good, but general road craft and riding confidence play a huge part.

Soldato
Worth a relook in the new year. The general feeling from people is that it's an "old boys club" and you get a "polite" vest when you pass, but some of the things you're taught do make a whole load of sense out on the road. Plus the guys in my local group have the same feeling about the polite vests as the rest of us

Going to put it to use though as going to be doing some riding for the Blood Bikes in the new year and having an IAM or ROSPA quali is a requirement.

A worthy cause, I have an old friend who is a Staffs Blood Biker (Snappo), or at least he was last time I spoke to him.

Back
Top Bottom