Poll: *** The official 2021 14" and 16" Macbook Pro thread (it has an SD slot and everything!) ***

Will you be buying a new MacBook Pro

• Yes, 14"

Votes: 43 31.9%
  • Yes, 16"

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 64 47.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
Noticed you can get these in John Lewis on 0% finance for 24 months. Just trying to decide between the base 16 and the 1TB version - latter probably better given the size of media these days.

Ditto on the sleeve recommendation. I don’t need a carry-case type thing but I will be chucking it in a backpack. Doesn’t need to be luxury/leather either, just adequate protection.

Soldato
Noticed you can get these in John Lewis on 0% finance for 24 months. Just trying to decide between the base 16 and the 1TB version - latter probably better given the size of media these days.
Depends on the media. I use mine for a fair bit of media consumption but it’s all streamed - I haven’t ever come close to maxing out the 512gb.
With regards photo storage (which is my main use) you would need a heck of a lot of photos to fill that up. All my photos are exported to two separate external drives after I’m done with them so I don’t tend to keep a large library on the computer.
Video editing is where people may struggle with the 512gb.

Soldato
Depends on the media. I use mine for a fair bit of media consumption but it’s all streamed - I haven’t ever come close to maxing out the 512gb.
With regards photo storage (which is my main use) you would need a heck of a lot of photos to fill that up. All my photos are exported to two separate external drives after I’m done with them so I don’t tend to keep a large library on the computer.
Video editing is where people may struggle with the 512gb.

Fair point. I don’t do any heavy or pro-level editing. Maybe I’ll just stick to the base and if I need to offload anything external storage will be cheaper…

Man of Honour

Ditto on the sleeve recommendation. I don’t need a carry-case type thing but I will be chucking it in a backpack. Doesn’t need to be luxury/leather either, just adequate protection.

I've been really tempted to pick up a new 14" MBP; partly because I need a new work laptop and partly because I'm fed up having to worry about a Windows laptop lasting more than 7 hours of use having to cart either a powerbank or try and find power!!

Personally I'd go for 1TB; always handy to have the extra space!

Soldato
John Lewis’s IT system tried to conspire to stop me by crashing repeatedly and the assistance spelling my email address wrong twice, but I got a base 16” M1 Pro on the 0% finance… and haven’t had a chance to even open it yet as I’ve been at work.

Something tells me there’s a Tomtoc sleeve and an accessories pouch in my Xmas stocking too.

Soldato
Noticed that one of the tiny speaker holes is missing on left speaker last night, I mean its the tiniest of tiny errors which makes no difference to the devices functionality, however I have a niggle that with good qc that would make it seconds. What would others do, crack on and worry about other things or get it swapped out on principle?

Soldato
This is a GREAT screen, I have a couple of them. There's a bit of an issue with them on the M1 units however - it dims when it comes out of sleep. Doesn't sound like an issue but it's a pain, as you have to go into Preferences/Displays and change the brightness slider. PITA.

For what it's worth, with the newer keyboard with touch-ID this is less of a problem. The brightness keys work - they don't on my old iMac Pro keyboard which is pretty weird.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Nearly £6k for a ******* laptop, is it a joke or what.

The same kind of joke where some cars cost £500 and others cost £2m. Or how some flats cost £20m and some 5 bedroom houses cost £150,000.

There are plenty of people in this world who get paid well enough that £6k isn't that much or they simply will use the power that the laptop offers which makes it good value to them.

Don
OP
Just because you can afford it, does not make a 6000 quid laptop good value. Apple only do it because there are idiot Apple fanatics that will pay it no matter the cost.

Why doesn't every rich PC owner have a 3090ti then? because they are **** value for money, whatever you earn.

Do you really think that every Apple fan is going to drop £6k on a laptop? Most people will buy the base model 14" or 16" and be very happy with it. Only those with either money to burn or those who have a need for 64GB RAM and 8TB SSD in a laptop will buy the top model.
Did every Apple fan buy a Mac Pro? No. Does every iPhone owner have the 2TB 13 Pro Max? No.

Soldato
...does not make a 6000 quid laptop good value.

You can spend £7.5k on a Dell Precision and "good value" is subjective as someone that needs that sort of "horsepower" is more than likely using it for business-use at which point, it might very well be "good value" to them.

As always, if you don't like it don't buy it, simples; moaning about it makes you sound bitter :cry:

Permabanned
The wait for this has been painful... but it's finally here!!! :D

Screenshot-2021-12-20-at-15-34-38.png
Screenshot-2021-12-20-at-15-34-52.png

View attachment Dj4JLEk.jpg

View attachment Fe3HsHk.jpg

View attachment zsy0Um8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom