Any retail shopfloor workers working on Christmas eve?

Associate
Not me but it'll be interesting to drop in here throughout the day to see any up to date reports and to read about people deciding to turn up five/four minutes to closing time and coming up with
'But it isn't ten o'clock yer'
'I'll only be two minutes (then spend half the time on facebook slagging the shop staff off and saying how selfish we are , text messaging, checking emails, making phonecalls then just leave THEIR shopping in the middle of the aisle/at the till and walk out. People like that don't realise that the staff have to put THEIR shopping back for them).
'I've only want a couple of small items'
'Go on. It's Christmas'
'Where's your Chirstmas spirit?'
'I'm writing to head office'
and the sad facebook post/Daily mail sad face look and title 'you've just ruined my family's christmas'

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Please tell me the shops opening until ten o'clock, I might need some last minute items.

Thanks for reminding me of an incident that happened on a night shift a few months back.
The same shoplifter came in twice in ten minutes and kicked off both times, resulting in the shop having to close half an hour early and two customers having to leave.

Caporegime
Thanks for reminding me of an incident that happened on a night shift a few months back.
The same shoplifter came in twice in ten minutes and kicked off both times, resulting in the shop having to close half an hour early and two customers having to leave.

Are you suggesting I'm a shoplifter?

Associate
OP
Are you suggesting I'm a shoplifter?
No.

I honestly don't know how to spot one but I've innocently helped a few who've turned out to be shoplifters and been alerted to a few suspicious people who turned out to be shoplifters by customers.

I think the asiest way to catch one is when they kick off when get stopped by security and I've seen people walk in off the street, grab a fridge pack of lager/cider then walk out without paying and I'ver only ever been lucky to catch a couple in the act once (I was leaving as they were about to do a runner with some washing up power but they got away),

Soldato
Isn't there a special forum for retail workers to air their grievances etc.

Incase others hadn't heard, they truly do work harder than any other profession, and everyone should have to do at least six months as a form of national service.

Associate
OP

This is about retail shop floor workers working on Christmas eve or not.
I'm off tomorrow (Christmas eve).
The branch of the Co-op I work at didn't win that competition to sell the most Taylor's Port (is it me or is it only available at this time of year like those precooled ham joints that cost on average a fiver?)

Soldato
I no longer work in retail, but there were times when folk would try to get in at closing time with a trolley and expecting to do a full shop. In fact this was every Sunday at 3:59pm not just Xmas eve.

Caporegime
Why do retail workers think they are so special? what about the other people working on Christmas day to keep the world running..

do you think TV is all automated and ran my machines? but you expect to watch it how selfish! you should be ashamed..
Complaining someone comes in to the store 5 minutes before closing.... god forbid....

Your like those store managers that refuse to serve customers because they would rather cash up with 30minutes before closing, expecting to leave on the dot as soon as the doors close....

pathetic!

I bet if your internet goes down on Christmas day you will be one of the first people on here to complain....
never mind these people had to sacrifice their Christmas...... so you can use the internet like it's some legal birth right

Retail workers must be one of the few industries where almost no one actually works on Christmas day and they still complain :cry:

why not go sing carols outside your local hospital and thank all the NHS workers for their sacrifice.

don't be a Christmas Karen!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Why do retail workers think they are so special? what about the other people working on Christmas day to keep the world running..

do you think TV is all automated and ran my machines? but you expect to watch it how selfish! you should be ashamed..
Complaining someone comes in to the store 5 minutes before closing.... god forbid....

Your like those store managers that refuse to serve customers because they would rather cash up with 30minutes before closing, expecting to leave on the dot as soon as the doors close....

pathetic!

I bet if your internet goes down on Christmas day you will be one of the first people on here to complain....
never mind these people had to sacrifice their Christmas...... so you can use the internet like it's some legal birth right

Retail workers must be one of the few industries where almost no one actually works on Christmas day and they still complain :cry:

why not go sing carols outside your local hospital and thank all the NHS workers for their sacrifice.

don't be a Christmas Karen!

I think a lot of what the OP is complaining about isn't so much working it but the people who have no consideration for the staff - turning up moments before closing time and then getting on with whatever you have to do is one thing - but there always seems to be those people who have no urgency, drag stuff out for no good reason and/or generally waste people's time without even an apology.

Tut tut Sainsbury's.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/sainsburys-admit-staff-work-boxing-25776358

Name and shame any retailers making their staff work boxing day too.

I was originally promised Boxing day and then also New Years day off where I work and now I'm working both because "needs of the business" :( however I've gone from working pretty much every day except Christmas day and New Years to having 10 days off over the period (due to another colleague screwing up their holiday allowance and the only way they could sort it was to have him pick up some of my shifts and have me take them as holiday which I was happy to do) so I'm not complaining too much. Otherwise to be frank I'd be livid. At least both are going to be paid at double time plus unsocial hours top up on top of that so it isn't all bad and New Years is only a 4 hour shift.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd usually be working tomorrow but am doing today instead, then back in on Monday. 3am start but at least I have very little to do with the public as I'm behind the scenes unlike the poor sods in the restaurants.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
What's wrong with coming in 5 minutes before closing? The shop is still open. One of my pet peeves is when I walk in 5 mins before closing, and the staff are already closing the shutter things for the refrigerated items, then I have to open it back up again. Just so they can leave work a few minutes earlier, by inconveniencing customers.

Caporegime
Yeah I don't get this, surely the store should factor in closing at say 4pm means last customer out at 430. And hurry the ****up too. If possible.

I think people just like to moan about anything, which is fine, but illogical.
.it's part of the job.

Soldato

Incase others hadn't heard, they truly do work harder than any other profession, and everyone should have to do at least six months as a form of national service.

I’d rather do six months breaking rocks in the hot sun than dealing with the general public.

Back
Top Bottom