Any retail shopfloor workers working on Christmas eve?

Soldato
I like to do my shopping just around closing time, as the shop is fairly empty.

Also, the staff become much more helpful as they want you to complete your shopping early.

You should all try this.

Soldato
For those of you that typically work Christmas Eve, do you get early finishes or just normal hours?

I generally book the time off, as it's our anniversary on the 22nd so we're away somewhere but that hasn't happened this year. My first company most people worked it, then we'd finish around 12-1pm and go for a beer before heading home. Whereas the last 2 places i've worked never mentioned anything. Maybe because they're more remote offices vs the centre of Manchester.

This year i'm pretty much the only person working, my Teams chat has out of office icons next to virtually everyone, and whilst i'm sure no-one would care if i slacked off (i am currently on OCUK :D) and had an early dart i wondered what other people did.

Associate
OP
I'd usually be working tomorrow but am doing today instead, then back in on Monday. 3am start but at least I have very little to do with the public as I'm behind the scenes unlike the poor sods in the restaurants.
Or you could get a life and enjoy your day off...

I meant drop in here from time to time.
I'm going to and I'm not due back in until Wednesday when there should be a few tasty reductions available (if the customers and rest of the crew haven't claimed all the best ones or not saved some for anybody else like a load of bar stards ).
I've been starting at 3 in the afternoon for the past few fridays so what I'm going to do is open one of my kronens at that time (only my first as I didn't have any last night).

There was a late shift last year when the Co-op were getting rid of a load of bottles of booze which they couldn't sell so me and the rest of the night shift helped ourselves to as many as we could get or carry (I got a couple of bottles of Bailey's and a bottle of Rhubarb gin [which weren't for me] but NO CANS OF LAGER) . You shoulf have seen the tablrful of claimed bottles.

Associate
OP
For those of you that typically work Christmas Eve, do you get early finishes or just normal hours?

I generally book the time off, as it's our anniversary on the 22nd so we're away somewhere but that hasn't happened this year. My first company most people worked it, then we'd finish around 12-1pm and go for a beer before heading home. Whereas the last 2 places i've worked never mentioned anything. Maybe because they're more remote offices vs the centre of Manchester.

This year i'm pretty much the only person working, my Teams chat has out of office icons next to virtually everyone, and whilst i'm sure no-one would care if i slacked off (i am currently on OCUK :D) and had an early dart i wondered what other people did.

That's if the pubs haven't been closed yet but I can't believe The Deansgate's permanently closed as that was one of my favourites and The Vine on Kennedy Street and Wetherspoons've stopped doing kronenbourg and Heineken but lept the crappy ones or replaced them).

Soldato
There's not much reason to go shopping xmas eve. Mad if you leave anything important til then.

Bet it's mostly people mooching about for bargains on account of shops need stuff gone on xmas eve for that day plus every day they're gonna close for.

Soldato
That's if the pubs haven't been closed yet but I can't believe The Deansgate's permanently closed as that was one of my favourites and The Vine on Kennedy Street and Wetherspoons've stopped doing kronenbourg and Heineken but lept the crappy ones or replaced them).

I worked across the road from the Deasgate. It was always The Knot bar for me!

Soldato
Are you suggesting I'm a shirtlifter?

:eek:

Weird innit. I'm hoping it's not the start of a trend where we end up with thousands of supermarket-worker members.

They are essential workers and you will show due respect for their fascinating war stories.

Yeah I don't get this, surely the store should factor in closing at say 4pm means last customer out at 430. And hurry the ****up too. If possible.

I think people just like to moan about anything, which is fine, but illogical.
.it's part of the job.

Since the licencing laws changed "shopping up time" is no longer a thing.

taB

taB

Associate
Maybe get a job in a different shop? We'll be closing at 2ish today and I got the team cooked breakfast and pink champagne for breakfast as our usual Christmas Eve tradition.

Re closing times, if I'm advertising a closing time that is the minimum we will be open for. e.g. if it says 9-5 on the door we may well be open at half 8 and close when we're done after 5.

Caporegime
For a bit of context, we've got a drainage company that have been fighting a blockage for three days now, it's literally one massive solid lump of tampons and sanitary towels with a few tons of foul waste sitting on top of it, so when it finally lets go, it's going to shower these guys as they're drilling from beneath it. They're carrying out these works from a stinky bin store in the freezing cold, and are getting a steady stream of human waste drip on to them. Once they're done, they're on call for the next 5 days so can't go anywhere, can't drink, and need to be at defcon 1 for the entire Christmas period.

Tell me again how leaving your nice warm workplace early on Christmas eve to go and enjoy a Kronenbourg sucks?

Man of Honour
For a bit of context, we've got a drainage company that have been fighting a blockage for three days now, it's literally one massive solid lump of tampons and sanitary towels with a few tons of foul waste sitting on top of it, so when it finally lets go, it's going to shower these guys as they're drilling from beneath it. They're carrying out these works from a stinky bin store in the freezing cold, and are getting a steady stream of human waste drip on to them. Once they're done, they're on call for the next 5 days so can't go anywhere, can't drink, and need to be at defcon 1 for the entire Christmas period.

Tell me again how leaving your nice warm workplace early on Christmas eve to go and enjoy a Kronenbourg sucks?

There's some people in the world that would pay good money to have human waste drip on them.

Whatever floats your boat!

Soldato
Is this on Prime or Netflix?

Soldato
I think a lot of what the OP is complaining about isn't so much working it but the people who have no consideration for the staff - turning up moments before closing time and then getting on with whatever you have to do is one thing - but there always seems to be those people who have no urgency, drag stuff out for no good reason and/or generally waste people's time without even an apology.

I was originally promised Boxing day and then also New Years day off where I work and now I'm working both because "needs of the business" :( however I've gone from working pretty much every day except Christmas day and New Years to having 10 days off over the period (due to another colleague screwing up their holiday allowance and the only way they could sort it was to have him pick up some of my shifts and have me take them as holiday which I was happy to do) so I'm not complaining too much. Otherwise to be frank I'd be livid. At least both are going to be paid at double time plus unsocial hours top up on top of that so it isn't all bad and New Years is only a 4 hour shift.

I think the government should have made it a national holiday. I never agreed with retail opening on Sundays to start with as it just sets an unfair playing field for the bigger names to hover up all the trade. If everywhere was closed on certain days it would be equal for all. I accept there are some exceptions like pharmacies and petrol stations though.

Soldato
I think the government should have made it a national holiday. I never agreed with retail opening on Sundays to start with as it just sets an unfair playing field for the bigger names to hover up all the trade. If everywhere was closed on certain days it would be equal for all. I accept there are some exceptions like pharmacies and petrol stations though.

That would be absolute madness though because everyone who works Mon-Friday would have to go on a Saturday and it'd be overloaded and unbearable for everyone. The most logical thing if you wanted shops to close an extra day would be a midweek closure which is often localised and still in practice.

I'm not sure why you're in favour of a Sunday close though.

Soldato
What's wrong with coming in 5 minutes before closing? The shop is still open. One of my pet peeves is when I walk in 5 mins before closing, and the staff are already closing the shutter things for the refrigerated items, then I have to open it back up again. Just so they can leave work a few minutes earlier, by inconveniencing customers.

It's not acceptable because people are paid for the store's opening hours. After customers leave many shops have to cash up or at least sort out floats, padlock fire exits, security check for anyone trying to hide and break out once the coast is clear.

Back
Top Bottom