US: Star Trek: Discovery

TNG was very rarely about space battles. It was more about good story telling. This series, may just be a product of its time. It is so much easier to create flashy CGI animations now but not so easy to create cohesive and compelling storylines. Also everything now is woke for the time being.

Associate
I take it that there is no way to watch this here without paying for Paramount+ and then using a VPN to access it? Any indication it'll be coming to a UK service any time soon?

Haven't checked personally but I thought I saw a report it had been put on Pluto TV for free.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Three times now I've sat down to watch the latest episode of STD...and I can't do it. Just too damned ill after my booster shot. In my current condition it might finish me off.

Man of Honour
Indeed this week's episode felt like an classical Trek episode, Federation politics, a civilisation on the brink, captain to the rescue, no internal politics or shens as per last few eps that many don't like, some raw SCIENCE done by the engineering peeps, Tilly being missed (!). Excellent. I'm really interested in seeing what the anomaly is or was created by as well.

Associate
Indeed this week's episode felt like an classical Trek episode, Federation politics, a civilisation on the brink, captain to the rescue, no internal politics or shens as per last few eps that many don't like, some raw SCIENCE done by the engineering peeps, Tilly being missed (!). Excellent. I'm really interested in seeing what the anomaly is or was created by as well.

Hopefully it was created by evil time travelling Womulan's!

Soldato

Thought exactly the same - it 'felt' like a Trek episode. I've said before, they don't need Universe ending story lines.

Enjoyed this episode and some beautiful effects.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
The problem with this and modern media is they're too risk averse and it makes it seem like PC nonsense. It's written this way because it has no source material like the Expanse, so there is no freelance author calling the shots on their characters.

I have enjoyed parts of it, and will keep watching because it's Trek and easy watching but some bits are overly twee and cringe for me and the box ticking it too evident. They want a younger audience and that means making Trek different, I accept that, things change, but it's insulting the audience's intelligence by being so in your face.

Caporegime
To be fair TNG had a load of that. Every episode was someone having counselling sessions with Troi or Guinan.
people were more discreet back in your day and made it seem more natural though, or I was very naive.

these days it seems in your face like a childrens educational video to be shown at a school.

won't someone educate the children

Caporegime
TNG was very rarely about space battles. It was more about good story telling. This series, may just be a product of its time. It is so much easier to create flashy CGI animations now but not so easy to create cohesive and compelling storylines. Also everything now is woke for the time being.
not Everything.

Station eleven doesn't seem woke.

The problem seems to be when programmes put stereotypically looking lesbians and gays in TV series with the usual gay sounding hollywood archetype voices...

in real life you can not tell people are gay from how they look and sound..... only a small minority of annoying people display sexuality on the outside like a badge

the issue for me becomes when the characters sexuality is their only identity.....

should we assume everyone is just straight if they don't have a lesbian haircut of a gay voice? is it offensive to the LGBT+ whatever community if your discreet about your sexuality ?

do they look down upon the discreet more normal people..... who they probably think are living in a closet because it's not on display 24/7?

from looks alone and voice sound you honestly should not be able to tell surely?

is beckham suddenly gay cos he used to sound camp with his natural voice? do we assume hes in the closet ?

they always seem like shallow 2d characters...... it's annoying and forced never feels right..

some of the most liked characters on TV used to be gay.... even in the 90s....

whys graham norton get so big? whos the other guy alan carr chatty man?

Stephen fry is gay right.... he doesn't make it so obvious though.... are the hollywood types suggesting it's shame or what? he's pretty much a normal down to earth cool dood.....

he's well liked surely? it's not because people are anti LGBT

it's because the characters always look stupid , sound stupid and have to have forced romances and crap....

absolutely no need....

laffayette in true blood also really popular character no?

maybe hes a bit of a strange one though cos he's kinda in your face about it but he pulls it off amazingly.

is it more to do with bad actors and terrible casting agents going for a "type" or just the constant forced storylines.

anyway I turned the latest ep off halfway through and said I'm done....

so this is my last post int he thread.

bye all

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Been really poor imo. Season gets worst. It's like they swung the show to different direction away from space exploration and to fillers that detract from the show.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom