Which supermarket do you use for your weekly food shop (online delivery)?

Caporegime
The third one sounds like what the doctors told me off, I am only eligible after my surgery is done, they literally doing it as a last resort, after dietician plan, after exercise plan and after surgery. The fourth sounds interesting but I guess only for diabetics?

Orlistat I don't think is generally considered a last resort drug as it's fairly benign, at least compared to surgery!

The 4th class, drugs like Dapagliflozin may be used as a last resort for weight loss but I don't really know much about them.

EDIT - You can buy orlistat from a pharmacist without a prescription so I don't think it's what the doctor is referring to, best to ask to clarify.

Last edited:
Soldato
Orlistat I don't think is generally considered a last resort drug as it's fairly benign, at least compared to surgery!

The 4th class, drugs like Dapagliflozin may be used as a last resort for weight loss but I don't really know much about them.

EDIT - You can buy orlistat from a pharmacist without a prescription so I don't think it's what the doctor is referring to, best to ask to clarify.

Thanks well its similar in terms of what its description is (reducing fat stored from food), I wasnt aware it can be got non prescription so is something for me to consider, as to why my doctors said surgery is ahead of the queue over tablets, only they know their reasons for saying that.

Order coming today almost my entire order is subbed or unavailable, ordered cost £39 actual cost after unavailable £12

Caporegime
Thanks well its similar in terms of what its description is (reducing fat stored from food), I wasnt aware it can be got non prescription so is something for me to consider, as to why my doctors said surgery is ahead of the queue over tablets, only they know their reasons for saying that.

Order coming today almost my entire order is subbed or unavailable, ordered cost £39 actual cost after unavailable £12

Possibly because of the modest effects of orlistat on weight loss, if you have a high fat diet it can produce decent weight loss, but after stopping the medication a lot of people put the weight back on.

Formulary data here:

https://bnf.nice.org.uk/drug/orlistat.html#indicationsAndDoses

Drug action

Orlistat, a lipase inhibitor, reduces the absorption of dietary fat.

Indications and dose
Adjunct in obesity (in conjunction with a mildly hypocaloric diet in individuals with a body mass index (BMI) of 30 kg/m2 or more or in individuals with a BMI of 28 kg/m2 or more in the presence of other risk factors such as type 2 diabetes, hypertension, or hypercholesterolaemia)
By mouth

• For Adult
    120 mg up to 3 times a day, dose to be taken immediately before, during, or up to 1 hour after each main meal, continue treatment beyond 12 weeks only if weight loss since start of treatment exceeds 5% (target for initial weight loss may be lower in patients with type 2 diabetes), if a meal is missed or contains no fat, the dose of orlistat should be omitted.

Soldato
Subscription food >*

I recommend Gousto.

I use hello fresh now. It’s great. It saves me having to go shopping - just pick up odds and ends as and when i need them in the shop for 5 minutes at the most. Get a different meal every night and no waste at all. There will be enough for me to have the additional meal(s) depending on how much we eat - the following lunch time or throw it in the freezer for another night.

It’s just better and save me buying mountains of junk food that I’ll just eat because its there.

Soldato
I use hello fresh now. It’s great. It saves me having to go shopping - just pick up odds and ends as and when i need them in the shop for 5 minutes at the most. Get a different meal every night and no waste at all. There will be enough for me to have the additional meal(s) depending on how much we eat - the following lunch time or throw it in the freezer for another night.

It’s just better and save me buying mountains of junk food that I’ll just eat because its there.
Don't forget the 'takeaway avoidance' element to this as well. That's a 30 quid saving every time :D

I did try HelloFresh but didn't like the amount of non recyclable packaging.

Soldato
HelloFresh is good for a couple of weeks but found the recipes quite repetitive and as mentioned the amount of plastic waste felt counter productive.

That said, it was good for managing portions and avoiding weekday takeouts.

For usual shopping we use Iceland as the prices are reasonable and we can always get a next day slot, and sometimes same day if we are early enough. For non delivery we use Aldi as it's within a walkable distance and again prices are reasonable. We occasionally do Morrisons but have found that unless you watch what you are buying it can get expensive for the quality you get.

Soldato
Tesco's. We used to go to Aldi/Lidl/Asda and the shopping was around 10-15% cheaper but it's just easier to order it all online and have it delivered to your house.

We are both really busy people and getting rid of the need to actually go out and do the food shop is worth the extra money

Associate

I must be missing something as I never understood the advantage to these services... For example I'm on HelloFresh's site now and it says £42.99 for 5 recipes per week for 2 people. So assuming 3 meals per day per person, where do your other 20 meals (5 x 2 x 2) + your weekend meals (another 12) come from? If the minimum you're paying is £43/week and still needing 32 more meals (not including starters, sides or desserts), how is that a good deal from any perspective?

Back
Top Bottom