Robert Jordan’s fantasy epic The Wheel of Time coming to TV

Soldato
I largely thought it was quite crap. I then rewatched it with the commentary from Brandan Sanderson over the top, and enjoyed it a little bit more the second way through. It is interesting hearing from him and others as to why they did or didn't do stuff, why the left bits out, etc. as well as what he thought worked. I agree with him that you can't adapt it stage by stage, and have episode after eipsode of X, Y and Z going from one town to another on their way to Camelyn - it would be utterly boring and appeal to a very small portion of the audience they're trying to reach.

Also, as Sanderson quite rightly pointed out, the ending to the EOTW is really quite a poor one compared to the next five books, and is also very confusing seeing as a fair bit happens that we never really hear of again. The girls don't really get involved in the final chapters much, so it would be difficult to translate like for like onto the screen, and I thought some of what we saw on screen was an improvement on the book - (Ishy a better character to introduce than Aginor and Balthamel at this stage - although I sincerely hope we don't miss out on the Forsaken throughout the series)

I can understand why they left out characters (Bayle Domon, etc.) or rearranged parts (Camelyn in S2 due to a lack of episodes in S1), but of the stuff they added in or included from scratch I really didn't like much of it. I thought Mat's character and family backstory was awful, the warder eposide was really poor, etc.

One thing that's not really their fault, but I don't think they helped themselves much, was that they only got 8 episodes from Amazon rather than the 10 they wanted. It meant that everything was rushed - characters, relationships, dialogue, etc. It was clunky and OTT most of the way through - there was very little showing us but loads of telling us. None of the EF5 were really that bothered about one of them being the DR, which is kinda nuts if you think about it given the significance of the role in the world/books, etc.

In terms of the finale, there were a few things I did enjoy and a few things that seemed shoe-horned in there:

• I really liked the scenes with Ishamael, and thought his interaction with Rand was very interesting
  • I actually quite liked the ending with Rand legging it and Moiraine powerless to stop him - not out of character from book Rand
  • I thought Padan Fain walking off with the HoV a good way of introducing that plotline
  • The introduction of the Seanchan was a good cliffhanger for non-book fans
  • The big battle scene with the trollocs, Agelmar and the linked channels was rubbish - perhaps partly a casualty of the VFX budget for season one
  • The girls didn't really have much to do, whilst Perrin had even worse - they've done him a big disservice so far
  • WTF would the HoV be kept under a chair, and that loads of people knew about it??
  • Be interesting to see what the Seanchan tidal wave was for... because if it was just for that little kid then lol

All in all I'd give the series a generous 6/10, but more realistically a 5/10. I felt that as long as they kept much of the soul of the books then I'd be content, but they've changed so much of it that I'm struggling to find stuff I really like about it. I think they've overdone the new plots and were too ambitious for the budget they were given, seeing as so much of it was seemingly eaten up through VFX. I hope these are just first season growing pains, as there's plenty of work with over the next two books for them to put out a great season two... but not if they try to squeeze everything into 8 episode.

I must admit it looks, sounds and feels very different from the show I anticipated, and I genuinely hope it improves as I'd like to see them get to the end of the books.

Soldato
Really disappointed with the final episode, so much guff they stuck in for no apparent reason. Battle didn't have any sense of scale. Acting from the male leads (Lan aside) is shocking. Glad they've recast Mat, as it would be hard to justify the "pretty" bit with the current actor.

Soldato
Perrin has some of the worst acting I've ever seen. The whole thing is just awful. You can see where the money has gone must by looking at all the extra management jobs in the credits, because it certainly isnt going on cgi or script writing.

Soldato
And now I'm confused, what the **** was the deal with the huge technologically advanced city with the aircraft/spacecraft flying about some 3000 years prior to the events of series?

And the Yin and Yang symbol on the floor, what was that all about?

Last edited:
Permabanned
And now I'm confused, what the **** was the deal with the huge technologically advanced city with the aircraft/spacecraft flying about some 3000 years prior to the events of series?

Yin Yang is the ancient Aes Sedai Symbol. Assume it was a glimpse at the Age of Legends, have not watched the episode.

Soldato
Yin Yang is the ancient Aes Sedai Symbol. Assume it was a glimpse at the Age of Legends, have not watched the episode.
Yeah it represents the female half of the power, saidar and the male half saidan (read elsewhere that the word saidan hasnt even been mentioned in the 8 episodes... Wonderful world building)

Associate

WoT is actually a post apocalyptic setting. The floor was a seal to the dark ones prison and the symbol is for the ancient aes sedai. In the show you may or may not see only the white half (unsure if they've used it yet) being used to represent current day aes sedai.

I think saidin has been mentioned at some point, but they haven't made any effort to explain it.

Soldato
Have watched 6/8 episodes so far and it’s watchable generic fantasy that doesn’t require a whole lot of thinking.

Ideal viewing with a few Xmas drinks onboard.

Fans of the books probably hate it.

Associate
Have watched 6/8 episodes so far and it’s watchable generic fantasy that doesn’t require a whole lot of thinking.

Ideal viewing with a few Xmas drinks onboard.

Fans of the books probably hate it.

I found it unwatchable.

Actors low budget, bad actors in general, apart from a few exceptions. Script and pacing of the 8 episodes terrible. Special effects that would have been in a 90's TV series, that are deemed acceptable in 2021. Cinematography that is laughably bad. Accuracy to books also terrible, for example "five" Taverren...only three existed in the books and Egwene or Nynaeve were not either of them.

If it lasts beyond two- to-three series, I will be amazed. Netflix would have cancelled it by now.

Soldato
Bloody hell, that was all sorts of pants. If I hadn’t read the books this would be a 6/10 hope it gets better next season stuff. As a reader they fluffed EOtW it was a simple journey story. They messed up the tone of the characters when it was all written for them. Then they added crap of their own.

Talk about hubris, you pay good money for the rights to a multi million best selling 14 book series with over 3000 named characters but you feel the need to write some new plot of your own. Compare this to The Expanse or GoT and it’s a cackhanded adaptation of solid if overlong source material.

I agree with the comments about streamlining Balzamon and the HoV story but elsewhere it was balls.

Soldato
Got 30 mins in and gave up. I might have to try again, but I just found it so very boring, plus I absolutely despise Rosmund Pike and I don't think the show has enough to get me to overlook her.

Am I wrong?

Soldato
You're not wrong.

Too much emphasis placed on Morgaine, presumably a combination of her being the big name star and a desire to keep the identity of the Dragon a secret.

Daft changing things to pretend the Dragon could be male or female, when the whole point is that the taint on the male half of the one power is what will drive him mad.

Terrible casting. Perrin simply can't act and Mat looks like Denis Penis after a rough night. Rand is wooden and petulant. I don't mind Nynaeve. Lan is oddly the best of the bunch, despite looking different to how I'd pictured him.

No mention of the fact that males and females can't see the weaves of the other sex.

The dark one looked like Eric Cantona had wandered onto set by mistake.

Wasn't made clear that the Yin Yang symbol was actually the seal to the prison or that the chunk that came out showed the dark one was breaking through.

The Seanchan arrive and use a tidal wave to kill one small girl, erm ok.

Loial dies?

The whole thing gets more awful the more I think about it.

Soldato
Well I got up to the bit where the barmaid thinks Matt and Rand are gay and have given up now. I don't get why anyone would take a perfectly good story and change huge parts of it for no apparent reason. Maybe I'd think different of it if I hadn't read the books but I just can't go along with all the changes and reading some of the other comments here there are loads more. Has made me want to re-read the books though.

Soldato
They pillaged the original at random, and joined the random bits together with a load of gibberish and put it together poorly.
While spending vast amounts of money to make it look like it was made a shoestring budget with left over sets, and costumes.
They've then put the abomination through a "woke" grinder/filter.

Soldato
Right I’ve now finished it.

They did a bad job with this. I can only hope second series is good. My thoughts summarised:

Fantasy- yes great, we love fantasy

Characters- no development and pretty much disliked them all (lots of very annoying characters)

Acting- wooden, lacking conviction, amateurish

Writing- given how mumbled the dialogue mostly is you’d be forgiven for not noticing this is poorly written

Plot- five “kids” go to Mordor equivalent and one is “the chosen one” is basically the only way to summarise it. There was little regard to development, it was disjointed, the creators probably managed to get the worst result possible out of what could have been gripping

Visuals- sometimes looked great, but most of the time you’d think it was Lo-fi budget stuff (particularly with the cast/acting quality)

Something to file under “got nothing to do and want to binge watch something whilst spending most of the time on my phone”

Soldato
Not distinguishing between saidin and saidar is such a terrible decision I just can't understand it. As terrible as the show is compared to the books, that one thing disappoints me more than anything.

I can forgive a lot. Bad CGI - sure, budget problems. Perrin's bad acting - sure, the guy didn't have much to work with. Ruining Mat - sure, the actor left mid season which probably caused all sorts of issues. Skipping Caemlyn with Rand meeting Elayne - sure, probably didn't have the budget to build another big city outside of Tar Valon. Skipping the 2 Forsaken at the end - sure, those 2 were kinda lame anyway. Healing death at the end - sure, maybe Nynaeve wasn't fully dead.

But saidin and saidar are core to the whole series. You just can't leave that out and still called it Wheel of Time.

They did Padan Fain better in the show. I'll give them that.

The show desperately needed a Fellowship of the Ring film style prologue. The EOTW book prologue is absolutely epic. Can you imagine how much better the show would feel if there was a prologue at the start of the show with narration explaining sealing the dark one away, him tainting the male half of the power, switching to Lews Therin doing his prologue thing. Animate it if you can't afford to live action it. It would've set the scene so much better than what we got in the show.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I knew it wouldn't be great the moment I saw how Morriane entered the Winespring Inn in the trailers. It was wrong on so many levels.

Terrible.

Soldato
It was boring woke trash, sideline the male protagonists forefront the Mary Sue's...almost to be expected now. Just like Foundation it's one of those that if you watch late at night or in the dark, or maybe even in bed, you'll find yourself in and our of sleep wondering what bits you were awake for and how far you have to rewind. The casting and acting were terrible, the only real actor innit, RP, clearly phoning it in, she must be hoping it's cancelled. Apparently it cost a lot of money to make, I have no idea what they spent it on (maybe RP?) It all looks so cheap, and is dismal on the eye.

It has the feel of a terrible YA novel slung onto the screen by the SyFy channel. It's not interesting, it's not exciting, there is no drama, no tension, nothing. The story-telling? lol! if you're not heavily invested in WOT to begin with, this is not going to enthrall you the way GOT.

They clearly had no confidence in their writers, or in their ability to pull a classic high-fantasy epic off and should have spent much more time on world-building and carachter development. If your cast is poor, then you have to have the story and the world be intruiging and exciting, this is like watching paint dry.

For some reason they have already commited to two more seasons, they're going to have to do a hell of a lot work to turn this around to get a 4th. Slightly better than Foundation 3.5 out of 10.

Back
Top Bottom