Arguments at the Christmas dinner table!

First of all, I appreciate that not all of us get to spend Christmas Day at home / with family / with partner / with in-laws (God forbid!)

For those who do, you know that there is a list of topics that you should probably avoid at the dinner table, including politics, religion and conspiracy theories when you've had a bit to drink.

So I thought I would get away with something as innocent as technology (?!) - By asking how long have we all been online for? So each of us gave answers of between 1995 and 1999, so that's at least 20 years for all of us. Then one of them mentioned GIFs, an early internet image format. Another at the dinner table pipped up that GIF should be pronounced "Jif" as in the lemon juice brand. I backed the original person, saying that it should be a hard G like Gary, not George, and if it should be a soft G, then someone really should have told me that in the last 20-25 years. This erupted into an argument but none of the others knew the answer. A couple of minutes later, Granny switched topics to the Strictly finals / winners and the table became civilised again :p

So please can you OcUKers settle my argument - Gif vs Jif?! Then give us your Christmas dinner classics that you've had this year or in a previous year? If your argument is still unresolved, then us OcUKers can try and settle yours too :D

Soldato
I say gif but now u mention it there's quite a lot of tech related related things I might read on here but never actually said them out loud to anyone :p

Soldato
How do you get into a heated discussion/argument over something so pointless?

probably need to get the belligerents to give their heads a wobble if they argue so easily.

Commissario
It's meant to be pronounced Jif, but no-one does.

jif.gif

I seem to remember this being evened out by Roy Kent saying "Some people pronounce it 'gif'" in a later episode.

Back
Top Bottom