Robert Jordan’s fantasy epic The Wheel of Time coming to TV

Soldato
Plot- five “kids” go to Mordor equivalent and one is “the chosen one” is basically the only way to summarise it.

That comment made me think.

I wonder does it feel like that because of how they've butchered the source material and don't really understand it. So they are trying to make it something it isn't.

Soldato
There's a simple rule to follow in TV shows or movies, if diversity is a driving factor then the show will turn out to be ****. God knows what abomination lotr will turn out to be.

I wonder does it feel like that because of how they've butchered the source material and don't really understand it. So they are trying to make it something it isn't.
Yes

Soldato

Absolutely. From conversations with avid fans of the books it seems they’ve done a woeful job.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
There are too many issues it isn't just any one thing.

I watched this earlier and was impressed with the respect they gave to the source material for Witcher. Made me think how clearly WoT don't give AF.

Soldato
So is this meant to be set on Earth in the distant future then? How are we supposed to know that if it's never mentioned?

It's only ever hinted at in the books - and not really until book 4 (?) that we've start seeing signs of it, but it's a very, very minor point in the books.

Soldato
I'm going to be surprised if it makes it past season 3 at this rate.

It's clear that the showrunners knew that they were going to lose many fans of the books due to a number of major changes from the core body of work. That's fine, in theory, if the end result is a fantastic series that draws in plenty of viewers. And in really unsure whether it's been able to that.

I'm not sure whether I'm in an echo chamber, and I'm hearing a small number of very loud voices of mostly book fans who are panning the show, or if it's genuinely been shunned by wider audiences. Anecdotally the few friends I have who have watched Season 1 but who've not read the books have really enjoyed the show. At the same time it seems to have broken several Prime viewers records.

It's really going to sink or swim on Season 2 I reckon, as the more the diverge from the books the louder those dissenting book-reading voices become. I think they've made a rod for their own backs by casting certain actors in key roles, particularly Rosamund Pike - she's a very good actress but the showrunners now need to change an awful lot of the plot in order to keep her the prime character on screen.

Going to be interesting to see how it pans out...

Soldato
There's a simple rule to follow in TV shows or movies, if diversity is a driving factor then the show will turn out to be ****. God knows what abomination lotr will turn out to be.

Yes

WOT is just another repurposing of a popular IP, for political reasons. I am absolutely dreading LOTR.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
I've watched the show with the wife and she said that she does not care about any of the characters their is not much of a back story being told and if was not for me she would be confused about the White Tower and all the Ajahs
's/

Soldato
Sean Bean should have been cast and they could have killed him off in this too! Like GOT...

Nah, him starring in something only to be killed off comes at a premium. Given that they're too busy blowing their budget on hair, I can't imagine they'd be willing or able to afford him even for half an episode.

Associate
So is this meant to be set on Earth in the distant future then? How are we supposed to know that if it's never mentioned?
It's not meant to be Earth. It's just a world that was technologically advanced then was broken and regressed massively, but it's not intended to be a far future earth.

Soldato
There are too many issues it isn't just any one thing.

I watched this earlier and was impressed with the respect they gave to the source material for Witcher. Made me think how clearly WoT don't give AF.

what do you mean , witcher season 2 barely followed the book at all to my annoyance. Quite enjoyed WoT but i haven’t read the books . Ignorance is bliss i guess!

Soldato
Its not being woke or diversity that has ruined it. Its ripping up the source material.
For me its the SHOCKINGLY poor production value, it's like its been filmed and directed by complete amateurs, the casting is all wrong, the actors are awful, the sets are lighted poorly, costumes, cinematography everything is awful. Everything about it is complete crap, especially compared to The Witcher (which had roughly the same budget).

Associate
I started reading the first book just after Christmas and there was a scene in the tv show where Rand seemed to have a sudden character change and started arguing a lot, turns out it's in the book.

Associate
Not distinguishing between saidin and saidar is such a terrible decision I just can't understand it. As terrible as the show is compared to the books, that one thing disappoints me more than anything.
But saidin and saidar are core to the whole series. You just can't leave that out and still called it Wheel of Time.

I've seen this said a couple times and I don't think it's true. I can't recall if they explicitly call it saidin but they definitely talk about the male side of the power and differentiate it from the female. They also have the Aes Sedai mention how terrifying it is to not be able to see Logars weaves when he's captive. They just know it's there because they're struggling to contain him.

The show is far from perfect but given there were only given 8 episodes, got hit really hard by pandemic shutdowns and then had to shoe horn in last minute plot changes due to Matt going awol (who I thought was the best of the boys, despite having to do the whole possessed by an evil dagger gig for half his screentime) I'm willing to give it a pass and see what they can do/clean up for season 2.

Associate
I've seen this said a couple times and I don't think it's true. I can't recall if they explicitly call it saidin but they definitely talk about the male side of the power and differentiate it from the female. They also have the Aes Sedai mention how terrifying it is to not be able to see Logars weaves when he's captive. They just know it's there because they're struggling to contain him.

The show is far from perfect but given there were only given 8 episodes, got hit really hard by pandemic shutdowns and then had to shoe horn in last minute plot changes due to Matt going awol (who I thought was the best of the boys, despite having to do the whole possessed by an evil dagger gig for half his screen time) I'm willing to give it a pass and see what they can do/clean up for season 2.

I assume series 2 will follow The Hunt for the Horn book, 2nd book in the series. However, after the @@@@ show that was series 1, they will mess up book 2 as well. Some of the main plot points involve characters that have not even been introduced from Eye of the World, for example The Forsaken and Selene...

"Logars weaves." I believe his name is Logain, in the books and TV series.

Back
Top Bottom