Home Charger 2022

Caporegime
Then chargers and cars need to start coming down in price else only the moderately wealthy will be able to afford cars and the infrastructure in the future.

Chargers aren’t that expensive in the grand scheme of things. The cars on the other hand, I’m just not certain they’ll ever be as affordable as ICE, I’m not sure I’d want a 10-15 year old BEV, with the number of charge cycles it will have undoubtedly had by that point.

Currently adding a charger to your property appears to add value, so it’s roughly cost neutral anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
You’re missing the point entirely.

One cable from the consumer unit will feed up to 100 chargers. The Andersen or Hypervolt both need additional hardware (you need to order the load balancer up front for the Andersen etc) and each additional charger would require an additional run from the unit, with its own RCD etc. double the cost.

The weather proofing was an attempt to show that I know people that can verify it’s performance in extreme weather.

I’ll shut up then :o

I don’t think I am for home charging, clue in the name. The discussion may have also been energised by the claim others were being “shortsighted”

The current counters actually are powered by the energy and EMF around the cable so the load is measured wirelessly on some installs.

Associate
OP
30yNk94.jpeg

Got a quote back for the Ohme from a local installer. Does this seems a bit high?

Ohme say "From £550 (fully installed with OZEV grant)" and I think it should be an easy install too

Associate
OP
5SrrhxQ.jpeg

Not exact measurements but should be within 0.5m. Charger is going to be inside a double garage on the middle pillar between two garage doors. House is a new build only 6 months old. So I think it should be a straight forward install.

Associate
OP
Did you get a choice on load management? Seems expensive for the cable if a standard sub 10m install.

Seems some places do the charger for much less aswell so theres some fat there. £660 for the charger to start with.

Load management wasn't discussed.
Yeah definitely bit of fat there. See if I can get a revised quote.

Associate
OP
Just asked a work colleague and he’s getting a Home Pro for £550 all in. Going over 1.8M can be a “non standard” install. Is that direct from Ohme?

Hmmm can I ask what location and which company?

I made the query through Ohme on their website and they just send your details to a local installer. And this was the quote they gave me.

What's a standard/non-standard install? Have I put the charger too far from the electric meter? I am generally a bit flexible where it goes atm

Soldato
Ill ask him, Its only really podpoint ive seen that mentions criteria for 'standard' ie the cheapest but it makes sense.

My Ohme Intelligent wasnt much more than £550 and including lifting bricks and drilling through the path to my house and an earth rod!

Mine was https://www.elecology.com/ and would recommend.

EDIT: My colleague reminded me it was me who showed him the deal direct through Octopus if you are in the right area.

Soldato
Not exact measurements but should be within 0.5m. Charger is going to be inside a double garage on the middle pillar between two garage doors. House is a new build only 6 months old. So I think it should be a straight forward install.

Is the consumer unit inside the garage and is the existing consumer unit full?

Looking at the quote it seems they are looking to install a new sub main and mini consumer unit to house the breakers for the charge point. If that is the case it doesn't look too over the top.

A 'standard' installation basically consists of mounting the charge point on an exterior wall, surface clipping a short run of cable, drilling one hole and wiring it into a spare way in the consumer unit. Anything more than that is normally at an extra cost which is most I'd expect.

Associate
OP
Is the consumer unit inside the garage and is the existing consumer unit full?

Looking at the quote it seems they are looking to install a new sub main and mini consumer unit to house the breakers for the charge point. If that is the case it doesn't look too over the top.

A 'standard' installation basically consists of mounting the charge point on an exterior wall, surface clipping a short run of cable, drilling one hole and wiring it into a spare way in the consumer unit. Anything more than that is normally at an extra cost which is most I'd expect.

Having just googled consumer unit I've realised I've been calling it a fuse box. The thing with all the circuit breakers is in the garage in the diagram. It appears to have 4 slots empty that don't have circuit breakers.

Would it be possible for the cable to be run inside the wall and if so do you think this would count as extra?

I've also messaged a few other places and will update you guys on what I get.

Soldato
The cable can be ran internally and would be preferable in that set up. In fact as it is entirely internal, cheaper cable should be able to be used as it doesn't need to be armoured. There may be a reason why they can't come off the main consumer unit, you could all them and ask.

A lot of installers like to just split the meter tails and install a new mini consumer unit so they don't have to touch the existing installation, based on the quote, I think that is there plan for you.

Are you planning on parking your cars inside the garage or do you just want the equipment out of sight?

I have mine on the middle pillar of my double garage but its on the outside. We never park cars in the garage so opening it up to plug in each time would be hassle I couldn't be doing with. :p

For reference my Hypervolt install was £880 but it was on a detached garage. It was about a 20m run (about 1.5m underground) and the installer split the existing meter tails and installed a new mini consumer unit under my meter cabinet which is down the side of my house.

Associate
OP
The cable can be ran internally and would be preferable in that set up. In fact as it is entirely internal, cheaper cable should be able to be used as it doesn't need to be armoured. There may be a reason why they can't come off the main consumer unit, you could all them and ask.

A lot of installers like to just split the meter tails and install a new mini consumer unit so they don't have to touch the existing installation, based on the quote, I think that is there plan for you.

Are you planning on parking your cars inside the garage or do you just want the equipment out of sight?

I have mine on the middle pillar of my double garage but its on the outside. We never park cars in the garage so opening it up to plug in each time would be hassle I couldn't be doing with. :p

For reference my Hypervolt install was £880 but it was on a detached garage. It was about a 20m run (about 1.5m underground) and the installer split the existing meter tails and installed a new mini consumer unit under my meter cabinet which is down the side of my house.

Equipment out of sight. I too have a double garage and plan to have the charger on the middle pillar between the two doors. However my garage is part of the house with an internal door and in fact is the most further forward part of the house. I have likely gone in and out of the house more times through the garage than the actual front door so it wouldn't be a problem for me. :p

Soldato
Equipment out of sight. I too have a double garage and plan to have the charger on the middle pillar between the two doors. However my garage is part of the house with an internal door and in fact is the most further forward part of the house. I have likely gone in and out of the house more times through the garage than the actual front door so it wouldn't be a problem for me. :p

Mines at the front of the property too so it basically came down to Hypervolt and Anderson as they are the only two acceptable looking tethered chargers that deal with the cable in an acceptable way, the price was the ultimate deciding factor. I didn't even bother showing the Zappi to my wife, even I know that is not a looker...

If you haven't already, plan for some electric garage doors, I'd never go back to manual (you may have noticed a theme :p). Insulated doors can also make a noticeable difference to how warm houses feel with integrated garages too.

Soldato
I think there is someone that has one on here, anything I’ve seen about them is positive, just expensive. To be perfectly honest, you can’t really go wrong with any of the main players on the market right now, so just buy whichever you like.

Caporegime
Anyone used the Anderson charger? Currently top of my list. It looks good and has a hidden cable.

iMO the best charger you can get but comes at double the cost. You can save hundreds by buying one of the others which are just as good but don’t look as pretty.

if you have a long drive and wear Gucci belts, this is the charger for you :p

Back
Top Bottom