The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Soldato
Just been looking through my random whisky collection (mostly gifts I've never got around to opening) and found this 18-year-old Glenmorangie. Worth keeping for a special occasion, or just get it drunk? I'm assuming it's a bit more expensive than the £25/bottle I'd usually be spending?

tt2e716.jpg
That's an older version of the 18, the new 18 looks a bit chintzy to me. Yours I'd guess it's 90's?
The value of yours is likely in that - if you can find a year of bottling then it's the kind of thing people buy for people born in that year. It won't be a fortune, but yes it'll be more than the standard Glenmorangie (a very fine drop regardless) but might not be more than the current 18. It all depends on the year and the condition.
Could contact one of the whisky auction houses to see.

Soldato
Thanks for the reply.

It does appear to match what The Whiskey Exchange is trying to sell for £250+ as what was bottled in the 1990s.

I'd be surprised if it was that old, I'd have received it maybe 10/12 years ago at most. It did come from my mother-in-law who used to work in Sainsbury's Wines and Spirits. She is a bit of a border and may have had it stashed away for a few years.

I'll keep it safe and unopened for the moment and stick to drinking JW Black Label or J&B.

Soldato
Thanks for the reply.

It does appear to match what The Whiskey Exchange is trying to sell for £250+ as what was bottled in the 1990s.

I'd be surprised if it was that old, I'd have received it maybe 10/12 years ago at most. It did come from my mother-in-law who used to work in Sainsbury's Wines and Spirits. She is a bit of a border and may have had it stashed away for a few years.

I'll keep it safe and unopened for the moment and stick to drinking JW Black Label or J&B.

Have you checked auction sites to see how much others have sold for?

Whisky can be a great investment...

Soldato
I didn't even realise it might be even a little bit special until this evening.

Because of where the MIL worked I've ended up with quite a few bottles of 10/12 year single malt (£25/30) as Christmas presents which I've never opened. Lurking in with them was this single slightly more exotic bottle.

I'll keep it safe and try to avoid drinking it with coke. :D

Soldato
I didn't even realise it might be even a little bit special until this evening.

Because of where the MIL worked I've ended up with quite a few bottles of 10/12 year single malt (£25/30) as Christmas presents which I've never opened. Lurking in with them was this single slightly more exotic bottle.

I'll keep it safe and try to avoid drinking it with coke. :D

Even a 10 YO whisky could be worth something - it would be 10 years old at the point of bottling and if it's a few decades old it possibly doesn't taste much like the newer equivalents. It's not too hard to spot - generally the labels get a refresh every now and then. A quick Google image search should help identify when your bottles are from.

If you want to know the value of your collection you might need to do some research to identify the age of each bottle and keep a record of current/historic completed auction values.

Soldato
One sold here for 250 in March last year.

Glenmorangie 18 Year Old 1990s Auction A15020 | The Whisky Shop Auctions

I would say the liquid inside is almost definitely not worth that to drink. I'm sure if you sold it for 250 you could find 3 bottles that were just as nice if not better to drink. Never tried it myself so only speculating, but that's my take.

edit: just found another bottle in a current auction, so you could watch that and see how it does
Glenmorangie 18 Year Old Old Style | The 126th Auction | Scotch Whisky Auctions

Soldato
Having done a small amount of research into the code that's printed on the bottle, my example appears to be from the backend of 2006. I can't see anyone wanting to pay money for it even if I did want to sell it. It can stay in the back of its cupboard for a few more years while I drink its younger cousins.

Soldato
Apparently Master of Malt had some Springbank 10 in stock yesterday. I politely told my girlfriend :)D) but later that evening she said it was all sold out. Meh :(

Soldato
I've seen Springbank 10 in stock a few places, nowhere near as hard to find as the 12 CS or 15, 18 etc.

Springbank 10 Year Old Single Malt | Roberts & Speight Wine Merchants & Delicatessen (robertsandspeight.co.uk)

If you've not tried it, Kilkerran 12 is in and out of stock sometimes but good price here

Kilkerran 12 Year Old Scotch Whisky : The Whisky Exchange

I just cracked my bottle of Springbank 10 the other night - my first ever Springbank taste actually - and I wasn't too fussed. Hoping it's just because it's the neck pour, will keep working at it.

Got it for 43 quid retail.

Soldato
Apparently Master of Malt had some Springbank 10 in stock yesterday. I politely told my girlfriend :)D) but later that evening she said it was all sold out. Meh :(
you need to do what we do here - just buy it and tell the other half what they got you.

Soldato
Anyone had the Gledfiddich IPA cask?

I've never been a big Gledfiddich fan, but curious about trying this.

Or buy, it and then tell them too so you have 2 bottles?
2 bottles, one hidden. So long as she doesn't notice the swap then it might just work. It depends if your wife came with the 6th-sense telepathy option ;)

The IPA cask is ok. Not amazing, not bad, just ok to me. I couldn't really find the extra pizazz in it. Having tried a lof of their range if you want a novel Glenfiddich and like a peaty twist I would go Fire & Cane for affordable. For a bit more money the 18yo can be really good, quite chocolate-malty when you get a good one (I've had one bottle that was a bit "flat" taste wise), or for more money the Discovery Bourbon cask if you like firey pep which is 19yo I think (there are different discovery editions, I thought the blue bourbon cask was the best to my liking. The 15yo Solera is a good peppery/spicey bourbon cask infused hit too.

The only Glenfiddich I'd say make sure you taste before buying is their Vintage edition which is meant to be peaty but to my palate tasted fishy. I was very disappointed with that one.

Soldato
@ik9000 Got myself a few bottles recently. Knob Creek 9,Nikka from the Barrel and Buffalo Trace Kosker Wheat. Nikka from the Barrel,was surprising light on the palate.

If they want Japanese then +1 to the Nokia Coffey. Delicious. I got given a sample a while back and it went down very nicely. That and a Hudson Manhattan Rye. Hmm I'm still on my buying ban which is just as well or I'd be searching out one of those!

A mate bought a bottle of the Nikka Coffey Grain and it was lovely - also had Hibiki 12 which was even better,but is over £100 now! :(

Last edited:
Soldato

I wonder if Nikka will follow suite?

Edit!!

Suntory owns many other brands such as Jim Beam,Makers Mark,Knob Creek,Basil Hayden's,Bookers,Laphroaig, Bowmore, Ardmore, Auchentoshan,etc

Caporegime
Nice collection! Only had Hibiki before - sadly never got a chance to try The Yamazaki 12! :(

Someone in the States told me Yamazaki 12 is $200 plus over there online and that’s not including taxes or shipping. Locally in a store it can be as much as $300!

I will also pick up Nikka 12 before April too, for comparison to the Yamazaki.

Back
Top Bottom