Are any of you noticing a fuel economy impact running E10?

Soldato
But all that is different is 3% energy loss, no?

Derp.

That's the main difference, yes. The octane being the other.

Are you claiming that it's the octane difference making up most of the 20% then and not the difference in ethanol quantity?

Permabanned
Besides, I haven't mentioned lab results, i'm asking you to provide some sort of logic to explain how 2 or 3% less energy results in 20% less economy. Can you?

Because my engine doesn't like it, as experienced with the misfiring.
If you want me provide science I cannot do that, only anecdotal, and you can take that for what you will, and ignore it.

That's absolutely your choice. But disregarding what I say because it doesn't fit in line with your understanding that has been made from skewed data, isn't accurate or logical.

Derp.

Soldato
36mpg -> 28mpg
Car: Vauxhall Astra 1.4T 150 Auto (16 plate)

First ~15k miles of ownership: 36mpg
~250 miles since my first E10 fill up: 28mpg

Pretty big difference, wonder if it's worth getting premium fuel.

Hard to see how this is environmentally worthwhile either, which was meant to be the point of it.

Underboss
36mpg -> 28mpg
Car: Vauxhall Astra 1.4T 150 Auto

First ~15k miles of ownership: 36mpg
~250 miles since my first E10 fill up: 28mpg

Pretty big difference, wonder if it's worth getting premium fuel.

Hard to see how this is environmentally worthwhile either, which was meant to be the point of it.

i think it is, as its degrading your engine and parts etc (maybe)

Soldato
I'm claiming my average MPG went from 24 to 18 over the course of 2 tanks.
Going to 98 RON my MPG returned to 24.

Derp.

That's fine, but its largely irrelevant to the question posed. OP has asked if anyone has noticed less economy using E10 as opposed to E5.
You claimed you had, to the point that it's a "night and day" difference....yet it turns out you were comparing 95RON E10 with premium 98RON E5 - which is often better for economy anyway (in engines that can take advantage of it, which I'm guess a 2.0 TFSI probably could).

What were you saying about skewed data?

That's absolutely your choice. But disregarding what I say because it doesn't fit in line with your understanding that has been made from skewed data, isn't accurate or logical.

Derp.

Soldato
lol what's your problem, it's perfectly valid. if you have nothing helpful to say just go away.

My problem is it isn't valid. Did you skip science lessons at school? One 250 mile tank isn't in similar conditions to the 15k over 3 years. Another 15k of similar motoring over 3 years would be. The data is too variable. Fuel consumption increases in the winter for a number of reasons.

Obligatory lol.

Soldato
lol what's your problem, it's perfectly valid. if you have nothing helpful to say just go away.
To be honest the data sets are too varied to compare. If you were comparing 250 miles in December from 3 years ago with 250 miles from December this year then the comparison would be more relevant. Even then though I'd say that one tank isn't enough of a sample rate.

I'd be pretty confident saying that given 6 months and a few thousand miles that 8 MPG difference will have shrunk dramatically. Give it another 3 years and another 15k and the difference will be negligible.

Soldato
pretty dumb to think you can't compare 250 miles in average uk weather with 15k over years which by definition is also average uk weather. weird argumentative subforum people, as you were, I'll just ask the manufacturer instead.

Soldato
It's a thread about an issue that affects a lot of people. So people come here and contribute, but get attacked, so get mad in return. The issue is you guys being rude to people who don't frequent this subforum. Be nice and there's no issue.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
but get attacked, so get mad in return
I haven't seen anyone attacked. I've seen people unable to respond factually to doubts raised, but you are correct about people getting mad in return when unable to justify claims further. Perhaps they need to learn how to respond appropriately as opposed to throwing handbags...?

Back
Top Bottom