• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel A380 leaked

Caporegime
The hope with Intel's releases/a new player coming to the market, is that they will have to be priced competitively to gain market share/market recognition.

When you think GPU, you think Geforce or Radeon. Intel will need to try everything they can to make a mark in the GPU world.

If they release something that is boring performance wise, boring price wise, and dodgy driver wise, they will simply fail.

Soldato
The hope with Intel's releases/a new player coming to the market, is that they will have to be priced competitively to gain market share/market recognition.

When you think GPU, you think Geforce or Radeon. Intel will need to try everything they can to make a mark in the GPU world.

If they release something that is boring performance wise, boring price wise, and dodgy driver wise, they will simply fail.

The boring part is totally subjectable. Boring how? like, not a 450w storage heater?

You need to remember, PC gaming is now the dominant gaming platform. Most play games with their friends, rather than cranking settings on a single player game. PUBG was still Steam's second most popular game of 2021. For that? you don't need exciting. You just need a method of play. Which right now? we don't even have. I've seen 8gb 580s making £400 FFS. That's ridiculous. People are even offloading those awful Vega cards for far too much. I remember when you could get a Vega 56 for sub £300.

The big high end cards make up a tiny portion of reality. TBH? I think if Intel tried to be more exciting? they would fail. Like, running before you can walk and all that. Sure, as a high end enthusiast you may see this as "boring" but who would you prefer they BETA test on? people paying £1000? or people playing Fortnite? I know the answer to that one :D

Plus you must remember at all times - this is Intel. Not some startup "gofundme" person. They have a staggering amount of money (even after being a bit crap for 3 years, you would be amazed) and they don't do things by halves. It will be their marketing machine that steamrolls AMD and makes Nvidia very sweaty. I hope for Nvidia's sake (well no, I don't, I wish they would die in a fire (company, not people) that they get ARM. Because if they don't? I reckon Intel would pound them out of the market also.

Intel's ace up the sleeve has always been OEMs like Dell, Alienware, HP and so on. They ship more parts to them than any one else. More CPUs, more "APUs" if you could call them that and so on. Who do you think they will pick when Intel comes along and says "Hey guys, we got laptop GPU chips and discrete GPUS !"?

Hint. It certainly won't be AMD. And, I doubt it would be Nvidia too.

Soldato
True. This situation isn't going to last forever though.

Oh I totally agree with that too. They do need to be competitive. However, that has always been Intel's strong suit. AMD? hahaha, yeah right. Ryzen has changed that, and they did get lucky with the big Navi because Intel cheaped out, but they have never really pushed their GPU side hard. It's always just been a bit of a wet fart.

And, they followed through with Navi. Really followed through. Taking the pee for what they are selling is an understatement. This new 6500 thing? is a bloody insult. X4 lmao. And it costs as much as a 5700 cost ages ago and doesn't even come close.

That is where Intel can really, really hurt both AMD and Nvidia. And, I have no doubt they will. AMD still sell a pittance of GPUs, even now, when compared to Nvidia. And that is because of Nvidia's hype machine and marketing. Don't expect Intel to quietly tell you there are new GPUs coming out and ETC.

Just be patient. I mean, ignore them for now if you want. Rome wasn't built in a day. Look how long it took AMD to get Ryzen into a product after Jim Keller left. That said, a start is a start and they are choosing their best time to start. Now.

Also. I am not 100% sure on who will be actually making these wafers but I am pretty certain Intel have their own fab. Which is why they will absolutely destroy AMD, because they have to wait on TSMC and they are not top of the list. Which is why Nvidia went to Samsung, and we all know how that went.

If Intel can actually make these themselves? or, make them with the new plants I heard they are opening? it's game over for RTG. Nvidia may hang in there, but they won't have the luxury of a 60% margin any more like they have been for the past three or four years (greed), and will have to be a bit more realistic.

Which no matter which way you shake it? will be good news for every one. Even during the huge gouge last year on AMD CPUs the Intel ones were still at normal prices. And, they have been able to provide them right at launch too, for a decent price (12700KF owner here, £360 which I thought was great). And that was with them flooding the OEMs with those parts too, which will have been more GPUs than AMD or Nvidia could ever make.

The competitive part? comes later. When Raja walked into AMD they were in a right old mess. Polaris was exceptional. OK, maybe not very "exciting" but man, that was a great tech at a fantastic price. Only imagine if they had the marketing machine to have really sold tons upon tons of them?

Soldato
Its like someone said for Intel its the perfect time if Nvidia can get away with releasing the 2060 then Intel can bring out something with 1650 performance and provided they have the quantities it will sell out easily.

I'd really like to see both AMD and Nvidia given a real shock.

Dont think it will happen though. The shock would only be if they had 500,000 units for the UK market so they stayed in stock longer than 24hrs.

Soldato
Its like someone said for Intel its the perfect time if Nvidia can get away with releasing the 2060 then Intel can bring out something with 1650 performance and provided they have the quantities it will sell out easily.

Dont think it will happen though. The shock would only be if they had 500,000 units for the UK market so they stayed in stock longer than 24hrs.

It's not about "getting away" with it. Most people don't buy high end cards. Those wanting the 2060? were people with like, 960s and 1060s. They didn't want to pay Turing prices, so they waited for the 3060. They were supposed to be faster and cheaper. Remember? only that didn't happen. Then mining happened and then the 2060 cost a fortune. In fact, Nvidia sold so many 3060s to miners they even relaunched (quietly) the 2060 Super. Only it cost the same as a 3060.

Hardly any one buys top end cards. You see a lot of it here. Of course you will, this is a forum where people buy top end hardware and come here to share it. That is not how the outside world works, though. The cards needed right now (not wanted, needed) are cards like the 3060. Those are the ones most people use. Not here maybe, but that is what is happening in the world. A mate of mine built a PC over a year ago and still doesn't have a GPU for it. He was hoping to get a 3060Ti, but is refusing to pay £700+ for one and I don't blame him. Realistically? he will probably get something similar when it costs what it should.

One of my friends uses a Vega 56 he bought ages ago for £300 from here, the other just upgraded from a 970 to a 980Ti he picked up cheap with no cooler on. I donated him my 1080Ti cooler I had that I was going to hack up for an AIO but never did, and another friend of ours machined off the posts that stopped it fitting. The guy who did that? is using a 760 BTW.

So I am one out of 5 of us who has a 2080Ti. Probably because I am the daftest, but I do like my eye candy.

If these cards can't mine or are crap at it? there should be plenty to go around. There seems to be plenty of stock of AMD cards on here right now. Problem is they are still a total rip off when it comes to prices. I'm not pointing any fingers, and I really don't know exactly who is to blame for that, but when Nvidia launched Ampere all of the OEMs like MSI and etc were whining that Nvidia had taken all of the profit from them by announcing those prices. Meaning the issue lies between AMD/Nvidia and outlets selling them.

I would also strongly imagine that if Intel set an RRP? they will make their OEMs stick to it. Last thing you want is your OEMs making you look bad. The thing is, right now? AMD and Nvidia don't care. There are multiple reasons why they don't care, but the biggest one of all is that when mining stops the market will be absolutely flooded with second hand cards. Not just like, older ones that people are taking the pee with right now, but all of these Ampere and big Navi cards no one can get. Which means people will be competing to sell them, or lose big time, meaning they will be cheap AF. It will be a buyer's market, just like that time I paid £210 for a Vega 64 Devil card on here the last time it died.

When mining stops being profitable people will lose serious money. If they don't sell up, that is. Who would want to hold onto a card you paid 3x the retail value of whilst it drops like a stone?

A lot of this reminds me of Ryzen. And the build up to Ryzen. It's amazing just how much perceptions have changed since then. "AMD can't do it, it's going to be crap !" and etc. Only this isn't AMD it's Intel. Who are many times bigger. I mean crap, even AMD can make a competing GPU. Nothing really wrong with the 6000 series apart from the stupid prices. But Intel? will slap them silly. If they wanted to? Intel could sell at a 5% margin just to eat up the market share. They can afford to do that. And if you cast your mind back? when Ryzen launched it was dirt cheap. It had to be. Now? LOL AMD being all greedy and stuff.

Soldato
The most important question about the Intel GPUs is "can it mine efficiently?". If they're good miners then Intel will have no problem shifting however many they can make at whatever price they want, at the expense of individual PC owners being able to get one for a reasonable price. If not, then mid-budget PC gamers might actually be in luck.

Man of Honour
The power side has nothing to do with support. It all depends how closely they resemble the onboard. What I mean is, if they are the same technology and work the same adding more cores and more power to the card shouldn't make a huge difference. Like, a 3060 and a 3090ti use the same driver and work on the same principle.
RTX3060 annihilates anything Intel have put out to date though. A RTX3060 to RTX3090 is architecturally massively closer than an Intel HD graphics to RTX3070-competitor. In terms of analogy it's more like imagine AMD hadn't merged with ATI and had never released any discrete GPUs and never been in a position where they had to have a driver team working round the clock to compete with Nvidia on new releases. Then all of a sudden they are thrown in at the deep end and expected to be mixing it with a RTX3070 with a fully mature and optimised driver due the competition with AMD.

People expect onboard GPUs to be rubbish so you can get away with phoning in a driver so long as it is stable. You can't get away with that on discrete GPUs costing $500+, you will get torn to shreds in reviews if benchmark numbers aren't competitive, unless you go the Matrox route and focus on 2d quality, supporting more monitor or adding unique new features.

Soldato
Also. I am not 100% sure on who will be actually making these wafers but I am pretty certain Intel have their own fab. Which is why they will absolutely destroy AMD, because they have to wait on TSMC and they are not top of the list. Which is why Nvidia went to Samsung, and we all know how that went.

If Intel can actually make these themselves? or, make them with the new plants I heard they are opening? it's game over for RTG. Nvidia may hang in there, but they won't have the luxury of a 60% margin any more like they have been for the past three or four years (greed), and will have to be a bit more realistic.

TSMC is making intels gpus this time 100%, when they get their new fabs up all bets are off for TSMC then, but depends what nodes and fab process they will use in their new fabs too as not all nodes and type of node used can be used for gpus or cpus, people seem to get a little confused about that too, wondering why gpus and cpus are not on 3nm for example while apple are using 3nm, because these large chips on 3nm can't be used for cpus or gpus for desktops/servers yet, for small chips with low power devices like phones/tablets they can be used.

Also how long till they get these fabs up ? fabs take 5+ years to get built and working right. So maybe a good while yet before we see intel make gpus in house.

Last edited:
Associate
A lot of this reminds me of Ryzen. And the build up to Ryzen. It's amazing just how much perceptions have changed since then. "AMD can't do it, it's going to be crap !" and etc. Only this isn't AMD it's Intel. Who are many times bigger. I mean crap, even AMD can make a competing GPU. Nothing really wrong with the 6000 series apart from the stupid prices. But Intel? will slap them silly. If they wanted to? Intel could sell at a 5% margin just to eat up the market share. They can afford to do that. And if you cast your mind back? when Ryzen launched it was dirt cheap. It had to be. Now? LOL AMD being all greedy and stuff.

I think we can bet money on intel flooding the market starting at system builders despite what people on here think the vasy majority of people do not build a pc

they just buy a pre-built system and spec it

short term it benifits intel to sell at break even prices to grab a market share and over the next few years they can run at a small profit

Soldato
It's not about "getting away" with it. Most people don't buy high end cards. Those wanting the 2060? were people with like, 960s and 1060s. They didn't want to pay Turing prices, so they waited for the 3060.

I was on about the 2060 being released now. The 3060 was out before the 2060 released this year. Nobody "wanted" it but Nvidia can do it and have and got away with it. Still cant buy it. Its just more blatant. In olden times they would rebadge a graphics card and call it something else, now they just dig up an old one and pretend to release it.

Soldato
Most people just need a 1080p capable card at £200 or less, so this could fit the bill.

If Intel prioritise this for system builders, it will help a lot with the scalping situation.

Soldato
Most people just need a 1080p capable card at £200 or less, so this could fit the bill.

If Intel prioritise this for system builders, it will help a lot with the scalping situation.

It's not going to be £200 though (6500XT), it will start at £275 and really be priced after the hour sales to £350+. It's all got really silly regarding everything now.

April they are now saying electric and gas will be 57% increase too. The world has gone nuts and while all these things are happening companies are breaking records in earnings.. Something is way off now.. This government needs to go and some normality put back in place. It's become nothing but greed and scamming the general public. Inflation is one thing, but these record increases in prices are not matching inflation, inflation is not at 250-300% it's 3.5% and by April 6% they are saying.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was on about the 2060 being released now. The 3060 was out before the 2060 released this year. Nobody "wanted" it but Nvidia can do it and have and got away with it. Still cant buy it. Its just more blatant. In olden times they would rebadge a graphics card and call it something else, now they just dig up an old one and pretend to release it.

Actually a few of my friends got quite excited at the announcement. I did warn them that it would basically cost the same as a 3060, though. And it did. It was clearly just to get more cards sold for profit to miners.

Soldato
TSMC is making intels gpus this time 100%, when they get their new fabs up all bets are off for TSMC then, but depends what nodes and fab process they will use in their new fabs too as not all nodes and type of node used can be used for gpus or cpus, people seem to get a little confused about that too, wondering why gpus and cpus are not on 3nm for example while apple are using 3nm, because these large chips on 3nm can't be used for cpus or gpus for desktops/servers yet, for small chips with low power devices like phones/tablets they can be used.

Also how long till they get these fabs up ? fabs take 5+ years to get built and working right. So maybe a good while yet before we see intel make gpus in house.

2025 for the U.S fabs IIRC.

I bet Intel are kicking themselves for closing fabs right now........

Back
Top Bottom