• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Soldato
The FE isn’t the reference model, it’s Nvidia’s own design that only they can use.

The reference design is supplied by Nvidia and can be used by any AIB, it’s the standard board that third parties work to do they can get cards out on launch day.

Soldato
Totally!
What really stinks is AIB's using the cheap reference design PCB, and charging marked up scaler prices for them.

By a country mile, the FE cards are much better than the reference design, even if you pay a scalped price for one! But the best thing is, still being able to buy a FE card at 2020's msrp.

Associate
Because of the fan issues I have, I'm probably going to sell my 3080 FE too. I've been slowly hopping up the 30XX series so I might be able to get a free upgrade to a 3080 12GB or even 3080 Ti.

My free upgrade history has basically been (price paid / price sold):
Red Dragon 5700 XT (£360/£460) -> 3070 FE (£469/£660) -> EVGA 3070 XC3 (non-LHR) (£600/£800???) -> 3080 FE (£660/£1000-1500?????) -> ??????

Soldato
Because of the fan issues I have, I'm probably going to sell my 3080 FE too. I've been slowly hopping up the 30XX series so I might be able to get a free upgrade to a 3080 12GB or even 3080 Ti.

My free upgrade history has basically been (price paid / price sold):
Red Dragon 5700 XT (£360/£460) -> 3070 FE (£469/£660) -> EVGA 3070 XC3 (non-LHR) (£600/£800???) -> 3080 FE (£660/£1000-1500?????) -> ??????

not far off from me :)

5700 xt > 3060 ti FE > 3070 > 3080 FE > 6900XT

Caporegime
They’d go out of business using Nvidia’s design and retailing it for £650 due to how much Nvidia charge for the die and ram and everything else.

I dont believe this to be the case for a second. Stop falling for marketing and lies. You and I are all getting ripped off and some people are getting very rich off of it.

Associate
How's this for coil whine?

How bad is this in others' opinions? The noise isn't being picked up that well, IRL it's about that loud with the case closed.

Difficult to hear it on the video. So that might suggest its on the 'better' side of things?
The 3090fe I RMA'ed for coil-whine could be clearly heard on video.

I can vouch for the nvidia RMA process being very smooth and easy if you want to try your luck. The replacement card I got has ever-so-slightly less coil-whine...
Bigger "win" for me is that it also seems to have better thermal pads, as the VRAM temps are lower than even my re-padded card where.

It does seem however, that virtually every 3090FE has some coil-whine... I have heard people say they dont get it, but it seems to be a minority.
Could also depend on your own age / hearing, some folks might simply not be able to hear it well.

Associate
i heard it i must admit. It did sound quite loud. Is your FPS capped? As it doesn't sound like it when you're in the pause menu as it sounds worse because the FPS rockets.
Yep, I've got a frame rate cap. The sound is quieter when the game is paused, louder when unpaused. It seems to be related to load more than framerate.

I feel like with regards to coil whine, the first thing you should try is undervolting the card; I personally find it can remedy the issue significantly.
Undervolted and it helps a bit: slightly quieter with a lower pitch. But even at 1200 MHz with low volts it's still buzzing like an adult novelty toy.

Back
Top Bottom