Can I reject my Car

Soldato
Hi all,

In November 2019 I took receipt of my new car from Lex Autolease.

Its effectively a company car organised through my employer who use lex exclusively for their staff cars.

Its a VW Passat Estate R-Line with a few optional extras including larger 19” alloys, Lapiz blue paint and a few other bits.

The engine is the 1.5 Tsi Evo with the 7 speed dsg.

The problems started about a month after ownership.

Cars these days are basically big computers and it seems the one in mine was pretty poorly from day one.

the software for the infotainment was knackered. The screen would lock up regularly, not turn on at all, the sat nav simply wouldn’t work and the radar cruise system regularly reported faults and issues.

the car would also sometimes activate the emergency breaking system even when there was nothing in front of me making the driving experience quite scary sometimes.

So, in it went to VW Weybridge who said it needed a load of software updates which were carried out. A day later I picked the car up from them thinking all would be alright.

Same issues persisted if not worse….. much worse.

So I Took it back, they kept it for two days and then said it was a ‘software issue’ that needed a patch by VW uk and that I would just have to live with it for now.

By this point I was bored and just gave up. I had been in so many courtesy cars and wasted so much time I just ran out of will power.

Over the next year the issues got worse, a speaker blew and the infotainment was all over the shop.

to make things worse, the gear box stared making some unusual noises when changing from 3-4 - like a whining noise and what was worse still, when pulling away up hill from a standing start the engine would clatter and the car would judder. It was horrible.

Eventually it got so bad I sent it in to my more local VW garage in early November 2021 where it STILL remains.

The list of warranty work the mechanics discovered that was required to the car (at less than 20,000 miles) was extensive but the highlights were:

New discs, callipers etc to the front due to warping as a result of a fault with initial manufacture

two blown speakers in the front passenger side door

an entirely new engine management module

An entirely new suite of cameras to the front

an entirely new radar system

extensive software fixes for the infotainment and associated systems

and…….. a complete removal and replacement of the entire gear box as the original was completely knackered and was shedding metal into the sump.

There were other things but I’ll be here all day typing this.

the car developed a litany of serious issues in such a short time that even the master technician at VW (a lovely bloke who knows his stuff) has never seen anything like it.

The VW garage I’m dealing with have been really great - lovely staff, lots of updates and helpful advice. But their hands are tied. As soon as they have the parts they have fitted them including the new gear box etc.

the issue is the computer module that goes in the glove box. It’s the cars brain and without it, the car isn’t going anywhere.

It was supposed to arrive from VW Germany on the 15th December but has been put back and back continuously.

Currently the date is the 2nd Feb but I fully expect this to be put back yet again.

I’m genuinely beginning to lose my rag- not with the staff or the garage - it’s not their fault - but with the ‘situation’.

I can’t shout at VW in Germany because I don’t speak German, don’t even know who to contact and frankly don’t think it will make any difference. The delays are probably as a result of the chip shortage world wide.

So, when I do eventually get the car back, if there are still any issues do I have any rights to say ‘enough - I don’t want this car anymore’?

I assume I would need to reject it through Lex but do I have any rights on that front?

The whole thing is frustrating and I’ve lost all confidence in the car.

I just want rid and will go for a 5 series next. Which will probably explode.

Soldato
OP
Rejecting it 2 years down the line will be a tough ask.

FWIW shouting at germany wont help, the shortages are creating havoc, leadtimes are crazy. New cars are even coming with half the advertised specs at the moment.

this is my fear.

I’m stuck aren’t I?

Associate
Probably. Speak to Lex. It’s not your car but theirs as I’m assuming it is leased. They may have an opinion about it and give you something else and then get it back whenever. Your company is paying Lex for use of the car that can’t be used. That is your contract and who you should be dealing with. Make them pick up the problem with VW.

Man of Honour
I understand how you feel and I would be sick and fed up as well but surely when you eventually get the car back it will be as good as new again with all faults fixed so why go through all the hassle trying to reject a 2 year old car (probably not going to happen)? This chip shortage is affecting all manufacturers and waiting times for new cars are increasing all the time so you may just end up going from one bad situation to another and even maybe having no car at all. There is another factor as well, as Shadowman says, shouldn't the leasing company be sorting this out?

Associate
Personally, I would have been worried about my safety long before now and insisted my employer provide another car. Work and driving are stressful enough without having to drive a vehicle that you don't trust.

Soldato
Thanks for the advice guys.

I think you are right - I’m going to get on to lex

Having had dealing with Lex in the past make sure you use their complaints process if you need to, they are very good at resolving cases in a reasonable amount of time. I suggest you speak with someone first, and send them a well detailed and fully bullet pointed e-mail about all the issues previous and on-going and ask them for a response deadline, and written confirmation of the e-mail/complaint. Also give them details of the VW garage it has been taken too, and if you are required, get copies of all the service/work reports from the garage to forward to them.

Soldato
Has the loaner been satisfactory .. if not (if it was yourself in chip shortage thread - you said it hadn't) I take that up with lease co too,
decent loaner can salve your annoyance.

Soldato
OP
Has the loaner been satisfactory .. if not (if it was yourself in chip shortage thread - you said it hadn't) I take that up with lease co too,
decent loaner can salve your annoyance.

yes sadly the loan car, which itself is a bog standard Passat estate, whilst functional, requires extensive software updates before I can use sat nav or apple car play. Only the radio works.

I rely on sat nav for my job but VW say they would need to book it in as a repair for the whole day to update the software!!!
Aaarrrgggghhh!!!!

Caporegime
I can only sympathise, my BMW 440i has been at BMW Crewe since October waiting on a new headunit. On the bright side I’ve put loads of miles and charge cycles into an X1 xDrive25e which has been incredibly cheap to run for my usage pattern. On the downside I’ve been driving an X1.

The real annoyance for me is that I own the car outright and have no-one to lean on for resolution or alternatives. I’m ready to move the car on (not because of anything wrong with the 440i, just that I wanted something else) and am currently in limbo waiting on getting the car back. I could have sold it to WBAC when I first enquired about it’s replacement in November and would have netter £22k. Now it’s valued at £19k, and really I shouldn’t be expected to swallow that £3k loss as the whole debacle hasn’t been my own doing.

Soldato
OP
I can only sympathise, my BMW 440i has been at BMW Crewe since October waiting on a new headunit. On the bright side I’ve put loads of miles and charge cycles into an X1 xDrive25e which has been incredibly cheap to run for my usage pattern. On the downside I’ve been driving an X1.

The real annoyance for me is that I own the car outright and have no-one to lean on for resolution or alternatives. I’m ready to move the car on (not because of anything wrong with the 440i, just that I wanted something else) and am currently in limbo waiting on getting the car back. I could have sold it to WBAC when I first enquired about it’s replacement in November and would have netter £22k. Now it’s valued at £19k, and really I shouldn’t be expected to swallow that £3k loss as the whole debacle hasn’t been my own doing.

christ that’s bad.

I feel stuck and the lack of control I have over the situation is the worst part

Caporegime
Absolutely speak to Lex and see if they have any suggestions. They own the car and you’ve been paying them not VW. See if they can apply any pressure on VW. I’d also enquire with them about returning the car or seeing if they can swap it for something similar.

just goes to show that VW’s are no more reliable, and in fact may be worse than many other brands, they just spend a shedload on marketing that they’re reliable because they’re German.

Soldato
OP
Absolutely speak to Lex and see if they have any suggestions. They own the car and you’ve been paying them not VW. See if they can apply any pressure on VW. I’d also enquire with them about returning the car or seeing if they can swap it for something similar.

just goes to show that VW’s are no more reliable, and in fact may be worse than many other brands, they just spend a shedload on marketing that they’re reliable because they’re German.

completely agree - I just can’t bring myself to go Japanese or Korean though - a mixture of badge snobbery and crappy interiors when compared to say the Audis and BMW’s of this world

Soldato
curious on dsg failure - didn't know passat/octavias 1.5's and 2.0's may have fundamentally different gearboxes - I thought sealed for life/dry were out, across the industry, presumably that limits any re-mapping folks could apply

DQ200 is a seven speed transverse DSG with a dry clutch pack used in all five brands. The gearbox code in the diagnostic log shows 0AM and or 0CW. This gearbox does not have a service requirement as it is sealed for life. It's fittted to 1.0 litre to 1.8 litre petrol and diesel engines and has a torque capacity of 250Nm. Very high failure rate.

DQ400 is a six speed transverse DSG with a wet clutch pack and is used in the Volkswagen Golf Hybrid and Passat GTE and also Audi A3 e-tron. The gearbox code in the diagnostic log shows 0DD. It also has a service requirement of 40,000 miles. Generally reliable.

DQ250 is a six speed transverse DSG with a wet clutch pack. The gearbox code in the diagnostic log shows 02E and or 0D9. This also has a service requirement of 40,000 miles and a torque capacity 350Nm. Fitted to 2.0 litre petrol and diesel engines. Generally reliable.

DQ381 is a seven speed transverse DSG with a wet clutch pack and torque capacity of 420-430Nm. Fitted to 2.0 TSI petrol engines. Generally reliable.

Back
Top Bottom