Thoughts on the Fiat 500X

Soldato
So, the Wife is looking for a replacement for the trusty Golf. She wants an SUV style vehicle, for no other reason that it looks good. Qashqui, Tucson, Sportage, all been looked at. However on browsing she noticed a Fiat 500X, which ticks all the boxes and I was surprised how nice it was considering the price point!

So the question is, anyone on here had one? We are looking at buying the 500X Cross.

Please do not suggest Range Rovers and other expensive vehicles. My wife would literally not care about the quality of the interior as much as I would and its not my car, so I would be wasting money!

Associate
Try a Vitara. You might be surprised. Best looking of the lot in the right colour (IMO), cheap, won't break, and the top of the range model has everything you could ever want. The Boosterjet engine is a cracker, especially if you go for the 1.4.

Soldato
SUV-wise I quite like the look of the new Ford Puma. VW T-Roc might be worth a look as well. New Nissan Juke looks nice. Or maybe a Toyota CRV?

I think the 500x looks hideous but eye of the beholder and all that. The fact it’s a Fiat (General Motors) car would put me off as well as they aren’t known for their quality or reliability.

Soldato
These "crossover" things are all pretty terrible. It's a car, but compromised in every way.

Having owned a Fiat for a while as a daily. As I explained in another thread, they are fine but not the most robust cars on the market. Expect things to break. Better off buying a previous gen Citroen Cactus, then at least it will have a nice ride quality, fairly reliable and they are cheap (and £0 tax).

Last edited:
Soldato
These "crossover" things are all pretty terrible. It's a car, but compromised in every way.

Having owned a Fiat for a while as a daily. As I explained in another thread, they are fine but not the most robust cars on the market. Expect things to break. Better off buying a previous gen Citroen Cactus, then at least it will have a nice ride quality, fairly reliable and they are cheap (and £0 tax).

Agree.

Soldato
The 500X is small inside, but not altogether terrible places to spend time. If you like the look of it (or your significant other does) then why not? All these small crossovers are basically just boxes on wheels. Small engines, measly performance, not particularly rewarding to drive, but they’re in fashion.

I quite like our Sportage, but in the sense that I don’t mind if it picks up a trolley ding or the air vents are jammed with haribo. It’s about a foot too small in every dimension on the inside and isn’t very refined. The clear choice would be a newer golf or a focus, but I’m in the same boat that estates or hatchbacks aren’t favoured.

I’m slightly ashamed to say that I like the look of the new Tucson, but it’s going to be exactly the same as our Sportage.

Soldato

In the nicest way possible, what you think is irrelevant.

Sales tell different stories, with even Maccan and Cayennes saving Porsche in the last few years due to their strong sales.

I understand the preference for SUVs, personally - it’s great being high up.

Sure, everything else might be worse, but you’re higher up and you feel safer, regardless of whether you are.

This is why they sell well - it’s emotion that’s driving sales, not logic. It’s a MUCH stronger driver (excuse the pun)

Anyhow, OP - 500X would be at the bottom of the list for me on SUVs. I’d go something German or Japanese.

Soldato
We used to have a fiat 500 and to date is still one of the best cars the wife had owned. We bought it from new and never had any issues.

We looked at the X when it came out and really liked it however was too small for the needs.

I don't see any reason why your wife couldn't go for it.

We have owned a Qashqai and wouldn't personally have one again. We owned it for 6 years and I just never got on with it. Whilst nothing horribly went wrong with it I just could t gel with it. The ride height was great but I never got comfy in it and even compared to the fiat 500 found the interior very cheap.

Soldato
OP
She previously owned a Qashqui, but I fail to see how it commands the price difference at the moment compared to the 500x.

We was looking at a second hand 500x, but with the 0% Finance offer, it makes sense just to buy a new one. I have had a chat with her and thats the plan by the looks of it!

Back
Top Bottom