*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
So what product/brand is a good alternative to dream machine se.
I was all set on the dream machine Pro, but the QNAP 1600p and 1602p has caught my attention.
Especially the 1602p with 2.5gig switch, Nas built in, much faster, more camera options. Yeah it's more money but the 1600p compares well.

Permabanned
I was all set on the dream machine Pro, but the QNAP 1600p and 1602p has caught my attention.
Especially the 1602p with 2.5gig switch, Nas built in, much faster, more camera options. Yeah it's more money but the 1600p compares well.

Mikrotik RB5009, Cisco Meraki Go, Cisco Catalyst, pfSense, Untangle appliance, QNAP Guardian, QNAP QHora router. Huawei AX3 even.

Will do some research on all these ta. :)

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I've been using the UDM-Pro, since it was released in 2020 and its been a pretty solid. Yes, its had a growing pains but on the whole its been good for a home unit.

TBH, I'll probably upgrade to the SE Pro over the next few months.

Last edited:
Associate
Still wouldn't touch Dream Machine junk IMHO

I’ve the UDM here I’ve been trying out along side other routers including some not available for sale and it’s very messy and has some rather unusual radiation patterns from it’s built in AP.
The network tends to be stable unless you use their QoS which is not quite working as intended and DPI inspection is not very accurate. Lots of features seem to create issues like bandwidth profiles even if not used then conflict with FQ CoDel.

Soldato
No, I don't think that'll work. I think DHCP option 43 is only used pre adoption to a controller. If you're using an FQDN for your controller than you could just update the DNS behind it.

Alternatively, you can do it with this setting (Settings -> Network Application -> Console settings) in the classic settings:
nN1IkPz.png

Or in the new settings it's Settings -> System -> Application Configuration:

78otn15.png

Set the hostname/IP field to the new IP of your controller and enable the override. That'll tell your devices to connect to the controller on its new IP address. They'll then show as disconnected. Change the IP address of your controller to the IP address you set earlier and then your devices should automatically connect.

Another option is to change the IP of the controller then SSH into each device and do 'set-inform http://new.ip.of.controller:8080/inform' and they'll then reconnect.

Associate
Earlier today i unplugged and moved my USW-Lite 16 PoE switch.
After plugging everything back in, there's no POE and the light alternates between white and blue?
Tried to power cycle and the reset button. Nothing helped.

Did I fry my switch and RMA it? Or is there another work around?

Back
Top Bottom