What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Hi guys -

what's the best replacement battery brand for a G Shock? It is a GA1000 big boy so takes 2x SR927Ws and I'm certain the Energizers I put in there only last about a year. I see Renata brand or Maxell on Amazon. Happy to go elsewhere though if they're reputable?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
With this type of battery it's much of a muchness between the known brands. Renata is the usual OEM battery anyway for many watches but you'll get the same battery life out of any of them regardless.

The Laco is currently being made! Should have it in a week or so as long as FedEx don't muck about with a grand tour of the UK.

Cannot wait. The Seiko has sold as will shortly the G-Shock square. Wasn't expecting to have two Fliegers in the collection but in many ways they are very different Fliegers from dial type to case material.

Soldato
Still waiting for my Max Bill. Ordered from first class watches which was showing out of stock and a 5-15 day wait. Call me impatient but we're at least 5 days in now and I'm still waiting :cry:.

I went with the hand wind which only appears to come on a brown strap but I wanted black for 'dressy' occasions so I've already got a black strap on the way :D

Congrats on the Max Bill. I have the Chronoscope and it's beautiful.

Soldato
My Speedmaster has been sent off to Omega for warranty repair after I found that it consistently stops running after 6 hours. ETA for getting it back from isn't until 12th April, hopefully it'll be sooner.

Associate
After a bit of advice if anyone doesn't mind, i've never bought a watch before and am looking for something under £1500 preferrably with a leather strap. I like the looks of the Oris big crowns but i'm wondering if there's any better options? I'm not really into all the small clock faces bunched in on some of the others but i'm not sure if there's some features i don't know about which are worth getting

Associate
My Speedmaster has been sent off to Omega for warranty repair after I found that it consistently stops running after 6 hours. ETA for getting it back from isn't until 12th April, hopefully it'll be sooner.

I have literally opened this thread to post a similar thing about my Seamaster 300 Professional, started stopping after half a day and now 3 days later it stops 10 mins after I put it down. Ive logged into the Omega site and found a service center around my area do you just contact the service center direct via the omega site or is it best to contact omega direct first ?

Thanks.

Soldato
I have literally opened this thread to post a similar thing about my Seamaster 300 Professional, started stopping after half a day and now 3 days later it stops 10 mins after I put it down. Ive logged into the Omega site and found a service center around my area do you just contact the service center direct via the omega site or is it best to contact omega direct first ?

Thanks.

Hmm.. Unsure about that tbh, I would give your local service centre a call and see what they say.

I had mine sent back to the AD that I purchased it from.

Last edited:
Associate
After a bit of advice if anyone doesn't mind, i've never bought a watch before and am looking for something under £1500 preferrably with a leather strap. I like the looks of the Oris big crowns but i'm wondering if there's any better options? I'm not really into all the small clock faces bunched in on some of the others but i'm not sure if there's some features i don't know about which are worth getting

I'd look at the Longines hydroconquest range at that price point. Maybe even the Longines hydroconquest chronograph, but that may be a little over budget.

Associate
Hmm.. Unsure about that tbh, I would give your local service centre a call and see what they say.

I had mine sent back to the AD that I purchased it from.

Ok thankyou nearest service centre is a jewellery store in a local town a few miles away so I’ll give them a call tomorrow.

Soldato
Nothing wrong with the oris imo, although I'm likely biased seeing as I have a 41mm big crown pro pilot on metal bracelet :)

If you're looking for 'big faces' oris obviously do the 44mm day date version of the pro pilot, I'm guessing it's this one you're referring to because I'm not sure the pointer date version fits the description, although nothing really wrong with that either, especially if you're going 'retro' in looks.

At 1500 range, I'd be looking at stowa (flieger style), alpina, longines is an option as mentioned above and hamilton do some watches that might work.

Honestly I'd suggest, find some watches you like (don't worry about prices), post them up here and then we can suggest opinions and/or alternatives if the price is above your budget.

Associate
Thanks, i did look over the suggestions and certainly there's a good longines one which caught my eye, just not the hydroconquest type:The Longines 1832 Watch L4.825.4.92.2
I suppose all i need to work out is if the automatic movement suits me as it wont be used daily.
On the cheaper end with quartz movement i like this one: Frederique Constant Slimline 37mm Mens Watch FC-235M4S4 | Goldsmiths
I much prefer the design on it really but if the automatic movement is going to be better that will sway it i think, and i still would shop around to see if an oris would be better for me than the longines

Soldato
Thanks, i did look over the suggestions and certainly there's a good longines one which caught my eye, just not the hydroconquest type:The Longines 1832 Watch L4.825.4.92.2
I suppose all i need to work out is if the automatic movement suits me as it wont be used daily.
On the cheaper end with quartz movement i like this one: Frederique Constant Slimline 37mm Mens Watch FC-235M4S4 | Goldsmiths
I much prefer the design on it really but if the automatic movement is going to be better that will sway it i think, and i still would shop around to see if an oris would be better for me than the longines

Personal opinion and I have both quartz (citizen eco drives) and automatic watches (hamilton and oris).... If you're not going to be wearing an automatic watch on a daily basis, so it keeps ticking, I'd honestly say grab a quartz purely due to it being 'grab and go'.
Essentially there are pro's and con's to both, automatics will need servicing at some point which adds on additional cost, quartz (unless solar) will basically need a battery change.

Automatic watches generally come in more expensive watches so are usually better finished than quartz (if you ignore grand seiko), however quartz will keep better time due to being 'digital'.

One thing that is universal is size of the watch, while it might not seem a lot 3mm difference in diameter can have a huge impact on how the watch will wear. The Longines is 40mm and the Frederique Constant is 37mm and while there is a trend towards smaller watches now I'd still pick a watch that 'fits' my wrist. For reference I like 40mm +/-1mm for my 8inch wrist although I can easily pull off 44mm if I wanted.

Based on the two watches you've shown (neither of which will be bad imo), I'd honestly say go take a look at hamilton intramatic/jazzmaster lines as well.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It was mentioned above Flieger style, definitely Stowa or Laco. they both give you tailoring options when ordering and you can build a watch that is to your liking. You get something built to order exceptionally well and a movement that is tightly regulated beyond base specs.

The new Laco Pro series is 200m water resist, so pretty life-proof and offers a lot of options to customise when ordering: https://www.laco.de/en/watches/flieger-pro

Likewise Stowa have a number of nice sized classical options from Marine to Flieger styles.

The import duty won't be expensive either, around £30 or so after the VAT is added back by the courier, so relatively inexpensive even post-Brexit.

Estimated delivery date Tuesday, 18/01/2022
before 18:00

If that's accurate then most impressive, I don't recall the Aachen I had before being delivered the day after it left Laco Germany!

Last edited:
Associate
I rang Omega about my broken seamaster and they are sending out a prepaid box etc to send it in, anyone know how long it takes to receive the prepaid stuff ?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Surely you could have asked them on the phone? :p

They will send it standard 1st/2nd class. You should get it as a result within that class's scope, so anywhere up to 3 working days.

I've paid the VAT+import duty today for the Laco, £201 but the cutoff for the package to hit my local FedEx sorting hub passed so delivery is now tomorrow.

The total price has worked out near enough the same as Laco's website price after Euros conversion.

Associate
Surely you could have asked them on the phone? :p

They will send it standard 1st/2nd class. You should get it as a result within that class's scope, so anywhere up to 3 working days.

Thanks for the info yeah you're right, didn't think at the time and didn't fancy waiting 20 mins on the phone again to get through just to ask them that, figured someone in here would know so thanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom