• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PC Gamer: RX 6500 XT looks worse on paper than AMD's $199 GPU from six years ago

Soldato
I've seen a few comments from people that said it looks like things are going backwards in the GPU market. On the plus side, power consumption is down. Otherwise - this makes for rather depressing reading I think...

RX_6500_XT.gif

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/amd-rx-6500-xt-worse-than-rx-480/

you are not miles off tbh. the RX580 probably performs on par with this card or may well trump it. tho this card is DX12 where older gen cards really struggles. so be interested in seeing their performances in DX11 firestrike for instance benchmark.

but what you do get in the latest chip is efficiency. that isnt really much a win for gamers...messed up market and greedy, manufacturers

Soldato
Y'know what, I'm tempted to bag one these "things" just for the hell of it, it'll go into a build I'm currently doing with an i3 10100 budget build and I'm just really curious to see what it actually goes like (the mobo will have pci-e gen 4 btw). The way I look at it is, they're gonna be faster than a 580 4gb (I hope) and should be cheaper than one of those bearing in mind they're second hand too.
I just would have liked to see some reviews first say, in the morning before buying.

I'll also be able to compare it with an rx480 4gb in the same setup which should be a nice comparison

Associate
Y'know what, I'm tempted to bag one these "things" just for the hell of it, it'll go into a build I'm currently doing with an i3 10100 budget build and I'm just really curious to see what it actually goes like (the mobo will have pci-e gen 4 btw). The way I look at it is, they're gonna be faster than a 580 4gb (I hope) and should be cheaper than one of those bearing in mind they're second hand too.
I just would have liked to see some reviews first say, in the morning before buying.

I'll also be able to compare it with an rx480 4gb in the same setup which should be a nice comparison

Buy one, then watch the reviews. No harm in sending it back, or sell it on here for price paid if the demand is high and shops sell out. That's my plan if the price is actually feasible.

Soldato
What the worst aspect of this so called "shortage" is that it seems to affect the self build market the worse. People have been able to relatively easily get hold of laptops and desktops with RTX3060/RTX3060TI dGPUs for under £1000 for months. The RTX3050TI,etc are not that hard to get in relatively cost effective laptops,etc. Once you add the street price of these dGPUs in many cases buying the whole system puts them close to RRP!

Consoles and AMD APUs use between 150MM2~250MM2 7NM SOCs,but they are easy to find at RRP. Yet,dGPUs with similar or smaller SOCs are going massively over RRP??

It will be interesting to see how the RX6500XT equivalent in laptops fares in terms of pricing and availability. I suspect once "launch pricing" subsides,the only way to get it at "RRP" is to buy a prebuilt laptop or desktop system.

It's almost like the self built market supply is being constrained,to raise pricing.

Soldato
What the worst aspect of this so called "shortage" is that it seems to affect the self build market the worse. .

It's because the distributors are sending all those GPUs that were meant to hit the retail shelves directly to miners instead. With OEMs they have a clear contract so no such shenanigans, thus it's easier for pre-builts & laptops to have better pricing.

Soldato
Think i might buy the 6500xt, IF it doesn't price at a penny over £200, but certainly not open the thing until i see some benchmarks so i can send it back.

This seems like the sensible option. Or hold onto it until the RTX 3050 is dropped a week later and see what that sells for.

Edit: my son's motherboard is socket 1155 so limited to PCIe 2... guessing that makes this card a non-starter given concerns about performance on PCIe 3 boards?

Last edited:
Associate
This seems like the sensible option. Or hold onto it until the RTX 3050 is dropped a week later and see what that sells for.

Edit: my son's motherboard is socket 1155 so limited to PCIe 2... guessing that makes this card a non-starter given concerns about performance on PCIe 3 boards?

the 3050 will the better card but at what cost.

OcUK Staff
Back
Top Bottom