• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PC Gamer: RX 6500 XT looks worse on paper than AMD's $199 GPU from six years ago

Caporegime
Ok, got this 6500xt installed in the system below and just did a quick run of Heaven benchie at the settings also below:
system:
Intel i3 10100 4c/8t
16gb (2 x 8) ddr4 2666mhz memory
Gigabyte B510M H Mobo (running pcie Gen 3)

Heaven settings:
1080p
2 x AA
tessallation normal
high quality

and got: 2957 score, 117 fps. now this seems a bit high to me, so I might be doing summat wrong so I'm gonna try 3dmark and unigine Valley and see what I get with those.

A score of 3,000 seems about right to me, i would expect it to score about half that of a stock 2070 Super, you're slightly over that, i don't think its as bad as some reviewers want you to believe it is, i also think its the last $200 GPU we will ever see, i think due to the way things are now it is very difficult to make $200 GPU's and the message they are getting is if you try reviewers are not going to like the results and hate you for it.

hGGrjpq.png

Associate
just remember than a a lot of those benchmark scores are dependant on the CPU as well.

Stock 5600XT
Stock ryzen 1700

Score 3216
FPS 127.7
max 243.6
min 9.3

Last edited:
Soldato
What are the chances of getting a 3060ti for that kind of money now? Also, its hardly like for like is it. I had an rx6800 a while back, cost me £625 from Ocuk late last year and that'll also beat an rx6500xt, try picking up one of those for that kind of money.

Oh and don't forget, the testing was done on pcie gen 3, not 4

Last edited:
Caporegime
GXgd27j.jpg

Paid £460 for 3060Ti, for £ per fps comparison.

CPU is Curve optimised, no PBO.

Kinda puts it in to perspective, your performance is in this at least is 22% higher.

Your cost per frame is £3.20

Pieman's cost per frame is £1.70 (Assuming £200 cost)

Mine is £2.10 (Cost £480)

Edit: seems kinds low for a 3060TI.
Edit 2: you're running higher settings....

Associate
What are the chances of getting a 3060ti for that kind of money now? Also, its hardly like for like is it. I had an rx6800 a while back, cost me £625 from Ocuk late last year and that'll also beat an rx6500xt, try picking up one of those for that kind of money.

Oh and don't forget, the testing was done on pcie gen 3, not 4

To what end are you dismissing the results and comparison ? Would you really rather use scalper prices as a yard stick instead of the MSRP from which we can draw 20+ years of historical pricing data ?

Associate
Kinda puts it in to perspective, your performance is in this at least is 22% higher.

Your cost per frame is £3.20

Pieman's cost per frame is £1.70 (Assuming £200 cost)

Mine is £2.10 (Cost £480)

Edit: seems kinds low for a 3060TI.
Edit 2: you're running higher settings....

^^^ You noticed :D

Soldato
To what end are you dismissing the results and comparison ? Would you really rather use scalper prices as a yard stick instead of the MSRP from which we can draw 20+ years of historical pricing data ?

That was then, this is now. the whole landscape of gpus has radically changed over the past two years and I personally reckon its not going to return to anything resembling what it was back then. So, how can you compare a card thats obviously faster and better all round to one that is basically a dog! And you've got to look at the today type prices, not what people get hold of them for some time ago. the price you'd pay for a 3060ti is roughly £750 not £460.
At least compare with summat like a 1650/super, 5500xt, etc of a similar tier

Associate
That was then, this is now. the whole landscape of gpus has radically changed over the past two years and I personally reckon its not going to return to anything resembling what it was back then. So, how can you compare a card thats obviously faster and better all round to one that is basically a dog! And you've got to look at the today type prices, not what people get hold of them for some time ago. the price you'd pay for a 3060ti is roughly £750 not £460.
At least compare with summat like a 1650/super, 5500xt, etc of a similar tier

I disagree, the current market is a blip in the road imo, things will go back to normal this year. Yes the cards will cost more due to inflation and added VAT but the logistics (shipping etc) and supply will normalise.. the price will not be double.

Pandemic is over.

Soldato
I disagree, the current market is a blip in the road imo, things will go back to normal this year. Yes the cards will cost more due to inflation and added VAT but the logistics (shipping etc) and supply will normalise.. the price will not be double.

Pandemic is over.

I don't think we are seeing that. We've just been told that there is 20% price hike in TSMC chip costs. And you should certainly be looking at price you can purchase now when doing comparisons of price to performance if you was trying to buy a card unless you've got a time machine to prepurchase accordingly.

Caporegime
Soldato
I don't think we are seeing that. We've just been told that there is 20% price hike in TSMC chip costs. And you should certainly be looking at price you can purchase now when doing comparisons of price to performance if you was trying to buy a card unless you've got a time machine to prepurchase accordingly.

Yet despite the high pricing for the individual dGPUs,I have had no issues sourcing entire laptops/desktops with RTX3060/RTX3060TI/RX6600/RX6600XT dGPUs at reasonable prices. The reality even if prices have gone up,they have gone up most for people wanting to buy these as individual parts. This is why increasing buying a whole system makes more sense then building one yourself(and some of these companies allow you to choose the parts too).

Back
Top Bottom