What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Dark city 8/10
Has quite a bit in common with the matrix, even down to using some of the same sets. Dark and creative film that holds up well today. Especially as most modern films are rubbish reboots and sequels. Oh and Melissa George and Jennifer Connelly are worth an extra point too :p

Iirc dark city came before the matrix? I still need to get round to watch it!

Caporegime
Eternals

Beautiful with an excellent cast, it's more conceptually interesting than most superhero movies yet it feels like less than the sum of its parts. It failed to grab me, and I found myself checking my phone rather than tuning in. It also feels like a film and story that shouldn't be trying to sit in the shared universe with the familiar Marvel superheroes. The CGI in the aftercredits was weirdly bad, especially given the quality throughout.

Doesn't quite work 5/10.

Soldato
@Steampunk Agree with pretty much everything you said. It is a beautiful film I enjoyed it but a lot is missing that provides context.

I think as a viewer, you get so much more out of it if you already know the story. The Jamis scenes are quite poignant, but if you didn't know Paul was seeing potential futures and that in the end he is forced
to take a first step into his blood-soaked future by killing Jamis,
it doesn't resonate. There's little explanation of the vendetta between Harkonnens and Atredies. Jessica is portrayed as selfish and arrogant to try and give birth to the Kwizatz Haderach, but she's unaware of the breeding program and just has a son out of love for Leto. Piter de Vries and Thifur Hawat and a mentat's abilities are very glossed over, as is Yueh and how he's broken. Paul has been trained as soldier, duke, mentat and Bene Geserit, but even he doesn't know all that's been done to him. I could go on about all the important details that Villeneuve has had to simply paint with a broad brush to get into the film at all, even though he's taken two and a half hours of screen time to get halfway through the first book.

I'm glad the film has been made, and I'm glad it's so good and so well received, but film is such a shallow medium for a story like this. I enjoyed it anyway, but I'm not sure anyone not familiar with the books would consider it as kindly as I do. I think a lot of people who went to the movie without the background story and enjoyed it anyway simply don't know what they are missing, and I'm okay with that.

Associate
The White Tiger. Not a bad film. Starts off well then goes sinister; its not your average Hollywood ending where the good guys wins the day but the struggle for lower down to get a grasp of a broken ladder to move up. Its like watching what may happen if Slumdog Millionaire did not win. Pretty enjoyable film.

Associate
The White Tiger. Not a bad film. Starts off well then goes sinister; its not your average Hollywood ending where the good guys wins the day but the struggle for lower down to get a grasp of a broken ladder to move up. Its like watching what may happen if Slumdog Millionaire did not win. Pretty enjoyable film.
It is a decent film, but it was a brilliant book that goes far deeper into the themes.

A Night to Remember. 8/10

An older film, 1950s. Monochromatic with a few familiar faces. It is also quite dated obviously but I enjoyed the blatancy of the dialogue and the model work was pretty good too. You could see they mixed real ship footage in with the models but its done pretty well given its age. I really enjoyed it even though it was slightly inaccurate about the sinking itself. The ship going down in one piece. A number of witnesses said it broke up but one of the officers said it went down in one piece so that was what was widely thought at the time and only disproved when discovered by Ballard. I would recommend watching it, I didn't think I would be able to get through a 60 year old film in black and white but I was highly entertained for the whole 2 hours.

Soldato
Half of Red Notice :) I've been putting this off as i'm fed up of Ryan Reynolds atm - same wise cracks/character in EVERY one of his movies.

But enjoying this so far, this Ryan Reynolds is on par with his Deadpool character and the set pieces/locations are stunning.

Will finish the rest today :)

Back
Top Bottom