The Big WWE Wrestling Thread

Caporegime
The rumble last night was utterly boring, the women's one was basically full of people that rarely wrestle anymore just to fill out the numbers

The men's one had basically zero surprise entrants and once #30 came out the ending was obvious.

I'd also love to know how is it piledrivers are banned in wwe but some random singer doing a flipping version is perfectly fine? Technically it's the opponent doing most of the work on that move but when a more basic standard version where they just fall onto their ass is banned you have to wonder how one with much more momentum is OK to do. I'm guessing vince hasn't clued into the fact it's a piledriver yet....

Soldato
The rumble last night was utterly boring, the women's one was basically full of people that rarely wrestle anymore just to fill out the numbers

The men's one had basically zero surprise entrants and once #30 came out the ending was obvious.
Cant agree more, it was one of the worst.

Associate

I'd also love to know how is it piledrivers are banned in wwe but some random singer doing a flipping version is perfectly fine? Technically it's the opponent doing most of the work on that move but when a more basic standard version where they just fall onto their ass is banned you have to wonder how one with much more momentum is OK to do. I'm guessing vince hasn't clued into the fact it's a piledriver yet....

I think its probably safer, becuase of the way the oppponents head to moving towards the floor and the angle of the legs/feet of the person doing the move, vs the piledriver. Also, take into consideration wrestlers like Owen Hart and Edge (quiet early in his carrer) have serverly injured wrestlers with the piledriver, but I don't know of anyone being injured by the Canadian Destoryer, despite seeing it used quite a lot more often, especially since its not banned in WWE.

Associate
Cant agree more, it was one of the worst.

I thought the Rumbles were boring. Besides the grit/it couple match, the others were fine, maybe even better than I expected.

I enjoyed the women's Rumble a lot more, since their were hardly any surprises/returns (announced or not) in the men's. People were expecting a forbidden door entrant in the mens, probably from TNA or someone they recently released, but still on their 30/90 day no compete, but we got Drew. No disrespect, but I'm not a huge fan of his. Ronda winning the womens was also kind of boring.

And #30 being Brock was a huge let down. There are a number of rumoured matches for WrestleMania, and there were a few different ways of getting there. Brock winning the Rumble to fight Roman was the most boring of them. Brock already didn't get his rematch with Roman at Day 1 becuase of covid, so the rematch was the story and Roman cuasing Brock to loose and walking away with Heyman was all they needed to further that fued.

Caporegime
I think its probably safer, becuase of the way the oppponents head to moving towards the floor and the angle of the legs/feet of the person doing the move, vs the piledriver. Also, take into consideration wrestlers like Owen Hart and Edge (quiet early in his carrer) have serverly injured wrestlers with the piledriver, but I don't know of anyone being injured by the Canadian Destoryer, despite seeing it used quite a lot more often, especially since its not banned in WWE.

No way its safer, the fact there's a flip involved makes it more dangerous from the offset plus the move has a lot more momentum vs a regular piledriver so if anything does go wrong it's likely to end worse for the person taking the move. Not to mention its an incredibly stupid looking move as well, the person taking the move does most of the work and it's very obvious when it's used.

Only reason Owen Hart injured Austin was he fell flat on his ass doing a Tombstone variation, ironically Austin did the same thing several years previous with the same sitting Tombstone and injured a wrestler. No clue about what version edge used, but the standard piledriver is such a simple move vs some of the flip flopping crap that goes on in the ring it's baffling to me why it's banned.

Associate
No way its safer, the fact there's a flip involved makes it more dangerous from the offset plus the move has a lot more momentum vs a regular piledriver so if anything does go wrong it's likely to end worse for the person taking the move. Not to mention its an incredibly stupid looking move as well, the person taking the move does most of the work and it's very obvious when it's used.

Only reason Owen Hart injured Austin was he fell flat on his ass doing a Tombstone variation, ironically Austin did the same thing several years previous with the same sitting Tombstone and injured a wrestler. No clue about what version edge used, but the standard piledriver is such a simple move vs some of the flip flopping crap that goes on in the ring it's baffling to me why it's banned.

Yet, do you know anyone that has been injured by the Canadian Destroyer? Despite, it being done loads in WWE (including twice by a singer) and being an indie darling move (like the superkick or cutter) that loads of wrestlers do outside of WWE do. If its more dangerous, wouldn't there be more injuries?

Poeple often say (you'll find a thread on reddit about it), the move is less dangerous, exactly becuase of what you said, its the opponent doing most of the move, therefore the onus is on the opponent to take the move and not injure themselves, more so than a piledriver.

Caporegime
Yet, do you know anyone that has been injured by the Canadian Destroyer? Despite, it being done loads in WWE (including twice by a singer) and being an indie darling move (like the superkick or cutter) that loads of wrestlers do outside of WWE do. If its more dangerous, wouldn't there be more injuries?

It's done occasionally in wwe, hardly loads. Eventually there will be an injury. And considering the piledriver has been a staple of wrestling for decades the amount of injuries caused by it are comparatively few on the whole. Wwe is the only promotion that im aware of that has banned the piledriver, its still used everywhere else with no issue.

The simplicity of the piledriver makes injuries more down to carelessness on the part of the wrestlers, it should be a simple enough task to ensure the opponents head isn't getting buried into the mat.

Associate
It's done occasionally in wwe, hardly loads. Eventually there will be an injury. And considering the piledriver has been a staple of wrestling for decades the amount of injuries caused by it are comparatively few on the whole. Wwe is the only promotion that im aware of that has banned the piledriver, its still used everywhere else with no issue.

The simplicity of the piledriver makes injuries more down to carelessness on the part of the wrestlers, it should be a simple enough task to ensure the opponents head isn't getting buried into the mat.

There have been more Canadian Destroyers (CD) in main roster WWE in the last 15 or so years, than Piledrivers (since only Kane and Undertaker were allowed to Piledrive). Sin Cara, Rey Mesterio (in WWE) and others have done it on main roster. It was used frequently in NXT, especially by Adam Cole, when he went there (he called it Panama Sunrise). Its also heavily done in AEW and other indie promotions. I'm sure there were 3 CDs in AEW across 3 hours of TV just last week, and only one of them was maybe by Adam Cole (who now goes to AEW). I'm sure Lucha Bros, Luchasurous and other do it there, although Lucha Bros also do the Package Piledriver.

What I'm syaing is, I watch RAW, Smackdown, NXT, NXT UK, AEW Dynamite, AEW Rampage (& and an odd few NJPW or other indie shows per year), and there are generally about an even number of CDs and Piledrivers, although the Piledrivers aren't always the plain vanilla Undertaker style; sometimes they are spiked, package, jumping, spinning and other varieties.

Soldato
I think WWE 2K20 killed that whole genre single handed
I agree WWE 2k20 was bad ive been playing 2k19 but 2k22 on paper is starting look like one of the best in years with new graphic, Creation Suite, the return of GM MODE, new My FACTION.

The only thing I'm worried about is the roster and The drip fed information.

Soldato
Seen bits and pieces of the elimination chamber, I wonder who Goldberg ****** off, he managed to hit a spear twice and that was it.
Seems like they're going all in on Brock-Roman and building those guys up as clearly better than everyone else. It makes for an intriguing Wrestlemania main event, but does give a headache for what they do next: going to have to work to rehabilitate whoever comes next to the title picture.

Cody Rhodes, who's recently (shockingly) left AEW, is heavily rumoured to be going to WWE. Maybe they could slot him in to the title picture?

Associate
Not sure if the Lashley injury was real or not, but I thought it was a storyline way of getting him out of the match, so I was hoping when either 5th or 6th entrant entered (depending on when Brock came out), his empty chamber would light up, and Cody's music would hit and he'd come out as the replacement for Lashley. But, if they done that, he'd have to win, and the only way to do that would be with interference from Usos/Roman attacking Brock. Unless they wanted to invest big time in Cody and have him beat Brock.

Soldato
i was a bit shocked at the cody news, thought he was one of the big chiefs. would he come back to wwe after the way vince treated him? i know money talks, but seems weird. i like brocks new persona, he makes me laugh. he seems more full time now, not that i watch raw and SD most weeks.

Associate
i was a bit shocked at the cody news, thought he was one of the big chiefs. would he come back to wwe after the way vince treated him? i know money talks, but seems weird. i like brocks new persona, he makes me laugh. he seems more full time now, not that i watch raw and SD most weeks.
The rumour is that Cody was unhappy after Tony Khan took more control over creative at AEW (Kenny Omega pretty much said so in an interview recently), and the money offered to him wasn't as much as he wanted, which is why he left. The only other place that can give him that type of money during the current times is WWE. He could go to NJPW (+ other US indies), but with covid restrictions, he might be isolating a lot during his travels.

Associate
oh right. maybe more will follow. lots of fans moaning that its gone a bit crap.

Recently, AEW has signed loads of ex WWE tallent and some notable names from other promotions, like ROH, Impact, etc. But now they face the same problem that WWE had 2 years ago, where they had too many tallent under contract, who were mostly sitting around in catering. Atleast WWE has touring, which AEW doesn't. WWE got rid of many excess tallent over the past 2 years (unfortunately during covid, when most other promotions were closed), but AEW signed many notable tallent. And now the AEW originals don't get much air time. I think a decent number of originals will be jumping to WWE in the next 1-2 years, as most had 3-4 year contracts with additional 1 year option, so the contracts will be nearing its end.

Cody is the last person AEW needed to loose, as he was the only one of the EVPs who worked for a major American wrestling promotion and the only one whose dad was a promoter himself. He would have continued to be a wealth of knowledge for Tony. With Cody in WWE, he'd be able to advice WWE on who to sign from AEW, as he would have some knowledge of when their cotracts are up. And the optics of WWE even signing a handful of AEW originals won't be good for AEW, especilally if they breakout in WWE (which might be the one thing going against WWE, as most new WWE signees from other promotions in recent years haven't fared well).

Soldato
given some of his comments i think it would very very uncomfortable in the locker room if he returned to WWE. i also think it would be a total waste for him - he might get a massive launch so WWE could laud some sort of stuff about stars jumping from AEW but i guarantee he'd be back to jobbing and doing stuff he didn't like w/in a year.

Back
Top Bottom