**** Please enable 2FA on your OcUK forum account ****

Soldato
It's only needed once you've reached the criteria for MM access, that's 6 months and 1000 posts.

It was either that or we shut down MM. as there was no way we could limit it to only people who had MM access that we could find and impliment.
I guess at the end of the day the question is which is more important - MM or the rest of the forum. And can the former continue to exist if the latter declines.

Commissario
OP
What's more important is protecting our members. We had a number of situations of compromised accounts (not caused by any data leak from OcUK) where fraudulent adverts were placed in the MM. Fortunately they were spotted and dealt with quickly and without anyone getting caught out. The MM has an excellent reputation and that would have been completely trashed if anyone had lost money in there due to compromised accounts. This has already been explained in this thread multiple times.

Soldato
It's been explained multiple times, but you can see that in the previously busy subforums that people are leaving, as I said would happen. You know the stats, so how's it going?

Soldato
"You're holding it wrong!".

As I said earlier, anyone with any basic app/web UX experience would know what adding something like this would do to the forum, and we're seeing it happen. Nobody on earth is going to install an authenticator to access a niche web forum.

However any one with any sense would already be using an authenticator app for as many of their logins as possible, so this is just a case of adding another site to the app.

V F

V F

Soldato
However any one with any sense would already be using an authenticator app for as many of their logins as possible, so this is just a case of adding another site to the app.

I'm still amazed the amount of stories I still keep reading where they got stung with this for their PlayStation or Steam accounts. Yet it's not hard to setup.

Soldato
Got to be honest, I'm getting a little fed up with the frequency of the 2fa, yes it's 'once a month' and it's 'relatively quick' to do but I don't need to do it as often on other forums or sites. Using an authenticator app would actually be slower than using the email for me so don't go suggesting that as a solution either.

I can understand it for things like mm needing a bit of extra protection, I can even understand if I was logging in on different IP addresses or devices but I don't use the mm, I have a fixed IP and I'm on the same pc.... could we not get some sort of 'this pc is ok' cookie rather than the monthly code....

And I agree with some other comments about 'popularity' of the forum since the change, it does seem less active to me as well.

Soldato
You sound as though you're proud of this. What would be your alternative suggestion, close the MM?
If it's too much to manage properly vs the rest of the forum, then yes. It would be sad to see this place die for the sake of a marketplace that a small subset of people use.

Interestingly my number of threads/posts visible by default changed on my preferences to 20 in the past day, is that something that happened across the board? I've not touched it in years.

Commissario
OP
Interestingly my number of threads/posts changed on my preferences to 20 in the past day or so, is that something that happened across the board? I've not touched it in years.
The change log shows you changed to 20 threads/page, 100 posts/page and 20 conversations/page 15 minutes ago.
Then 14 minutes ago you changed it to 100 threads/page, 100 posts/page and 100 conversations/page.
Then 10 minutes ago you changed it to 100 threads/page, 40 posts/page and 40 conversations/page.

It doesn't show what the values were changed from prior to that first change and there's nothing in the log to indicate any other changes were made.

Associate
Got to be honest, I'm getting a little fed up with the frequency of the 2fa, yes it's 'once a month' and it's 'relatively quick' to do but I don't need to do it as often on other forums or sites. Using an authenticator app would actually be slower than using the email for me so don't go suggesting that as a solution either.

I can understand it for things like mm needing a bit of extra protection, I can even understand if I was logging in on different IP addresses or devices but I don't use the mm, I have a fixed IP and I'm on the same pc.... could we not get some sort of 'this pc is ok' cookie rather than the monthly code....

And I agree with some other comments about 'popularity' of the forum since the change, it does seem less active to me as well.

Completely agree with this. I've closed at the auth page probably more times than ive visited the site in the last few months

Soldato
I'm trialing an iPhone and exported my Google authenticator codes from the Samsung to it. However when I try to login to the forum on the iPhone it wont accept my Google authenticator code?

Do I need to set it to iPhone MFA in the forum settings somewhere?

Commissario
There is no seperate Iphone mfa setting that i'm aware of, they're all the same basic underlying code.

What you might need to do is reset your MFA seed as i'm not sure the default google authenticator works when you load it onto a new device (some do, but AFAIK the google one requires a new seed).

Go into your forum account page, two factor authentication, make a copy of your "backup" codes (you should have these noted down somewhere safe already), then under "verification code via app" you need to click "manage" , select the "regenerate code for a new app" and confirm then follow the instructions.

Soldato
There is no seperate Iphone mfa setting that i'm aware of, they're all the same basic underlying code.

What you might need to do is reset your MFA seed as i'm not sure the default google authenticator works when you load it onto a new device (some do, but AFAIK the google one requires a new seed).

Go into your forum account page, two factor authentication, make a copy of your "backup" codes (you should have these noted down somewhere safe already), then under "verification code via app" you need to click "manage" , select the "regenerate code for a new app" and confirm then follow the instructions.

thanks tried that but no luck. I’m in using backup codes thought.

I now have two OCUK entries on my iPhone Google Authenticator though

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
That may be session cookie related or something, does it happen on another browser too? If not then your browser profile for the slowness may be the issue or you have some script/addon installed that is doing /stuff/

Back
Top Bottom