What retro things have you done today?

Soldato
That is awesome @Kurgen.

I have a couple of old modems. I managed to find my original / first internet modem, a Hayes Accura Message Modem. Zen ISP give you a backup internet dial up line to use, so I gave it a go with that. Happy Days.

These last two weeks I've been prepping my Amiga 1200 for the next South West Amiga meet. It's looking fine.

I sold a few bits on eBay too.
cool, the hayes ones looks a good candidate for some LEDs

Soldato
Up to level 12 on dungeon keeper 1 and really having a good time with this! I was expecting to steamroll it a bit with being much older and wiser than I was in the 90s but its actually quite brutal at times.

Soldato
It's probably old enough to be classed as retro but surely if it is still being supported by Sony then it can't qualify as being retro just yet?

although its not Retro anyway, Retro is new made to look old.... technically we are talking about Vintage... and i would say thats a personal choice. my 8700k might be vintage to some ...

however there are some rules in the subforum with whats allowed to discussed etc. which is probably designed more to prevent linking to "current" competitors.

PS i have an urge to install Vista on an old laptop... I think im the only person alive who actually liked vista

Soldato
I went to RMC The Cave's Cave today and had a good time.

All systems had emulated media or WHLOAD style interfaces with a mix of games on them. Some of the 8 bit micros had hundreds of games but the Amiga 600 had about 30.

All systems had basic instructions for launching games but a bit of guess work was needed on all of them about navigating menus and such. It would have been good if the recommended games had the main controls listed alongside them.

I particularly liked the shop, seeing all those boxed 'sealed' games and being able to use the barcode scanner to immediately launch a game.

I also really enjoyed the PC Engine thing for whatever reason, might be one to look up!

Neil was about and clearly very busy but stopped to have a word with me and other people over the afternoon.

Associate
I've been messing about with my AWE32 the past couple of days primarily with its Digital output. Now the AWE32 was never a noisy card when using the Line Out but I always thought about its Digital output but never really looked at getting sound of it. Also, I would always go with General Midi as I had loads of modules that had nice clean sounding output. OPL3 over AWE32 SPIDF sounds awesome. I'm passing the digital signal form the AWE32 into a Audigy using the CD Digital (SPDIF0) and with a Dos Mixing tool over at vogons (ek2m) I can mix the audio paths and output it using the far cleaner output from the Audigy.

One short coming over SPDIF on the AWE32 is that it can't do digital sound effects (due to low sample rate of the effects and the output being (44.1khz), so Sound effects have to be run through an analogue line. To get the cleanest sound, I mute everything on the AWE32 except for Digital Effects and pass that into the Audigy Line In. It works really well and the overall sound of Games through headphones is nice and clean.

Next task is to get pure digital output of the my EWS64XL and its Midi Synth. But for now I'm going to listen to some OPL3 sounds.

BTW the Audigy is a great card to act as a mixer. It has a load of inputs (Analogue and Digital) and its able to mix all these into one output which is great! The fact the Audigy can be had for cheap is great, and the tool is non resident in memory, it just initialises the mixer when called.

Soldato

Another game ticked off. Removed DK2 from my list as I dont like it.

theme hospital (completed)
dungeon keeper (completed)
startopia
settlers 2
Conquest frontier wars
sonic and knuckles (PC version)

Back
Top Bottom