The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
I exchanged email addresses with the person I'm buying from.
I found it helps with the stress as you can keep each other updated and you can both chase up your respective solicitors to keep things on track.
That’s my thinking too. Both parties are in the process and their solicitors seem to be crap so we can keep them updated on where things are and hopefully speed up the process. I’ll post a note through their door I think.

Soldato
I'm not sure thier agents could give you contact details without thier permission, but I honestly don't know. The other sides solicitors probably won't talk to you at all as you are not thier customer.

The person I'm buying from saw my email CC'd on something, so contacted me that way, which I've no issue with as we can share updates quickly whereas a solicitor may or may not be as proactive with updates.

Also handy for negociating a private cash deal on fridge/freezer etc if applicable.

Soldato
Question. Can ea etc provide sellers contact details? We totally forgot to ask last time we viewed the house and they didn’t either. Would help with comms and chasing their solicitors. If not we’ll just drop a note off as they’re 2 minutes from us
Their estate agent is on the hook still for any friendly/non contentious questions. It is not advised to do any Comms outside of your solicitor once appointed though.

Soldato
Their estate agent is on the hook still for any friendly/non contentious questions. It is not advised to do any Comms outside of your solicitor once appointed though.

Not sure it would do any harm as long as you leave any financial stuff to the solicitors, and any inventory quieries are formally confirmed through the solicitors, for example this sort of update sets both parties minds at ease:

Thanks for the update xxxx. Glad there’s nothing of concern..

We too have a mountain of paperwork to look through and respond to, including the enquiries from your solicitor. I’m going to respond to all this weekend and get in the post back to them early next week.

Warm Regards,
xxxx

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................

Hi xxxxx,

Thanks for the email, I have given my solicitor a prod, and they have advised: I have three of the four searches back. I still await local. I will arrange to raise enquiries this week on any event.

Just to advise I've had the survey back and it doesn't seem to contain anything of particular concern. The sale can go ahead as far as I am concerned.

Kind regards,

xxxxx

Hi xxxx

Sorry to bother you again.

I was wanting to check, have you had your drafts contracts yet for the purchase of xxxxxx? Not sure if you will have seen these if they have been sent to you by post as you’re out of the country. If it’s possible, could your solicitors send you a PDF version to review?

Also, do you have your searches back for xxxxx?

Warm Regards,
xxxxx

Soldato
estate agents are useless.. they don't even know where they're moving or what position they're in! :) it's hilarious hearing them, which is why we want to avoid contacting them as much as we can really. My worry is sellers being fed the wrong info, the reality is that their solicitors(who is EA's appointed solicitor) is what's delaying everything but I have a feeling that they'll be told otherwise.

Soldato
Well, just been updated to another delay. The landlord wants an amendment to the deed of variation, which needs to be reviewed and sent back to be signed, to then be sent back again. It's absolutely crazy considering the deed of variation itself changes just two clauses! Tomorrow marks 4 months since we had the initial offer accepted, 7 months with my partner's parents (should have been 7 weeks), and 11 months since we offered on the first house.

This whole ordeal has been draining, and it still isn't over. I'm verging on having no emotion left for anything.

Soldato
Understandable. Any pics? What is the location? Sounds like North London?

Big change from 1 bed flat in london

Last edited:
Associate
I'd chased my solicitors yesterday morning will all my outstanding questions along with clarifying where we are at and what my request for an exchange and completion date would be but sadly no reply and I'd really hoped they'd reply today so I had some clarity going into the weekend.

Outstanding I have:
Outcome of questions from contract and inventory (sent 23 days ago to them) and they've skipped this question in each reply todate.
What do they need from me about the search results, and did they have any enquiries they are raising as a result of them (they've had them for 15-20 days based on date of reports, only sent to me Tuesday this week and missing they analysis of them not that I saw any red flags in them)
Mortgage offer: Why don't they have this, we've had the offer for other a month, it took them 2 weeks to confirm to the MA they are acting on our behalf and its been 2 weeks since that, but have not thought to check where it is (I have asked my MA to check too now I know they apparently don't have it)
Are my timings for exchange end of May and completion 2 weeks later possible? This again I've probed at a few times without any response.
What's left to do! I don't believe they have done the AML or bankruptcy checks yet unless that was already done as part of the ID process we did via the app on day 1 which included our bank statements, payslips, etc.

Soldato

Big change from 1 bed flat in london
We will need to discuss that lawn……. At some point lol

Oh hang on the picture changed - it was a rear elevation picture and now it’s a front elevation picture - I’m doing something wrong….

Soldato
Lol the lawn is in a terrible state.
It’s liveable now but it needs 4.5 Bathrooms, new kitchen, paint, spot lights, new floors, sorting out the garage so lots of work over time but it’s fine for now.

I have a guy coming in to de moss the roof.

Soldato
Completed sale 25th March. Just a small 2 bed flat but it's ours. Renovations almost complete and we should be starting to move in the next week or so.

After eight years on same rent our private LL e-mailed out of the blue a few days ago to advise she wanted to negotiate a new number between 36-53% above our current rent. Writing back to quit the tenancy was rather satisfying.

Only slight fly in ointment is she'll probably make us pay for the full 40 days notice (I thought it was only 28 as we are on Scottish rolling one month tenancy) but as the original Short Assured Tenancy was 6 months I see now I should have advised her with 40 days.

Anyway. It's no more landlords from here on in. Thank goodness for that.

Soldato
I'd chased my solicitors yesterday morning will all my outstanding questions along with clarifying where we are at and what my request for an exchange and completion date would be but sadly no reply and I'd really hoped they'd reply today so I had some clarity going into the weekend.

Outstanding I have:
Outcome of questions from contract and inventory (sent 23 days ago to them) and they've skipped this question in each reply todate.
What do they need from me about the search results, and did they have any enquiries they are raising as a result of them (they've had them for 15-20 days based on date of reports, only sent to me Tuesday this week and missing they analysis of them not that I saw any red flags in them)
Mortgage offer: Why don't they have this, we've had the offer for other a month, it took them 2 weeks to confirm to the MA they are acting on our behalf and its been 2 weeks since that, but have not thought to check where it is (I have asked my MA to check too now I know they apparently don't have it)
Are my timings for exchange end of May and completion 2 weeks later possible? This again I've probed at a few times without any response.
What's left to do! I don't believe they have done the AML or bankruptcy checks yet unless that was already done as part of the ID process we did via the app on day 1 which included our bank statements, payslips, etc.
Your solicitors sound crap. We’ve chased ours and had a response but they’re just waiting for vendors solicitors to respond. We chased EA today and they apparently have contacted vendor and solicitors and it’s moving along.. vendors need to respond to some enquiries. No clue on exchange dates etc yet. Way too early I feel. Some searches did come back, our solicitors seem to send them to us as they arrive.

Associate
Your solicitors sound crap. We’ve chased ours and had a response but they’re just waiting for vendors solicitors to respond. We chased EA today and they apparently have contacted vendor and solicitors and it’s moving along.. vendors need to respond to some enquiries. No clue on exchange dates etc yet. Way too early I feel. Some searches did come back, our solicitors seem to send them to us as they arrive.
Yes, yes they do sadly. Will be making sure the EA understands their recommended solicitors were not up to scratch. At least you’ve got a response and know where things are standing.

Associate
Completed sale 25th March. Just a small 2 bed flat but it's ours. Renovations almost complete and we should be starting to move in the next week or so.

After eight years on same rent our private LL e-mailed out of the blue a few days ago to advise she wanted to negotiate a new number between 36-53% above our current rent. Writing back to quit the tenancy was rather satisfying.

Only slight fly in ointment is she'll probably make us pay for the full 40 days notice (I thought it was only 28 as we are on Scottish rolling one month tenancy) but as the original Short Assured Tenancy was 6 months I see now I should have advised her with 40 days.

Your LL will be glad to see you go as they can up the rent by 53% for their next victim, eh I mean next renter. Watch the rental websites to see how much it actually goes up by, if you care.

Anyway, congrats on getting out of the rent trap!

Can't type for toffee
Don
Our potential buyer that fell thru used true solicitors, very allow to respond and were utterly terrible at advising us what they wanted.

We did the fixtures and fittings forma pretty much instantly and replied to all of their enquiries straight away.

They kept asking for the f+f forms to be completed.. Took around weeks for them to tell us they wanted the f+f signed and dated at the bottom of every page lmao

As we nees to move fast now due to the risk of losing both the house and mortgage i contacted them to ask if i could buy the searches to give to my next buyer... 220 quid!

We only paid 90 for ours lol :/ but if it saves the predicament the last buyer left us in ill be happy to pay it rather than them start from scratch

Associate
@Itchytrigg are your solicitors local to you? If so you need to go see them and fire a rocket or two up their jacksie as those times are unacceptable.

I’d escalate it. Call them, go to their office etc. Basically be nice but be a pain so it’s hard to ignore you.
I’ll be calling them Monday morning to find out what’s happening.

They’re not local so can’t go stop by, I think I’ll also drop the EA a message checking how my seller is getting on and also drop hints mine are being a joke.

Soldato
I’ll be calling them Monday morning to find out what’s happening.

They’re not local so can’t go stop by, I think I’ll also drop the EA a message checking how my seller is getting on and also drop hints mine are being a joke.
My sellers solicitors are the eas ones. I’ve been chasing my EA and my solicitors directly and EA seem to get more response from them than anyone else.

Caporegime

Up to 50 percent? Were you living underpriced? I hope so because otherwise that's shocking.

Edit. Just read 8 years. You probably had a good deal there

And this is the argument against anyone who says renting is better than owning. I just cannot understand how anyone could think that the case.

Back
Top Bottom