Star Trek : Strange New Worlds

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Have to say though, those manoeuvres watching the ship smoothly move about really conveys its mass and looks so cool as it does it. reminds me of BSG where Galactica is being piloted around evasively.

At least they didn't do the STD thing and channel Star Wars with the engine sounds Doppler-effecting :)

Soldato
Story was meh this week, the actress playing Uhura seems out of place and fricking singing to resolve this week's current problem?! Bah, are we watching Discovery again?

No1 is weak too, agrees with the captain every time without offering any solutions or ideas herself, whereaa Dtummer-lite/Alara acts more like a No1.

I do prefer the single episode stories or maybe 2 parters, Discovery season arcs just showed these don't really work.

Scenery and effects are beautiful and Pike is great. Definitely have proper Trek back, but weak episode, hoping for more next week.

Last edited:
Soldato
The audio in this 2nd episode was incredible on a surround setup. Storyline was dull but it was great to see character development and have nightclub music every 5seconds whilst talking very fast!

Ortega bothers me for some reason. Seems very loose and at ease when she's on the bridge.

Soldato
Ortega - agreed, although she did have a bit more to do this week. Discovery's bridge crew is resigned to "Aye Captain" and other non-important lines, so as above, at least on SNW we are developing all the main crew.

Uhura just reminds me of Tilly atm; bumbling with moments of brilliance. This cadet beat 7 thousand other applicants? The actress just does not have the look or the gravitas of Bridge crew Starfleet. That being said, she is still a cadet, so maybe she is this way as the point of her this way is for the viewer to watch her grow/develop.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Pike isn't due to end up "in the chair" for 10 years, it aint gonna run for 10 seasons.

This.

Besides, he does escape the chair, in a way. Spock mutinies, kidnaps Pike and hijacks the Enterprise to get him to Talos IV where he can live the rest of his life with the illusion of no impairment (and Susan Oliver's Vina to keep him company :o:D).

Soldato
So this is actually like good trek..not perfect but a million miles better than discovery/picard.

It seems theyv at least realised that the crew can have backstories and be competent at the same time. I'm not actively wishing any of the crew would die yet. If it continues like this great...thats all I ask for season 1.

Back
Top Bottom