What TV shows are you currently watching

Soldato
Netflix really are scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

Found this clip from So I Married an Axe Murderer (yet another film where he plays multiple characters) - looks like The Pentaverate idea has been around for ~30 years. :o

Loved that movie. At the time it was hilarious, not sure if it stands up now - might have to rewatch. "Heed! Troosers. Noo!!!"

Soldato
Finished the Pentaverate last night, easy watching (bar a scene in the final, that was not welcome! :D) some proper laugh out moments and equally amount of jokes falling short. Plenty of jibes at the conspiracy nuts. Overall though if the humour suits you your gonna like it.

Soldato
So let me preface the following by saying i'm early 40's and generally have a dislike of teen angsty crap and woke agendas which on the surface, the following may fit right into from a brief watch of a trailer. It's a lot more though.

Euphoria - Season 1 - solid 8.5/10 - finished it last night - firstly i've never really rated Zendaya but her performance throughout was excellent and will give her more benefit of the doubt with upcoming projects. This repeats across the board, majority of the cast are believable in their roles and the changes and growth they go through feels natural and never forced for the story.

The writing is good and clearly from a showrunner than understands what it's like to be a teen in todays world, navigating and indulging in drugs, sex, parties - the risks and weaponisation of social media on peers. It's heavily stylised in places to the shows strength and it enhances certain scenes, emotions and moods.

I look forward to watching the 2nd season - it'd be a show that's easy to dismiss but it's layered, has depth, tackles relevant themes in todays 'young' world and does leave a lasting impression.

Soldato
'We Own This City' - HBO show, related to the Wire in some way (or I may have just read it's a spiritual successor or something). 3 eps so far, really liking it.
Not really related to The Wire other than being set in Baltimore. I don't think Marlo would've been employed by Baltimore Police!

It is brilliant though, I'm really enjoying it.

Soldato
'We Own This City' - HBO show, related to the Wire in some way (or I may have just read it's a spiritual successor or something). 3 eps so far, really liking it.
It has the same writers as the original The Wire series, one of which was a head writer and showrunner. Only seen two episodes but it's really good.

Associate
The Baltimore Gun Trace Task Force element is all based on a true story....listened to a good podcast on it

All eight members of the Gun Trace Task Force were accused in a federal racketeering indictment. The eight officers—Daniel Hersl, Evodio Hendrix, Jemell Rayam, Marcus Taylor, Maurice Ward, Momodu Gando, Thomas Allers and Wayne Jenkins—were accused of shaking down citizens for money and pocketing it, lying to investigators, filing false court paperwork, and making fraudulent overtime claims. The amount stolen from citizens ranged from $200 to $200,000.The probe began when the Drug Enforcement Administration started looking into the officers while investigating a drug organization and later involved the FBI. The officers were summoned by internal affairs March 1, 2017, and arrested All eight officers were convicted.

Soldato
he Baltimore Gun Trace Task Force element is all based on a true story....listened to a good podcast on it

All eight members of the Gun Trace Task Force were accused in a federal racketeering indictment. The eight officers—Daniel Hersl, Evodio Hendrix, Jemell Rayam, Marcus Taylor, Maurice Ward, Momodu Gando, Thomas Allers and Wayne Jenkins
Oh wow, I didn't realise the whole thing is based on true events? (Although I've not read past the end of the quote as if it's based on true events, you might have posted what happens... :cry:

Associate
Oh wow, I didn't realise the whole thing is based on true events? (Although I've not read past the end of the quote as if it's based on true events, you might have posted what happens... :cry:

Funny enough I only started watching the series following your earlier post with reference too The Wire...and then realising when watching that names sounds familiar :). Sorry for any spoilers but the first episode does shows the ring leader Wayne Jenkins being arrested but a lot is completely fictional especially the Civil Rights Division stuff.

About too watch episode 2...can't beat HBO miniseries production

Last edited:
Associate
The man who fell to earth - guy drinking water constantly, seriously it's half the script, also it's definitely produced by the far left
We own this city - sum it up in one word....meh....just watch sopranos or the wire
Pentaverate - tries too hard to be funny
House of cards - went back to this after giving up, growing on me now

Soldato
So let me preface the following by saying i'm early 40's and generally have a dislike of teen angsty crap and woke agendas which on the surface, the following may fit right into from a brief watch of a trailer. It's a lot more though.

Euphoria - Season 1 - solid 8.5/10 - finished it last night - firstly i've never really rated Zendaya but her performance throughout was excellent and will give her more benefit of the doubt with upcoming projects. This repeats across the board, majority of the cast are believable in their roles and the changes and growth they go through feels natural and never forced for the story.

The writing is good and clearly from a showrunner than understands what it's like to be a teen in todays world, navigating and indulging in drugs, sex, parties - the risks and weaponisation of social media on peers. It's heavily stylised in places to the shows strength and it enhances certain scenes, emotions and moods.

I look forward to watching the 2nd season - it'd be a show that's easy to dismiss but it's layered, has depth, tackles relevant themes in todays 'young' world and does leave a lasting impression.
Season 2 is more of the same. Just gets even more weird and intense. A good watch.

Soldato
Watching Peaky Blinders for the first time on iPlayer - I can't stop watching it, I've done 12 episodes in three nights, incredibly good series :)
Yeah PB is excellent. Watched them all last year, not seen the latest season yet.

Yellowstone is another excellent one, similar that it's a family run business etc. Though this is in Montana and a ranch.

Soldato
I finished season 2 of Six (on Amazon Prime), which is also about what I would give it out of 10. There's a reasonable enough story, but I find the writing/script is a little basic and often just bad.

I'm quite enjoying Motherland (on Netflix) as my light relief at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom