• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Watchdogs Legion Crash to Desktop 3080 ti

Associate
Hi All,

Just looking for some sense before I pull the plug on a new power supply. I have upgraded my graphics card to an Asus Tuf 3080 ti and I appear to have issues with a couple of games, Watchdogs Legion, Assassins Creed Valhalla, CP2077 seem to crash to desktop and Watchdogs will sometimes restart the PC. I upgraded from A 3070/6700XT although I have not played those games on the other cards (I will try when I have the time) Both WOW and Time SPY work with out issues. I have tried both undervolted and at stock on the 3080 ti and the crashes still happen, there is noting in the event viewer that can point to a possible cause that I can see. specs are below

5800x
32 gig Corsair Vengence RT
Asus Tuf 3080 ti
MSI 550 mobo.

PSU is an NZXT 80plus Gold 750w. This is where I believe the issue may be due to a more demanding game drawing more power, one this though on Time Spy the power draw on the card is about 353w max and it usually gets to around 330-340w max when the crashes happen.

Could it be that the PSU is the issue, or are the game just poorly optimised and bug ridden?

Thanks for looking

Soldato
Hi All,

Just looking for some sense before I pull the plug on a new power supply. I have upgraded my graphics card to an Asus Tuf 3080 ti and I appear to have issues with a couple of games, Watchdogs Legion, Assassins Creed Valhalla, CP2077 seem to crash to desktop and Watchdogs will sometimes restart the PC. I upgraded from A 3070/6700XT although I have not played those games on the other cards (I will try when I have the time) Both WOW and Time SPY work with out issues. I have tried both undervolted and at stock on the 3080 ti and the crashes still happen, there is noting in the event viewer that can point to a possible cause that I can see. specs are below

5800x
32 gig Corsair Vengence RT
Asus Tuf 3080 ti
MSI 550 mobo.

PSU is an NZXT 80plus Gold 750w. This is where I believe the issue may be due to a more demanding game drawing more power, one this though on Time Spy the power draw on the card is about 353w max and it usually gets to around 330-340w max when the crashes happen.

Could it be that the PSU is the issue, or are the game just poorly optimised and bug ridden?

Thanks for looking

I run all of these games you mentioned on a 3080 Ti without the problems you state.

It does sound like your PSU is not up to the job, however, before buying a new one, I would try those games on the other cards first, as you said.

Soldato
Ubisoft game, This is just as likely to be instability with your CPU and or Memory clocks, as an issue with your GPU/PSU combination.

Do you have any overclocks on either/both? Your PC may not be as stable as you think.

I played a lot of The Division 2 and if I upped the clocks on my CPU by just a small amount, without the correct amount of extra voltage, it would seem stable in every game I played, except Ubisoft titles, something about their game engines that stress CPU's, I think because of their heavy use of the AVX instruction set, which is about as big a strain on the CPU as its possible to get.

Associate
Typically crashes to desktop are not PSU related.

All a PSU can do is either provide the power requested of it, or fail to do so. Till PCIe5 connectors are used both on PSUs & GPUs, there is no communication between them.
If it cant provide the power required, what you would typically get is a black-screen reboot or a complete system power-off.

If its crashing to desktop, but you have nothing in event logs to help you along the way, start with the basics:

If you have a spare SSD, maybe try a completely clean install of Windows on that.
If anything is overclocked or undervolted, return everything to stock.
Maybe even default your BIOS settings, and run RAM without XMP. Just to rule out any settings within BIOS / RAM XMP etc.

Next, begin stress testing individual components. Prime95 / OCCT / Cinebench for the CPU, Time Spy stability test loop for the GPU, Port Royal run, maybe Heaven loop. Try Memtest86 to rule out any issues with RAM.

Associate
OP
Thanks, for the replies :)

No overclock on the 5800x except pbo, ram is on xpm and the 3080 ti is undervolted. I'll play around with it then decide if I pull the plug on a psu upgrade.

Just to add, I have also had a couple of system restarts where there has been a crash, screen freeze, but there were only 1 or 2 of those and again nothing in the event viewer.

Ta

Last edited:
Associate
PBO isn't gauranteed to be stable (isn't for me), nor is xmp beyond 3200 for zen3 (though vast majority can do 3600 easily)
It's always best to set everything back to known good when trying to trace a fault.

That being said crash to desktop sounds very much like the oc on your gpu is at fault. CPU issues would more likely blue screen. so you might just have a duffer of a gpu die. You could try reducing the power limit in Afterburner, 75% should be around 260w which should be easy for your PSU.

Soldato
Thanks, for the replies :)

No overclock on the 5800x except pbo, ram is on xpm and the 3080 ti is undervolted. I'll play around with it then decide if I pull the plug on a psu upgrade.

Just to add, I have also had a couple of system restarts where there has been a crash, screen freeze, but there were only 1 or 2 of those and again nothing in the event viewer.

Ta

I'd also recommend doing a full, clean installation of Windows, just to rule it out.

Back
Top Bottom