Poll: *** The official Mac Studio thread (it has the M1 Max, the M1 Ultra and everything!) ***

Are you going to buy an Apple Studio?

• Total voters
Soldato
Apparently the Display firmware will be available separate from the 12.4 RC so I’m waiting on that. I don’t generally have issues installing RC software but I’d rather wait this time round given the issues I’ve experienced so far. Unless anyone has has installed the 12.4 RC on the Mac Studio and can say all’s well?

Soldato
The RC release is 99% of the time the final release that you'll get next week, very occasionally you'll get a 2nd RC release, but no reason to expect that this time.

I have the RC on my M1 mini without issues.

Soldato
Does Apple have the same thing as Microsoft patch Tuesday or do they just release updates on random days?

I don't think my Mac Studio has ever been to sleep at all. I can leave it on a locked screen for two hours and not a single second of sleep. It just turns my monitors on and off randomly.

Soldato
Mondays and Tuesdays are fairly regular update days but they can release an update on any day.

12.4 will likely release early next week if you don’t want to update to the RC, it’s been stable for me so far but I don’t own a studio.

Soldato
I updated to the release candidate and it pains me to say there doesn’t appear to be much difference. Even when the Studio is sleeping it’s drawing 24W (in my case) and that doesn’t look like it’s sleeping to me

Soldato
I wonder if this will fix the sleep issues even if you are not using a Studio Display?

Having just updated to 12.4, I can tell you that it hasn't. My Dell P2715Q still doesn't wake by itself when the Mac wakes up. I have to toggle the power button.

Maybe it is power napping? :D

(sorry...)

:D

As an aside, does anyone remember the early Apple Macintosh Classic/Classic II where it would say "Boris is napping"? I just tried to Google it but all I got was photos of Boris Johnson asleep. :cry:

Soldato
Does anyone have power readings for the Studio? I'm curious how many watts you hit under a general load/usage i.e. browsing with a VM open or similar.
From what I understand it's fairly low, well under 50W under general, it idles at near single figures. Getting it to chug >100W is apparently quite difficult. They're absolute beasts these chips for efficiency.

Soldato
Does anyone have power readings for the Studio? I'm curious how many watts you hit under a general load/usage i.e. browsing with a VM open or similar.
Two 27” monitors plus the Studio use about 100W for me. That’s with a few browser windows open - very light use. Not sure how much power the monitors are using

Back
Top Bottom