The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
ID Checks, Email Check, Age verification, Address verification. It might come to this yet with all social media platforms.

Sure, ID checks would prevent/remove a lot of the fake/bot accounts but isn't a complete fool proof system as it's data that can be faked and pass muster, which has happened in the past with banks failing to spot faked ID documents which has lead to fraud.
And going all out GD conspiracy theory, it wouldn't prevent governments creating fake/bot accounts ;)

Apparently Twitter Legal claimed he broke an NDA by releasing the information so I'm assuming it's true. No, just Elon's Tweets... Definitely not something they would want to share officially.

I'm still taking it with a mountain amount of salt, although it's damaging if true. But i'm surprised Musk didn't do his due diligence prior to making an official offer, especially acquiring a global business for silly money, if he was so concerned with that aspect of the business - just seems a little odd.

Permabanned
Sure, ID checks would prevent/remove a lot of the fake/bot accounts but isn't a complete fool proof system as it's data that can be faked and pass muster, which has happened in the past with banks failing to spot faked ID documents which has lead to fraud.
And going all out GD conspiracy theory, it wouldn't prevent governments creating fake/bot accounts ;)

It wouldn't fool proof it 100% unless full checks were put in place. If the gov wanted to do that then that's on them.

Commissario
Soldato
It wasn't an educated guess, it was an estimate based on a statistical sample.

@BowdonUK said 'now it's looking like there is more.' That might be true, but what evidence is it based on?
Honestly dude, apply an ounce of critical thinking. In the report you linked to yourself:

For example, there are a number of false or spam accounts in existence on our platform. We have performed an internal review of a sample of accounts and estimate that the average of false or spam accounts during the first quarter of 2022 represented fewer than 5% of our mDAU during the quarter. The false or spam accounts for a period represents the average of false or spam accounts in the samples during each monthly analysis period during the quarter. In making this determination, we applied significant judgment, so our estimation of false or spam accounts may not accurately represent the actual number of such accounts, and the actual number of false or spam accounts could be higher than we have estimated

(but certainly not lower :D )

As stated above as well, the sample size they used was 100, lol!

I guess no one is going to mention that it's not exactly just

anything in the right is censored

and

anything on the left is allowed

but instead it's

when the right post they get going to kill x person, or the election was stolen, fight for your country, women must do what we tell them with their body even if raped, school shooting were faked etc etc

This sometimes gets censored when it's clearly past the line

Where as the stuff on the left is

We want health care for all, fair wages, equal rights, lgbt rights, help for communities that need it, wen for the right to choice what they do with their body etc,

And then the right suffer when they hear these words but they have to endure it.

Commissario
I was just seeing that apparently Musk decided he didn't need to do the normal due diligence before putting in his offer, nor was his offer conditional on him then doing due diligence, and apparently the openly filed documentation for the offer shows this in legalise (normally such an offer documentation clearly states that either you've done your due diligence before putting it in, or the offer is reliant on nothing coming up when the confidential documentation is handed over).

Which basically means he didn't want to do the sort of fact checking and research you do before putting in a firm offer.

Soldato
I guess no one is going to mention that it's not exactly just

anything in the right is censored

and

anything on the left is allowed

but instead it's

when the right post they get going to kill x person, or the election was stolen, fight for your country, women must do what we tell them with their body even if raped, school shooting were faked etc etc

This sometimes gets censored when it's clearly past the line

Where as the stuff on the left is

We want health care for all, fair wages, equal rights, lgbt rights, help for communities that need it, wen for the right to choice what they do with their body etc,

And then the right suffer when they hear these words but they have to endure it.
So when JK Rowling gets rape and death threats, that's the right wing of the Trans community doing it...

Commissario
I wonder why Musk hasn't requested an audit of Twitter's accounts and spam policies. That would provide him with pretty much all of the information he says he needs to see.
My guess is either he doesn't want that as he suspects it won't get him off the hook for his contract, or the contract he signed said he was happy as it was and didn't need/want that.
From what I've seen from various lawyers comments on the documents deposited with the court (and thus open to the public), it looks like he may have foregone a lot of the usual checks that you make and the contract may not allow him to back out by saying "hey that's not what I thought" at a later date.

So when JK Rowling gets rape and death threats, that's the right wing of the Trans community doing it...

To summarise, every single threat jk Rowling had still remains, not a single was removed/censored, every single one came from someone on the left, and every single one came from a trans person. Got it.

I wonder why Musk hasn't requested an audit of Twitter's accounts and spam policies. That would provide him with pretty much all of the information he says he needs to see.

Surely there's more to it

at 43 billion you would have thought all the checks would have been done before hand.

Exactly.

So why wouldn't he? Anyone else thinking he's spending 1 billion to attempt to ruin twitter? He can come out and say something ridiculous like "I'm pulling out as I've seen now almost 30 percent of twitter users are bots, I suggest using x media site from now on"

I can't imagine twitter stock price will stay where it is for long and will be significantly harmed. Nice lower price for someone to snap it up or for another social network to make gains. Anyone know of a new social site that needs help to boost its audience?

Soldato
I was just seeing that apparently Musk decided he didn't need to do the normal due diligence before putting in his offer, nor was his offer conditional on him then doing due diligence, and apparently the openly filed documentation for the offer shows this in legalise (normally such an offer documentation clearly states that either you've done your due diligence before putting it in, or the offer is reliant on nothing coming up when the confidential documentation is handed over).

Which basically means he didn't want to do the sort of fact checking and research you do before putting in a firm offer.
at 43 billion you would have thought all the checks would have been done before hand.
Surely you need inside information to conclude proper due diligence, and why would Twitter be willing to do that pre-offer if they really didn't want Musk in the first place?

I've been part of two acquisitions, helping the interested parties due diligence activities, all done after the offer was accepted. We had 4 offers, and only the one we accepted then went on to an acquisition phase which involved looking at all the internal information and checking that against publicly published information and what information was tendered when inviting offers.

Caporegime

Another nothing burger from Project Veritas. They find some random nobody who works at Twitter and has some personal opinions about the company and his co-workers. Then they claim this is somehow a huge story that vindicates the confirmation bias of their audience. Pathetic.

You would, but they clearly haven't. Musk is complaining that he doesn't have information he has made almost no effort to obtain.

Soldato
I'm just reading some replies on the thread and I don't quite understand some peoples position.

It seems to be anti-Musk.

So does that mean you like Twitter as it is now?

People can't be on both sides of the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom