Fishing - Anybody doing any ?

Associate
My brother in law had a 42lb Common from there back in 2015, don't know what lake it was on as i'm not familiar with the place

Very nice fish, lake one for sure as there aren't any 40's in lake two! I think that's 'the' big common actually. I had a 33lb PB common from lake one when I went last year, was well pleased :D

Associate
Lakes get hammered when people find out there's 40s in it. There has to be cameras or people that can be trusted all the time otherwise everything goes missing.

I think Farlows has been well known for carp fishing since the 80's when it was already producing 30lb+ fish - I imagine it's been getting hammered as long as modern carp angling has existed to be honest. Even without 40's it's a 25 acre clear water gravel pit with an enormous amount of variety and >1000 great looking carp. Not just carp actually, massive pike, bream, perch, tench, roach etc also (not that they get much of a look in sadly other than some winter pikers). So yeah, a recipe for a stupidly busy day ticket venue :eek:

Permabanned
I think Farlows has been well known for carp fishing since the 80's when it was already producing 30lb+ fish - I imagine it's been getting hammered as long as modern carp angling has existed to be honest. Even without 40's it's a 25 acre clear water gravel pit with an enormous amount of variety and >1000 great looking carp. Not just carp actually, massive pike, bream, perch, tench, roach etc also (not that they get much of a look in sadly other than some winter pikers). So yeah, a recipe for a stupidly busy day ticket venue :eek:

Places on day tickets just get greedy especially when they are privatly owned. It's what happens to commercials - they just become money making machines.

Associate
I'm going out on my first charter trip of the year on Saturday, lots of Bream about on the South coast so should be good. I'd love a Spotted Ray as they've alluded me for years, They prefer deeper water so I'll try for one if we head out to the offshore reefs.

I've never seen the appeal of lake fishing for carp, feels to me like you're just fishing in an aquarium, you know exactly what's in there. I like the unknown of the sea where you'll often catch something unusual or unexpected. I would be interested to know what fights harder a 40lbs Carp or a 40lbs Conger.

Soldato
As a fishing addict from my youth to my early 30's it was the packed venues that killed it for me about 10 years ago. Bury Hill is my local "decent" venue and there was a time that joining the club and taking a day off meant you could turn up at 4am - grab a decent quiet swim and enjoy the day alone. That just isn't possible anymore so since then I've only been 4 times, all big game when on holliday (still sitting behind a bunch of rods, but not quite as relaxing). Such a shame really.

Still as the saying goes "you know you are a true fisherman if you cannot go past a body of water without assesing it as a swim" or the like, and I still do that every time.

Man of Honour
I would be interested to know what fights harder a 40lbs Carp or a 40lbs Conger.

Although i've not caught a Conger i'd imagine it'd be a harder fighting fish and probably more like a tug of war,
whereas a Carp in open water you really don't need to put too much pressure on it

Permabanned
I'm assuming here you carp anglers are carying a carp car kit with you at all times?

Do any of you know if anywhere has any stock of carp care (propolis) (big bottles) not the small ones (30ml)

The price of this carp care kit is shocking, some places 9.99 a bottle of 30ml some 12.99 of 30ml.

I'm looking to purchase bulk so that they can be split into smaller bottles to hand out on the bank at our local club.

Soldato
Dave Lane was fishing that swim ^ in his latest video (May Madness, an Island Adventure).

Yeah it was mad.

I was in there before him and had 3 fish, he jumped in directly after me and right before they spawned they went haywire.

He was underarm flicking it 20 yds and managed 14 fish in a day lol. Then the bailiffs were like “nope!” and closed most of the swims on the lake and we all had to go..

Because it’s a proper syndicate they don’t let anglers really fish for them during the pre-spawn period, it’s a bit like seal clubbing and all that added stress can and will kill fish, so it was a good shout by the bailiffs, lake is pretty much closed until sometime in June.

I’m on the church lake at the moment, first time down - but it’s totally different. The fish in here are really pressured as it’s way busier, they show like hell but only feed in very specific spots. Some good fish have been out though, netted a 43lb mirror for someone and one came out at 53lb earlier today.

Soldato
We are about to close the lakes as soon as we see spawning activity. Fish care is paramount.

Yeah it’s one of the reasons the fish around here are stunning and live a long time - they don’t get clobbered during spawning.

One of my friends works for Korda and their day ticket lakes always lose a number of fish during spawning due to stress, as they just let people fish right through it.

Associate
I'm assuming here you carp anglers are carying a carp car kit with you at all times?

Do any of you know if anywhere has any stock of carp care (propolis) (big bottles) not the small ones (30ml)

The price of this carp care kit is shocking, some places 9.99 a bottle of 30ml some 12.99 of 30ml.

I'm looking to purchase bulk so that they can be split into smaller bottles to hand out on the bank at our local club.

Maybe take a look at stuff aimed at koi keepers, no carp tax that way and probably sold in a much bigger bottle. I know my dad used to use a similar product to propolis on his koi, can't remember what it was called though.

Caporegime
Yeah it’s one of the reasons the fish around here are stunning and live a long time - they don’t get clobbered during spawning.

One of my friends works for Korda and their day ticket lakes always lose a number of fish during spawning due to stress, as they just let people fish right through it.
carp when spawning generally are close to not interested in bait.many get foul hooked though. my mate fished farlows for years had some big fish. spent many a summer at lakes when spawning just thinking might as well go home .

Back
Top Bottom