FTTC cancelled, FFTC no longer avail, £6K FTTP install

Caporegime
And maybe if Sky tell people not to contact OFCOM because they don’t take complaints from consumers that might explain their low rate of being complained about. Although if OFCOM don’t take complaints from consumers who exactly is registering all these complaints?
Sky would never tell someone to contact OFCOM, they'd open a complaint internally and if this can't be resolved within 90 days it goes to CISAS.

Caporegime
There's no reason why you should be getting a £6k install charge for FTTP - it says it's available right there. Is there some information that we've not been told, like your house being down the end of a mile-long drive or something?

Where did your previous FTTP quotes come from - were you getting quotes for FTTP on demand?

Associate
OP
The fibre runs 150m from our home so requires a dig, etc. The FTTP quotes were for normal FTTP not on demand.

We can order it but have to pay, not quite sure how OR would get away with saying no FTTC but paying for FTTP to be installed is the only way to get internet.

Caporegime
Ah, so you're hitting excess construction charges then. I've never seen FTTP ECCs in a stop sell area, so I'll be following this to see how they are handled.

Alongside your complaint with Zen I would email Mark at ISPreview who will be able to run your scenario past the Openreach press team and get an answer as to what customers are supposed to do in these situations https://www.ispreview.co.uk/contact.shtml

Zen should be doing a lot more for you here, it seems like there's a process to get your property exempted from a stop sell as effectively FTTP isn't available, it's just been incorrectly marked as served.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have had 2 quotes, one that came to near 12K and that was with Sky who won't touch anything that goes over the 1K. The second was with BT which was 6K+VAT and then the contribution would be applied. However, that order failed for another reason that there is "no fibre service in the area". Basically an engineer screwed up and didn't take readings. So I could re-order with BT, but I would still need to find around 3-4K and it will take months to get service back.

I've emailed Mark too, thank you for the suggestion.

Caporegime
If you have some proof that you notified Zen that you hadn't requested to cancel and they confirmed that it wouldn't be progressing then I think they will find quite quickly that the cheapest way out for them is going to be to pay the ECCs for you, and probably supply a 4G router in the interim. Unfortunately your complaint just hasn't got to someone yet who realises that their reputation could take a much larger hit than £6k for this.

Soldato
Have you tried another provider?, my dad was told the cabinets full when he went to order sky broadband so he tried now broadband and there were no issues.

Caporegime
Have you tried another provider?, my dad was told the cabinets full when he went to order sky broadband so he tried now broadband and there were no issues.
This is an Openreach mandated (and Ofcom approved) stop-sell on all copper products, so that won't work. The address has been tagged as having FTTP available which is technically true, but the large amount of the OPs property that would need to be covered means there are ECCs associated with doing the build. I think Openreach will probably just make FTTC available again and eat the costs of the installation when they finally want to shut off the FTTC cabinet.

I'm hearing more of these stories about how when big problems come up, Zen are unable to deal with them in a satisfactory way.

Associate
My point made, exactly. no OFCOM complaints for you. Low level of complaints. All win eh?
You are either trolling or being deliberately obtuse

This is from Ofcom's own website
Complaints about phone or internet services
We deal with complaints from people and businesses, which helps us to take action against firms when they let customers down.

Parliament has not given us powers to resolve people’s complaints about their phone or broadband service. Instead, these can be dealt with by Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) services.

Although we don’t investigate individual complaints
, by highlighting problems you play a vital part in our work and we might investigate a company if monitoring reveals a particular problem.

I've highlighted the key point here

CISAS is an Ofcom approved ADR provider i.e. they deal with complaints that people "refer to Ofcom". You don't complain to Ofcom, you complain to CISAS IF the company if question haven't resolved your issue

Likewise with your Gas/Electrics, you do t go to Ofgem you go to the Energy Ombudsman.

Ofcom aren't there to deal with consumers, they are there to ensure that communication companies abide by the regulations set out and if they don't then they punish the companies.

Soldato
You are either trolling or being deliberately obtuse

This is from Ofcom's own website

I've highlighted the key point here

CISAS is an Ofcom approved ADR provider i.e. they deal with complaints that people "refer to Ofcom". You don't complain to Ofcom, you complain to CISAS IF the company if question haven't resolved your issue

Likewise with your Gas/Electrics, you do t go to Ofgem you go to the Energy Ombudsman.

Ofcom aren't there to deal with consumers, they are there to ensure that communication companies abide by the regulations set out and if they don't then they punish the companies.

I‘m not being obtuse at all. I’ve actually complained to OFCOM today about a Sky employee telling people not to complain about them to OFCOM. It absolutely boils my blood that the likes of Sky get away with all the crap they do and then they tell you not to bother complaining to OFCOM. And then brag about how they are one of the least complained about providers.

Caporegime
I‘m not being obtuse at all. I’ve actually complained to OFCOM today about a Sky employee telling people not to complain about them to OFCOM. It absolutely boils my blood that the likes of Sky get away with all the crap they do and then they tell you not to bother complaining to OFCOM. And then brag about how they are one of the least complained about providers.
As OFCOM state on their own website they will take your details and Complaint but won't actively investigate or speak to Sky (or any other provider) about your specific complaint. They'll make a note of it and what it's about and that's it. Sure make a complaint but its highly unlikely to result in any action by OFCOM.

Soldato
I'm not sure what KC12 Assure means, even though I've just read an explanation of it. I think it means OR have to carry out a survey for the connection.

So I'm not sure where the money value you've been quoted from Zen. Maybe they think because FTTP isn't available in this moment then you'd have to have FTTP on Demand. Though I didn't think Zen did on Demand quotes.

Either way you need to get on to Zen because they have broken their contract with you, so they have to remedy it.

Caporegime
The OP explained it - FTTP is available in as much as there's a port on the splitter available and assigned to them, but the installation would come in above the budget that Openreach apply to each new connection. It's not FTTPoD.

Excess construction charges more or less aren't a thing that you ever hear about on a residential service, but they do exist. If for example you had a farmhouse that was a kilometre from the Openreach network and you didn't have poles or ducts running to you already, you aren't getting 1km worth of ducting and chambers, or 20 poles put in for the cost of a standard install.

Reactions: KIA
Soldato
And maybe if Sky tell people not to contact OFCOM because they don’t take complaints from consumers that might explain their low rate of being complained about. Although if OFCOM don’t take complaints from consumers who exactly is registering all these complaints?

Having sat through more OFCOM audits than I care to recall, OFCOM define what a complaint is and mandate how they should be recorded, they then audit providers on both the volume of complaints and the time to resolution, but they absolutely do not deal with individual complaints in the manner inferred. They will always direct you to the providers existing complaints process which invariably follows the industry standard and defers to external adjudication in case of deadlock. Few things are as boring as an OFCOM audit :(

Soldato
Having sat through more OFCOM audits than I care to recall, OFCOM define what a complaint is and mandate how they should be recorded, they then audit providers on both the volume of complaints and the time to resolution, but they absolutely do not deal with individual complaints in the manner inferred. They will always direct you to the providers existing complaints process which invariably follows the industry standard and defers to external adjudication in case of deadlock. Few things are as boring as an OFCOM audit :(
Except weirdly, I’ve had a response from OFCOM this morning noting my complaint. Maybe because it’s about how Sky are saying ‘don‘t contact OFCOM’?

Caporegime
Except weirdly, I’ve had a response from OFCOM this morning noting my complaint. Maybe because it’s about how Sky are saying ‘don‘t contact OFCOM’?
They absolutely will accept your complaint. But they also won’t do anything to resolve it or speak to sky on your behalf.

Back
Top Bottom