Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
I am still boggled at Rolls Royce being worth next to nothing, I cant wrap my brain around it fully, but still keep buying shares in them, Not going to make anything from a dividend side of things but they are way undervalued and airtravel has to pick up at some point, so could well be a hold onto them till I fancy a new car in 5 or 6 years time.
It is crazy, especially considering the work that has been done over the last 2 years. I really feel for the staff who have enormous golden hand cuffs wrapped around them!

You'd think flying hours recovering, Trent 1000 issues now being fully resolved and SMR being on the up. But also their defence business given the issues in global stability at the moment!

It may be worth a big punt prior to announcement of their new CEO. Maybe it's the opposite to buy the news, sell the reality.

Soldato
If I was guessing I'd wonder if that market is pessimistic about the nuclear side of the business and expects them to just lose money working on SMR designs that never get built.

Seems like quite an attractive buy to me at the moment though given aviation returning, defence continuing to be a concern etc...

Caporegime
Some really nice gains for AV in last 48 hours since the consolidation.
Ive rebought my relocation and then a bit more.
Started Tuesday at 390 now up to 420.

Didnt want to wait for the cash to arrive to reinvest.

Anyone else got a holding?

Soldato
Put a punt on the 3x long RR today, see how that goes. Skimmed off some nice profits on RR last year during the will she/won't she holiday season, so hopefully will be good to me again.

Associate
so i know this has probably been asked before buttt, i guess this might be a good time to buy some sorts of shares or maybe even crypto (i know 2 very different things)

for someone who hasnt got any shares at all (parents have some through halifax share dealing i believe) what is the easiest and or cheapest way to start buying. Mostly in ftse for now

Soldato
Stocks and shares ISA with one of the free providers like trading 212 would be a good place to start probably.

Different platforms have different pros and cons, not sure if there's one most people would recommend, but trading 212 seems like a decent option.

Soldato
so i know this has probably been asked before buttt, i guess this might be a good time to buy some sorts of shares or maybe even crypto (i know 2 very different things)

for someone who hasnt got any shares at all (parents have some through halifax share dealing i believe) what is the easiest and or cheapest way to start buying. Mostly in ftse for now
have a read through the flowchart and the investing sections of https://ukpersonal.finance/

Soldato
Funds for FTSE is fine, you own the fund and the fund owns shares. nothing wrong with that, UK outperformance is quite possible as the companies are global and the index has a bias to commodities. GBP is weak
Funds is the cheapest path, Halifax for example just started a base fee of £30 a year nothing included in that. Iweb charges 100 to setup and 1.5% forex cost plus stamp duty you will pay hundreds in fees before any profit. Funds are possible to own with tiny % costs and sometimes no platform charge

RR enterprise value of $13bn and low of $11bn in Oct 2020. EPS is not making them cheap right now only in aspirations and their new small nuclear reactor design is not approved for another 2 years. Production end of the decade which is rapid in nuclear terms no doubt but its going to be a long wait. I think it was JPM who wrote down their new activities as being particularly profitable, but its speculation either way.
UK needs energy I know that much and it relates to national security really. Main thing to me is they maintain quality and doing the job correctly, if they do that much they maintain their position in two growing industries. Aviation will grow because Asia is, thats a lot of people who now want to fly so its growth for sure. Lower Sterling helps exporters so maybe it is too cheap, this whole market is pretty negative; DXY is highest in 20 years

I will add FXPO and FCX as I didnt have much. I had FXPO years ago, apparently they are operational seems reasonable the main worry is commodity market itself, global GDP etc. Im bullish on that for this decade relative to currency

Last edited:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Got a little free time due to injury so wont be running so much, so bought a UDEMY course on stocks & shares, I hate trawling the net for stuff i know i could get for free.

Soldato
My general view is that markets this year will be down come the end of the year....but there are opportunities to get holdings in good companies at sensible prices.

Now I just need to figure out what the good companies are, and I can retire :D

Caporegime
I am still boggled at Rolls Royce being worth next to nothing, I cant wrap my brain around it fully, but still keep buying shares in them, Not going to make anything from a dividend side of things but they are way undervalued and airtravel has to pick up at some point, so could well be a hold onto them till I fancy a new car in 5 or 6 years time.
they had massive losses in 2018/2019/2020 though and a tiny profit in 2021 which seem to be mostly from closing down factories and not doing much work.
people seem to think they were booming before covid

Soldato
they had massive losses in 2018/2019/2020 though and a tiny profit in 2021 which seem to be mostly from closing down factories and not doing much work
Most of their book is long term service agreements which due to (now resolved) engine issues in 18/19/20 really nailed them in the early years. Theoretically plain sailing here on out..

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Yep, a significant amount of R&D goes into RR, they are so embedded in the background of UK infrastructure & defence putting aside the aviation side of things. I just find it odd.

Soldato
My general view is that markets this year will be down come the end of the year....but there are opportunities to get holdings in good companies at sensible prices.

Now I just need to figure out what the good companies are, and I can retire :D

Amazon, Alphabet, ASML, Intel,

Im looking to buy ASML soon, i own the rest. Hopefully market will collapse.

Soldato
Musk has always been a loose cannon and a liability. Its just that sometimes his tomfoolery helps you sometimes.
Going on a full yee-haw own-the-libs Republican twitter tirade isn't a great business move for someone selling expensive electric cars to Democrats. He used to be an asset to the Tesla brand with his SpaceX endeavours.

Unless maybe it's just a ploy to get Republicans buying electric cars :)

Amazon, Alphabet, ASML, Intel,

Im looking to buy ASML soon, i own the rest. Hopefully market will collapse.
Intel and AMD I'll keep adding to. ASML I have on my watchlist but I don't know enough about their business.

Back
Top Bottom