• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3050 - starting at $249 (msrp)

Associate
As others have said, maybe consider cancelling and getting the RX 6600. Don't get too bogged down in loyalty to NVidia. I cancelled my 3050 (Gigabyte as well) several weeks ago and got the RX 6600 when it was on offer. Its even cheaper right now.

Associate
3050 should have easily match with 2060S but Nvidia gone very greedy by remaking 12GB 2060 instead, so it would look weird if 3050 beat 2060 on performance... Still better option than 6500XT (on MSRP) for casual gamers.

Soldato
Lol, so much hate.

I've actually been playing around with a 3050 today.

Play Horizon Zero Dawn on 1440p DLSS quality and you will quickly change your mind. The pretty much free higher detail and brllliant AA is a great showcase. I think this is the future for value orientated cards now, render at a lower resolution and then AI upscale.

In terms of non-DLSS performance, plays Destiny 2 at maximum settings, 1296p no problems. AMD cards are currently bugged on Destiny 2 :o in certain locations.

At $249 for the RTX 3050 and $329 for the RX 6600, I would actually recommend the former to 1080p gamers. I suspect that is why the prices are a bit closer together than MSRP.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lol, so much hate.

I've actually been playing around with a 3050 today.

Play Horizon Zero Dawn on 1440p DLSS quality and you will quickly change your mind. The pretty much free higher detail and brllliant AA is a great showcase. I think this is the future for value orientated cards now, render at a lower resolution and then AI upscale.

In terms of non-DLSS performance, plays Destiny 2 at maximum settings, 1296p no problems. AMD cards are currently bugged on Destiny 2 :o in certain locations.

At $249 for the RTX 3050 and $329 for the RX 6600, I would actually recommend the former to 1080p gamers. I suspect that is why the prices are a bit closer together than MSRP.

I play at 1080p, do you really think a 3050 is decent for it? I been looking at 3060 or a 6600 XT lately.

Associate
A real problem the 3050 has right now is the gtx 1070. Offers similar performance in all but raytracing and can be had for under £200 used fairly easily at the moment.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
A real problem the 3050 has right now is the gtx 1070. Offers similar performance in all but raytracing and can be had for under £200 used fairly easily at the moment.

wait for it, i can hear the "but it uses less power!!!" crowd wheezing to their keyboards.

much like amd's low end nvidia seems to really want to not go sub £200 for now, hopefully we will get £100-£150 pricing by end of year but these low end £200 cards are comically bad value. and yes before people moan im not saying they are bad cards (well apart from the amd ones with no video hardware encoding/decoding) but until they get cheaper they are bad value for money.

Soldato
I play at 1080p, do you really think a 3050 is decent for it? I been looking at 3060 or a 6600 XT lately.

If you wont play higher than 1080p, then yes. It is sufficient.

The AA done by the latest version of DLSS is also the best out there which is a massive plus where supported. 1440p dlss quality is actually rendered in 960p, and looks much better than 1080p with any kind of AA including FSR.

RTX 3060 and 6600 XT, can go to 1440p native in some games so are a tier above.

The prices that we have currently mean that the RX 6600 can be a better buy though if it plays nice with your games (£270 vs £290). If you can get the RTX 3050 for £260 or below, then. it is a reasonable purchase. At MSRP of £240 I think its the better buy for 1080p gaming.

If you were contemplating the RTX 3060, i.e. dont mind spending that much, then at £380 it isn't a bad purchase.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone who had the RTX 3050 screen freeze issue on low power usage (i.e. not gaming), are you still having it with newer drivers (v 512.59 was supposed to fix it, but people are saying its still happening), with the default power options (so without setting gpu to high power all the time)?

I really need a low power gpu, and since the slowest from current gen with good video encoding support is 3050, I feel inclined to buy it, but not if it is still crashing.

Ru_

Ru_

Associate
Anyone who had the RTX 3050 screen freeze issue on low power usage (i.e. not gaming), are you still having it with newer drivers (v 512.59 was supposed to fix it, but people are saying its still happening), with the default power options (so without setting gpu to high power all the time)?
I had this problem and it was fixed with driver v512.59. There have been a couple of driver releases since then but I haven't installed them. I've only seen one or two reports of the fix not working - in general the internet seems to have gone quiet about this issue, which I guess means that it's fixed for most people.

Associate
I had this problem and it was fixed with driver v512.59. There have been a couple of driver releases since then but I haven't installed them. I've only seen one or two reports of the fix not working - in general the internet seems to have gone quiet about this issue, which I guess means that it's fixed for most people.

Thanks. Thats what I was wondering, as I haven't read much about users still having the issue since then, except for a few isolated cases immediately after release (and not sure how 'reliable' they were).

I was about to add the card to my basket, but I decided against it for now. I believe the 1630 is expected to be announced on Monday, so I'll wait for that (and any other announcements - hoping for 4gb 3050). Not sure if there will be a price cut just yet, or if that will be when 40-series is announced/released which seems likely to be anytime in Q3, possibly at the Hot Chips expo in August.

Associate
Thanks. Thats what I was wondering, as I haven't read much about users still having the issue since then, except for a few isolated cases immediately after release (and not sure how 'reliable' they were).

I was about to add the card to my basket, but I decided against it for now. I believe the 1630 is expected to be announced on Monday, so I'll wait for that (and any other announcements - hoping for 4gb 3050). Not sure if there will be a price cut just yet, or if that will be when 40-series is announced/released which seems likely to be anytime in Q3, possibly at the Hot Chips expo in August.
If you are looking for a budget card the 6500xt can be had for £144.99 currently.

Associate
If you are looking for a budget card the 6500xt can be had for £144.99 currently.
I would have got that, but its missing the AV1 video decoder. AMD really messed up with using laptop parts for this gpu (where the APU would normaly handle AV1 video). I'm suprised AMD isn't refreshing it with a 6550XT, just with added AV1 decoder.

Back
Top Bottom