Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Soldato
I don't understand insurers.

So went on the compare thing and got it through Swinton for £73.

And what takes the ****, is it's actually the same insurer in the background (West Bay Ltd) that are providing the cover!!!
Tis the norm I'm afraid. The last 3 years of renewals I had from Hastings were always high, so I'd get a quote online and guess who beat them.... Hastings! Tried calling the first time to get them to price match, but they couldn't - so I cancelled my renewal, but took a new policy with them, utter madness.

I'm with Bennett's now, but the move to the S1000R cost me nearly 300 quid, and considering I've been riding since 2007 with full NCB, I'm guessing that they aren't the cheapest - so chances are I'll be going elsewhere at renewal time.

Soldato
So finally got round to working on the exhaust and it seems like there is no overlap between cat box and the header. The just but up against each other which seems strange to me. The gasket is only on the inside and on the cat box side of the connection and there is no gasket that goes round the outside of the joint so that it is air tight. All I could do was align them and put the clamp in the middle to hold them inline with each other. Previously they were not aligned. Unfortunately I didn't take picture.

I took it out for a test ride and it seems quieter than last time thankfully. I'll take into work and see what it is like.

I messed up big time on the way home from the test ride. I was coming up to a roundabout with three junctions. From my side you can go straight, left or double back on yourself. The left turn has a dedicated lane that ignores the roundabout so you have two lanes going straight that merges into one at the other side of the roundabout.

So my first mistake was that I was having too much "fun" on the approach to this roundabout. I'm on the right lane of the roundabout because I was hoping to overtake a van that I see in front at the merge on the otherside of the roundabout. The van is already at the roundabout.

Second mistake was not reacting properly to the uncommon thing in a common situation (thank you dan dan the fireman), the van is on the roundabout but is positioned to turn left (not in the dedicated left lane though they are past the entrance for that) but they are either stationary or moving very slowly. Regardless there is nothing that is hindering them from moving. This isn't normal and at this point I should have aborted by manoeuvre but I don't. I am weary of them though like a switch has gone off in my head to the strangeness of this.

So I'm slowing down to enter the roundabout but not with the intention of stopping. Now that I'm entering the roundabout the van has started moving "straight". At some point i realise they are not going straight but are going round the roundabout and as they are in the outside lane they now need to cross my lane to go round. I start braking even harder with the intent of stopping. I'm on the roundabout and next to rear portion of the van and my exit is now blocked by the front of the van. I know that I cannot stop in time and they are not moving fast enough to clear the exit in time. Thank God I started to turn and I followed them round the roundabout otherwise I would have gone straight into the side of the van.

Stay safe guys. If something seems fishy take it easy.

Man of Honour
So I'm slowing down to enter the roundabout but not with the intention of stopping. Now that I'm entering the roundabout the van has started moving "straight". At some point i realise they are not going straight but are going round the roundabout and as they are in the outside lane they now need to cross my lane to go round. I start braking even harder with the intent of stopping. I'm on the roundabout and next to rear portion of the van and my exit is now blocked by the front of the van. I know that I cannot stop in time and they are not moving fast enough to clear the exit in time. Thank God I started to turn and I followed them round the roundabout otherwise I would have gone straight into the side of the van.

Stay safe guys. If something seems fishy take it easy.
Glad you managed to manouvre out of the situation. I got taken out on a roundabout a couple of months ago. Broken leg, broken hand, will be in casts and crutches for months, written off bike and wife that is adamant I won't ever get on a bike again.

Stay safe.

Soldato
Glad you managed to manouvre out of the situation. I got taken out on a roundabout a couple of months ago. Broken leg, broken hand, will be in casts and crutches for months, written off bike and wife that is adamant I won't ever get on a bike again.

Stay safe.
Sorry to hear that happened to you. I hope the recovery and the physio goes well.

Soldato
I just needed to vent but I think I have tinnitus. I’m more annoyed about this being my first permanent injury rather than the ringing sound. Though the ringing sound is a great reminder that I messed up.

I have always worn filtered ear plugs, though I recently started pushing them in harder because I wasn’t sure they were seated properly but it wasn’t enough. On the way home yesterday realised most of my noise issues was from the screen blasting air in my face, so off that comes before the next ride.

It could be an ear infection or my lack of sleep or irritation from the ear plugs. Or maybe I’m overthinking it, but I don’t want to put my hopes in that.

Edit: now that I’ve had some sleep in hindsight while it sucks in terms of riding related injuries it’s pretty minor and I’ve caught the issue early so I can take steps to prevent further problems.

What stage of grief is this :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I rode from Swindon to Weymouth with no earplugs, back in 2007 on my Ninja 636 - first big ride after passing my DAS that year, and still have tinnitus from that :D

Since then I have always ridden with earplugs, tried all sorts including some mould your own ones, but have settled on the yellow M3 ones that aren't tapered, they do the trick, so I just buy them in bulk.

Soldato
What's everyone's go-to with earplugs?

I have some auritechs but I am just not gelling with them. They move around when I put my helmet on, they feel like I have glue-ear when I put them all the way in and feel like they're off-putting when riding.

I'm also convinced my helmet is extremely noisy also due to being a carbon shell. It's a Bell Race Star.

EDIT - Grabbed some Earpeace Moto Pro! Will see how these are.

Last edited:
Soldato

I have some auritechs but I am just not gelling with them. They move around when I put my helmet on, they feel like I have glue-ear when I put them all the way in and feel like they're off-putting when riding.

I'm also convinced my helmet is extremely noisy also due to being a carbon shell. It's a Bell Race Star.

These for me, even with my CF lid, they do the trick.

Man of Honour

I use an older version of these https://www.flareaudio.com/products/isolate?variant=39368160280679

Caporegime
Many years ago, as a wee apprentice, I used whatever earplugs were cheapest / supplied on site / given to me / etc. I worked on construction sites and very, very noisy places. The noise never really bothered me as I always take PPE very seriously, until one day I was plopped in to Corus for 6 months to help with a project.

Back then anyone who worked there had to have fitted ear plugs so my company bought me some. A bit spendy at 100-odd euros (back in 2003ish) but my word did they change my perception of ear protection. They had little filters that could be swapped so you could literally fine tune them, and despite working in an actual steel factory, I could still have conversations with people. I have perfect hearing and attribute a lot of that to those earplugs. Best PPE I ever owned.

TL;DR - spend a bit and get proper fitted ones, best thing you'll ever do.

Soldato

The auritechs are what I've been using (Not a great endorsement:D). I have found that it is fiddly to seat them properly and form a good seal.

My friend who has been riding far longer than me uses the auritechs and he was surprised that I have tinnitus even while using them. So maybe it is something else causing my ear issues. I'll just wait and see.

Soldato
Random post… Don't think I’ve ever been on this part of the forum before but I seen what I now know to be an R nineT Scrambler at a service station the other day, I’ve never looked at a bike and thought wow before! Couldn’t take my eyes off it.

Is it sensible to go through the hassle of getting a bike licence for the beauty of one motorcycle? :p

Man of Honour
Random post… Don't think I’ve ever been on this part of the forum before but I seen what I now know to be an R nineT Scrambler at a service station the other day, I’ve never looked at a bike and thought wow before! Couldn’t take my eyes off it.

Is it sensible to go through the hassle of getting a bike licence for the beauty of one motorcycle? :p
Yes. Next question.

:)

Soldato

Absolutely yes. They aren't cheap though.

Man of Honour
Anyone own or owned a Triumph Triple 675? They can be had for around £3k mark for a 2011, worth it as a second bike next to the GS? Or any other recommendations?
Yes and yes. Great little bikes. I've got a 2015 RX, the pre 2012s are supposed to be shorter geared as well IIRC so a little bit more wheelie friendly if you're that way inclined.

Caporegime

Yes, absolutely.

Back
Top Bottom