• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone reinstall windows going from older gen to Alder Lake?

Soldato
As per title, anyone encountered any issues with going from an older gen to Alder Lake on windows 10 and above?

I haven't reinstalled in years purely because its just worked every single time and windows 10 auto detects what drivers i need and installs them for me.

Thinking of just doing the same again but interested to see if anyone has encountered any issues with this gens swap?

Associate
I'm afraid I don't know and maybe it's been fixed since. However I do know there were issues initially. Hopefully an alderlake owner will be along to better advise.

Soldato
OP
I'm afraid I don't know and maybe it's been fixed since. However I do know there were issues initially. Hopefully an alderlake owner will be along to better advise.
Yeah hopefully, gonna be doing the transplant tonight. I've had a google and there doesn't seem to be much about it tbh, most people say "yes reinstall" but without any real reason as to why you would need to if it just works as Windows will install the new drivers needed for the new chipset/mobo etc anyway.

G J

G J

Associate
I recently moved from a 8700k to a 12600k + z690 as it only cost me about £70 and I've not reinstalled Windows 10 and it seems the same stability wise. I did install the chipset and IGPU drivers.

Soldato
OP
I recently moved from a 8700k to a 12600k + z690 as it only cost me about £70 and I've not reinstalled Windows 10 and it seems the same stability wise. I did install the chipset and IGPU drivers.
No automatic pickup by Windows to install them?

Not a big problem as i can download the drivers direct from manufacturer website, interesting though that windows doesn't auto detect and install.

Soldato
You want Win 11 if you have efficiency cores. You don't want Win 10 assigning a task to an efficiency core that should have gone to a performance core. I say it this way because there are Alder Lake processors without efficiency cores.

Soldato
OP
You want Win 11 if you have efficiency cores. You don't want Win 10 assigning a task to an efficiency core that should have gone to a performance core. I say it this way because there are Alder Lake processors without efficiency cores.
Is it still an issue now, i remember reading about this now back in November.

G J

G J

Associate
No automatic pickup by Windows to install them?

Not a big problem as i can download the drivers direct from manufacturer website, interesting though that windows doesn't auto detect and install.

I got some weird thing setup with updates where I only get security updates at the moment as Windows 10 kept installing drivers that where older than the ones I already had installed so I looked up some guide on Youtube to defer some types of updates.

In regards to having Alderlake installed on Windows 10 I admit I've not really looked into this but I thought gaming/general benchmarks where near the same.

Soldato
OP
I got some weird thing setup with updates where I only get security updates at the moment as Windows 10 kept installing drivers that where older than the ones I already had installed so I looked up some guide on Youtube to defer some types of updates.

In regards to having Alderlake installed on Windows 10 I admit I've not really looked into this but I thought gaming/general benchmarks where near the same.
Okay thanks, something to look out for then. Can't remember having this issue when i last upgraded but will keep an eye out if they don't install automatically.

Soldato
OP
Its not so bad, it could be better but its perfectly usable :)
I mean the games i play currently are more or less indie games with mostly Squad and Sandstorm insurgency being the most graphically intensive right now lol. I will just have to wait and see, getting those first build nerves again when switching to a whole new architecture/platform.

Caporegime
I mean the games i play currently are more or less indie games with mostly Squad and Sandstorm insurgency being the most graphically intensive right now lol. I will just have to wait and see, getting those first build nerves again when switching to a whole new architecture/platform.

Insurgency Sandstorm, great game, a little known gem.

Back
Top Bottom