12900ks what ram?

Associate
Afternoon all

Thinking of treating myself to a decent gaming rig

12900ks
Asus rog max hero z690

But what ram please? I’m just going to leave the 12900ks not overclocking I see they is all different timings and speed on ddr5 and it’s confusing

Thanks

Soldato
Can I ask if you don't plan on overclocking, what point in there in a 12900KS and ROG Hero plus DDR5? Just get a 12700K, MSI Pro Z690 A and some good DDR4 3600MHz, and see zero difference in games at all.

Associate
OP
Can I ask if you don't plan on overclocking, what point in there in a 12900KS and ROG Hero plus DDR5? Just get a 12700K, MSI Pro Z690 A and some good DDR4 3600MHz, and see zero difference in games at all.
I might look at overclocking at some point but straight away just want to boot it up and play games and everything just be at a good level for doing that.

I also want it to last me a good few years without upgrading so I usually get something decent to start off with

Soldato
I might look at overclocking at some point but straight away just want to boot it up and play games and everything just be at a good level for doing that.

I also want it to last me a good few years without upgrading so I usually get something decent to start off with

There will never be a significant difference between the 12700K and 12900KS for games, a fancy motherboard is great if you plan on filling up all of the slots with drives etc. but otherwise will net you no extra performance, and the Alderlake chips can't run 4x DDR5 DIMM's at decent speed at all, so you'll end up stuck with something slower than DDR4 if you want to add more RAM.
Just over £600 will get you the 12700KF/Z690/32GB DDR4 3600, I mentioned before, that is less than the cost of the 12900KS on its own, you could just stick the savings made to one side and get a proper long term platform in a couple of years with the money left over. We aren't in the 2010-2017 period with total stagnation in the CPU market, so changes are happening much faster, and for now buying cheaper and more often is actually the mores sensible option presently, even more so with brand new RAM and PCI-E standards.

Obviously you can do what you like, just advice from someone who works in the industry, and builds more systems than I have hot dinners. :)

Associate
OP
There will never be a significant difference between the 12700K and 12900KS for games, a fancy motherboard is great if you plan on filling up all of the slots with drives etc. but otherwise will net you no extra performance, and the Alderlake chips can't run 4x DDR5 DIMM's at decent speed at all, so you'll end up stuck with something slower than DDR4 if you want to add more RAM.
Just over £600 will get you the 12700KF/Z690/32GB DDR4 3600, I mentioned before, that is less than the cost of the 12900KS on its own, you could just stick the savings made to one side and get a proper long term platform in a couple of years with the money left over. We aren't in the 2010-2017 period with total stagnation in the CPU market, so changes are happening much faster, and for now buying cheaper and more often is actually the mores sensible option presently, even more so with brand new RAM and PCI-E standards.

Obviously you can do what you like, just advice from someone who works in the industry, and builds more systems than I have hot dinners. :)
Thanks for your help I’ll take it on board. Might just stick with the Xbox series x for now although games that I like I feel run shocking on it warzone for one!

I don’t want to get the itch to upgrade all the time that’s why I always go for something higher end and just stick with it until a massive upgrade leap in 4/5 years is about

Associate
Thanks for your help I’ll take it on board. Might just stick with the Xbox series x for now although games that I like I feel run shocking on it warzone for one!

I don’t want to get the itch to upgrade all the time that’s why I always go for something higher end and just stick with it until a massive upgrade leap in 4/5 years is about
I have to agree with Journey on most of his points above.

The 12900KS and 12700K are super close in games and you'll never really notice a difference in actual gaming. You will notice a difference in your bank account though.

If you did want to treat yourself, the 12700KF/Z690/32GB DDR4 3600 bundle is a really solid shout that should last.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £750.46 (includes delivery: £10.50)​

Soldato
Just to add my two cents, I have the 12700K/MSI Z690-A combo, along with 4x8GB DDR4 Corsair PD 3600 ram, and it has been excellent.

Also has an OC of 5.1/4000 at 1.24V and is utterly stable, so you can OC with this board.

As has been said, for gaming, pointless to get a 12900 over the 12700K.

Back
Top Bottom