Upgraded Home Network 2.5Gb for £130

Associate
I wanted an upgrade between my computer and Synology NAS device.

Found a TP Link TL-SH1005 2.5gbps switch from China £80
2x USB 2.5gbps adapters (R8152 compatible with Synology) - £50

Be careful which USB port you connect to, some on my X370 board were only negotiating 1gbps.

So my computer and Synology connect to the switch which then connects to my main router.

EDIT: Now I don't even use the switch, so £50 cost total. I use the USB <> USB | Main computer and NAS direct cable connection.
Then use the native port on my NAS to my main router for all the other devices.
When your computer has two network adapters, Remember to set the adapter interface metric priority (lower is higher priority) so Internet requests don't try to go through the USB adapter and hang.

Driver for DSM7

image.png

image.png

Last edited:
Soldato
I wanted to do a similar upgrade but with a QNAP NAS. Advantage of mine was a PCI-E upgrade slot so I ordered 2 5gbps NICs. 1 for my main PC and 1 for my QNAP but connected directly together.

Thinking was that I could buy a 5 gbps switch later and upgrade other devices. Turns out 5 gbps isn't that popular certainly at a domestic level and may not be I guess and I'm not seeing much more than 2.5 gbps speeds anyway (may be the write speed of the NAS) so 2.5 gbps seems a decent upgrade if you regularly upload large files.

Soldato
Is there any 40gbit pci cards and switches/routers that can handle that speed, Lol
Heck yes. Mikrotik have just dropped us off a pair of lovely 100GbE switches. £600 plus VAT each. Of course we have no need for that other than to send files over a fibre between them. They’re a talking point and possible upsell for our more demanding customers :)

Soldato
customers? i thought u installed this at home lol. got a link?

https://mikrotik.com/product/crs504_4xq_in is the switch and https://mikrotik.com/product/ccr2216_1g_12xs_2xq is the matching router.

And while we do have well-heeled clients our average job is under £5000 so they’re not THAT big jobs. We support audio installers for fibre optic runs and terminations and their kit is typically 5-10 times the value of the network install that supports it.

What we do have are clients who want to “one-up“ their installs so we’ve done installs with 10GbE and 40GbE routers with 10GbE leased lines into houses that will only ever watch on-demand TV but the client‘s business is paying for it as ‘working from home’ so they get fast connections and I get to play with some nice kit.

Soldato
https://mikrotik.com/product/crs504_4xq_in is the switch and https://mikrotik.com/product/ccr2216_1g_12xs_2xq is the matching router.

And while we do have well-heeled clients our average job is under £5000 so they’re not THAT big jobs. We support audio installers for fibre optic runs and terminations and their kit is typically 5-10 times the value of the network install that supports it.

What we do have are clients who want to “one-up“ their installs so we’ve done installs with 10GbE and 40GbE routers with 10GbE leased lines into houses that will only ever watch on-demand TV but the client‘s business is paying for it as ‘working from home’ so they get fast connections and I get to play with some nice kit.
What would i need to get 40=100GbE at home between say 3-4 dkestops? i guess ethernet cat 8 etc is out of the question and i would need fibre connection? Are there PCI fibre adapters i can plug into each computer and then use a switch/router like the above ?

I basically want to transfer stuff between my computers as if it was all built into one PC.

I would have some computers with NVME HDD's so i want to maximise the transfer rate between two computers that have nvme drives and content inside them.

Infact i could even "stream/play steam games installed on a different computer altogether???

edit: a pci ada[ter for 100gbE is over one grand aka

Mellanox ConnectX-5 Dual Port 100GbE Network Interface Card​

Last edited:
Soldato
What would i need to get 40=100GbE at home between say 3-4 dkestops? i guess ethernet cat 8 etc is out of the question and i would need fibre connection? Are there PCI fibre adapters i can plug into each computer and then use a switch/router like the above ?

I basically want to transfer stuff between my computers as if it was all built into one PC.

I would have some computers with NVME HDD's so i want to maximise the transfer rate between two computers that have nvme drives and content inside them.

Infact i could even "stream/play steam games installed on a different computer altogether???

edit: a pci ada[ter for 100gbE is over one grand aka

Mellanox ConnectX-5 Dual Port 100GbE Network Interface Card​

The fastest NVME hard drives are just shy of 40Gbps so you wouldn’t need more than 40GbE for what you’re suggesting. But I doubt you have the hardware at either end to process that much data at a sustained load. 40GbE and 100GbE are datacentre type workloads. Literally hundreds or thousands of connections being moved over a single fibre.

The truth is that the OP probably isn’t even saturating the 2.5GbE connections on his £130 switch on a consistent basis.

Could you describe what it is you want to do in slightly more detail? We have somewhat hijacked the OPs thread.

Soldato
The fastest NVME hard drives are just shy of 40Gbps so you wouldn’t need more than 40GbE for what you’re suggesting. But I doubt you have the hardware at either end to process that much data at a sustained load. 40GbE and 100GbE are datacentre type workloads. Literally hundreds or thousands of connections being moved over a single fibre.

The truth is that the OP probably isn’t even saturating the 2.5GbE connections on his £130 switch on a consistent basis.

Could you describe what it is you want to do in slightly more detail? We have somewhat hijacked the OPs thread.
Yes we have indeed. Ok i will create a new thread to discuss this further. Thanks!

Soldato
I'd highly recommend just going for 10gbps. It's the next logical jump from 1gbps

Unfortunately most of the affordable (used) 10Gbe stuff doesn't support NBASE-T, so while I agree, you are going to be waiting a while for anything other than desktop/servers to give you a benefit and wifi6 etc. AP's will be capped to 1Gbit which would suck. Also services like VM are going to use NBASE-T as an interim option for at least a few years.

Back
Top Bottom