• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Associate
As a proxy for how cheap older GPUs should have been, I saw Nvidia K80s listed for like £180 recently, AFAIK these aren't desirable for miners and most gamers won't have flocked to them as alternatives so IMO they probs haven't been subject to the price inflation of other cards, they were like $5000 USD back in the day brand new and were still pricy in like 16, 17 etc. IIRC.

Arguably shouldn't stuff like the 1080ti, Titan Xp, 2080ti etc.. have been at more like sub £200 or less by now too? (If it weren't for miners and the knock-on effect of supply issues for gamers)
With video cards, in a normal market to which we are slowing ebbing towards, the used resale value curve tapers off over time, and there's a base functional utility to consider that stabilizes value.

As for the 1080 ti, it still generally outperforms a number of modern cards that are ~£300 so it's value has really only been degraded by its "oldness".

Caporegime
With video cards, in a normal market to which we are slowing ebbing towards, the used resale value curve tapers off over time, and there's a base functional utility to consider that stabilizes value.

As for the 1080 ti, it still generally outperforms a number of modern cards that are ~£300 so it's value has really only been degraded by its "oldness".

Yeah true but I think that's artificially high, there is the utility of the K80 too, essentially two high-end 12GB Kepler cards stuck together with some improvements to help with scientific computing, these were still priced in the thousands back when the Kepler architecture had been superseded by two whole series; Maxwell and Pascal in the retail cards.

Still used in data centers; Google Colab's basic instance relies on these things etc. Yet they're <£200 now and seemingly unaffected by mining but they were worth like 4k second-hand back when you could get a Titan xp for 1k new etc.. now a second-hand Titan is double the price of these. Maybe some data centers dumping them or something has pushed things a bit in the opposite direction?

Pascal is now two generations behind and mining has inflated stuff I think, I'm just trying to kinda (back of a fag packet) get a feel for where things ought to be or perhaps where they might be in a few months if crypto doesn't blow up again and the rest of us get more reasonably priced GPUs, I don't think the current prices are where they'd have been otherwise even noting the utility of some of the high-end cards of two generations ago. I got a 980ti for £260 when the 1070 was circa £400+ IIRC.

Associate
I'm just trying to kinda (back of a fag packet) get a feel for where things ought to be or perhaps where they might be in a few months...
You, me and the rest of the planet :)

I do know that if ADA and RDNA3 are as good as purported, we may be able to buy used cards for the price of filling up at the petrol station. Miners are beginning to unload there rigs, but I don't think we've seen the true ugly face yet of how much supply miners are hoarding.

Caporegime
with the amount of cash they made through mining phase, they can afford to take a loss, though i bet they still make healthy margin on them, as usual, they full of BS

Some of them might have fancied themselves as speculators in addition to miners and ended up taking a loss recently.

Though yeah there must have been crazy margins for some outside the UK, especially IF/when it was profitable to do it in the UK.

Like (legally) you'd have to pay VAT on the GPUs, higher electricity costs inc VAT on the electricity (mining isn't VAT exempt). Someone in the US paying US prices for GPUs, buying them from a state with no sales tax, mining in some state with electricity at 1/2 or 1/3 the cost of UK electricity could have made a fortune and ought to be in a position to just have a firesale on GPUs/flood the market with them if no longer a good business to be in.

(Though having said that there was a guy in the crypto forum a while ago, bizarrely, arguing in favour of mining at a loss.)

With prices down, ETH moving to proof of stake (or at least intending to) and presumably others looking to maybe follow then hopefully there will be plenty of GPUs coming onto the market now...

Man of Honour
Arguably shouldn't stuff like the 1080ti, Titan Xp, 2080ti etc.. have been at more like sub £200 or less by now too? (If it weren't for miners and the knock-on effect of supply issues for gamers)
The 2080ti was a $1200 card and is only one generation old. It performs roughly on a par with the RTX3070 which is a £470 card. Nobody is going to sell a 2080ti for under £200 if equivalent cards are retailing at well over double that. The only way it would be sub £200 would be if the 3070 had had it's price slashed down under £300 but that hasn't happened because the 3070 is current gen.

One might normally have expected a dip to sub-MRSP by this point in the cycle, but not low enough to devalue the 2080ti by that much.

Caporegime
The 2080ti was a $1200 card and is only one generation old. It performs roughly on a par with the RTX3070 which is a £470 card.

Fair point re: the 2080ti perhaps more like 300-something then instead of the 500-something it's currently a 2nd handt? I dunno. Though would the official retail price have maybe come down by now, nearly 4 years later, if not for chip shortages and crypto? (I don't know/can't recall what the "normal" situation was here.)

I guess I was just taken back by the price differences re: a card that isn't used for mining and was more expensive than those cards (even second-hand) at the time they were released.

Soldato
Yeah true but I think that's artificially high, there is the utility of the K80 too, essentially two high-end 12GB Kepler cards stuck together with some improvements to help with scientific computing, these were still priced in the thousands back when the Kepler architecture had been superseded by two whole series; Maxwell and Pascal in the retail cards.

You can't judge the prices of consumer cards against professional cards. You are mainly paying for the software support when you are buying a card like the K80.

Most gamers won't have flocked to them because there is a lot of faffing about to get a K80 to work as a gaming card. You have to setup a cooling solution, you need another GPU or a CPU with an integrated GPU and then there are registry hacks etc. And all that for performance roughly around a 1050Ti. (that's if you can get it to work at all)

OcUK Staff
Hi there

As a headsup as it is very limited numbers, I've put some 3080 12G cards live at £799.99, that is cheaper than some 10G models very limited volume though, going forward expect them to be £829-899 levels, so sub £800 is a good price, especially the Inno3D one with the X4 cooler, essentially a flagship product at entry level price.

Essentially this makes them a very cheap 3080Ti, remember the 12G is not just 2G more VRAM it also has more cores and as such is closer to a 3080Ti in performance than it is a 3080 10G. :)

Soldato
Hi there

As a headsup as it is very limited numbers, I've put some 3080 12G cards live at £799.99, that is cheaper than some 10G models very limited volume though, going forward expect them to be £829-899 levels, so sub £800 is a good price, especially the Inno3D one with the X4 cooler, essentially a flagship product at entry level price.

Essentially this makes them a very cheap 3080Ti, remember the 12G is not just 2G more VRAM it also has more cores and as such is closer to a 3080Ti in performance than it is a 3080 10G. :)
Good deal for anyone that needs one right now.

Soldato
The 2080ti was a $1200 card and is only one generation old. It performs roughly on a par with the RTX3070 which is a £470 card. Nobody is going to sell a 2080ti for under £200 if equivalent cards are retailing at well over double that. The only way it would be sub £200 would be if the 3070 had had it's price slashed down under £300 but that hasn't happened because the 3070 is current gen.

One might normally have expected a dip to sub-MRSP by this point in the cycle, but not low enough to devalue the 2080ti by that much.
The best time to buy used is when the new cards are announced as many see the performance of the new cards and panic sell their current ones. After the 3080 reveal there were 2080ti's selling used for £300-350 and I'd imagine in a few months there will be some bargain basement 3080ti/3090 going 2nd hand but the window to snap them up is small as once the new cards are released and out of stock for a while the prices of used stuff will jump up again and also the reviews may not look quite so good compared to what nvidia will show us.

Soldato
I thought the issue was the price they bought GPU cores for made it "impossible" to hit MSRP.
Every component went up. Memory, mosfets, resisters, capacitors etc. Then there's shipping costs etc that were hit by the pandemic.

That's not BS or an excuse AIBs have come up with because I've seen it in every sector. Laptop and printer wholesale prices went up etc. I even had to pay double MSRP for timber at a builders merchants during the height of the pandemic and struggled to buy fence panels.

Every sector was hit by the pandemic. People don't seem to appreciate how bad things got for all sectors.

Yes, AIBs were scalping but MSRP would have been unachievable even without scalping considering I couldn't even buy timber for MSRP.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Every component went up. Memory, mosfets, resisters, capacitors etc. Then there's shipping costs etc that were hit by the pandemic.

That's not BS or an excuse AIBs have come up with because I've seen it in every sector. Laptop and printer wholesale prices went up etc. I even had to pay double MSRP for timber at a builders merchants during the height of the pandemic and struggled to buy fence panels.

Every sector was hit by the pandemic. People don't seem to appreciate how bad things got for all sectors.

Yes, AIBs were scalping but MSRP would have been unachievable even without scalping considering I couldn't even buy timber for MSRP.

while some of it is true there was a lot of bs on the whole. you can see this from other electronics which mostly have gone down to the lowest prices theyve ever been at. so shipping costs are special for gpus and not for anything else ?

mining greed are the main factor. many companies sold directly to miners and straight on ebay to scalp. now minings basically colapsed there close to retail prices again. it just shows you its only about money.

Back
Top Bottom